What Vet Qbs and Back-Ups to Look at in Off-Season

BuffaloBaumer

3 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'd like to see us make a serious run at Bridgewater.  Why do you think we have no chance to get him?  We have tons of cap space. I'm thinking after his success this year he wants to start. Who can blame him?  

I'd really hate to see us waste a really good D while trying to see if some how Josh can become an accurate passer when the odds of that are like 10 gazillion to 1 he will.

I'd also try to trade for Minshew.  Even a first if that's what it takes.

Minshew threw 416 interceptions in the last game he played.

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

crazy just a few weeks ago ppl were saying how Allen is light years ahead of Tyrod

now fans want him back 

The posts just keep getting progressively worse.   

Name me one person who wants Tyrod back ??

You’re trying too hard ??

Edited by Teddy KGB

1.) If you think Mason Rudolph looks like the "real deal" you haven't been actually watching Stiller games.

2.) JA would benefit greatly from the advice and mentoring of a veteran QB...bring in Fitzy

3.) JA has intangibles you cannot teach, that's what makes great quarterbacks.  He is advancing in every category but the long ball and his gun slingership, which they have neutered out of him. 

5 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Let me start by saying that if you love Josh Allen and his play so far, no need to respond here. This is for people like myself that want a QB with no accuracy issues and that can be a starter for a couple years as to not waste a relatively good defense. With all of the back-up qbs emerging into starters, there must be some vets that will be available as a stop-gap. What might that list look like as I don't think anyone in the front office will admit that Allen is not the guy.....until end of next year.

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Bridgewater (probably no chance)

Big Ben (if Rudolph continues to look like the real deal)

Winston

Sorry, your point is "a QB with no accuracy issues" and then you name Newton. 

Dumb, just dumb

5 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Let me start by saying that if you love Josh Allen and his play so far, no need to respond here. This is for people like myself that want a QB with no accuracy issues and that can be a starter for a couple years as to not waste a relatively good defense. With all of the back-up qbs emerging into starters, there must be some vets that will be available as a stop-gap. What might that list look like as I don't think anyone in the front office will admit that Allen is not the guy.....until end of next year.

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

Doesn’t like accuracy or turnover issues 

lists Winston

6 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

Allen is here for the long haul, deal with it!

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What if he, and this might be crazy, continues to improve???  He is better than he was last year and seems to be a hard worker.  And there was a lot more that happened in SF after Harbaugh left.  They lost a ton of talent and had Jeremy Kerley as their number 1 wr.

I didn't say he couldn't improve. It is possible. He also does seem to work hard and is loved by his teammates. The thing I like about his situation is they are not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole. That is exactly the opposite of what they are doing with Josh here, but Josh has still improved as a passer. I understand trying to get him to cut down on the INT'S, but you have to let him be himself at the same time. Lamar has shown some improvement, but they are letting him play free. I have seen him revert back to last year's Lamar though, especially in the 6 games prior to Cincy. If they are winning then great, but running Lamar is not going to get them to the promised land. It will cost them in the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

So this won’t happen - there’s no need to even entertain this question.  Josh Allen is getting next year with about a certainty of 99%.

If McDermott was on the hot seat then maybe you’d see the team make a move to bring in a player like Andy Dalton.  But McDermott is pretty comfortable and I don’t think this will happen.

6 hours ago, bigK14094 said:

I still think Allen will make it.......when I think of how bad JP Losman was, and how bad EJ Manuel was......Allen is better than either by a lot at this point.  So, cool your jets, Allen is here for at least two more years beyond this....and, by then, we will know.  I shudder to think how long it took Kurt Warmer (two super bowl rings) to mature...including time in the infamous arena league.  What I am saying is Allen has all the tools.....JP didn't have the head, EJ didn't have the arm and had a poor presence on the field.....Josh seems to have avoided those problems.  Yes, he is still working on his mechanics and learning the pro game....but, I think, he will progress.  He didn't play in the SEC or the Big Ten....he played at Wyoming...and, has a little further to come than SEC/ACC QB's imho.

JA is waaaaaaaaay better than Losman or EJ. But he is still not that good. JA is a gamer and i think a winner. Unfortunately he cant throw a long ball and his judgment out there is mediocre. --Still so much better than EJ or Losman that its not even a discussion

10 hours ago, msw2112 said:

The problem with Fitz is that he comes in everywhere, the starter struggles or gets hurt, Fitz comes in and lights it up for a few games (Fitzmagic), you have a QB controversy and it screws up the team chemistry and/or a young guy isn't getting the reps he needs to develop.  It's not Fitz's fault, but that's just how it plays out, time and time (and time) again.  I am a huge Fitzpatrick fan, but I don't see this plan working out for the Bills.

Jordan Palmer made exactly that point when Rosen was discussed.  It's not that Fitz isn't a great guy, helpful and willing to mentor. 

Palmer made the point that Fitz is one of the hardest guys to compete against because he's so likeable.  He's witty, he's extremely football-smart, he can be hysterically funny.  The locker room gravitates towards him and once they play with him and get a taste of Fitzmagic they're his and they're going to be less enthused about the rookie.

Then he falls apart.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Allen is the same age (23) right now that Tom Brady was his rookie season in 2000. Let’s be honest, Allen is unpolished and is simply asked to not lose the game. They want to win with defense and not turning the ball over. Allen has gotten much better at not throwing picks. Where we need to see progression is in recognizing the blitz and where and when to hit the checkdown. 

11 hours ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

While I appreciate your offer not to respond here as an all-in Allen believer, I have to say you’re doing the equivalent of relieving yourself into the wind while driving down the highway—it’s going nowhere you want it to. Allen is here to stay and most definitely not the overarching reason we struggled to put it away Sunday. Room to get significantly better? Of course, but that’s also because what we can see his physical tools allow for as a ceiling is tops in his class—he just has to put it all together and that takes time, which I’m well aware you don’t want to give him. But this FO will, so long as they run the show.