What Vet Qbs and Back-Ups to Look at in Off-Season

BuffaloBaumer

3 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The Big 3 names that could actually be available are Big Ben, Dalton, and Phillip Rivers.

All would be immediate upgrades over Allen, despite their various problems, age, etc.

Folks in this thread keep saying Allen is going nowhere.  Did they notice yesterday how their head coach had no faith in Allen's ability to win the game?  And how they chose to instead play for a tie with a 53 yard FG?

Don't listen to what the coaching staff says, watch what they do.

They have no faith in Allen whatsoever.

That's pure conjecture and you know it.  Secondly, you think Beane and McDermott are going to the Pegulas after this year to get rid of Allen after preaching "The Process"?  If you're so sure, let's make a bet.  Who ever loses, leaves the Board Permanently.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

There is no QB in the world that has no accuracy issues, and the ones you intimate Allen has are overblown.  Allen needs to continue to progress in reading defenses and knowing what his best choices are pre-snap.

Speaking of reading defenses, that goes for his receivers, too. Heard yet another report this afternoon on One Bills Live that Brown missed a hot signal from Josh on the last drive. That’s a couple key missed reads by Brown in the last few weeks. 

On one hand I’m happy that it indicates growth in Allen’s game, on the other I’m concerned that his surrounding personnel is not in the same page enough. Especially at critical junctures in games. 

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

There is no QB in the world that has no accuracy issues, and the ones you intimate Allen has are overblown.  Allen needs to continue to progress in reading defenses and knowing what his best choices are pre-snap.

The biggest thing he needs is experience and good coaching. He has the makeup to make changes and improve. And, quite frankly for a raw, young player he's pretty good.

Maybe if the coaching staff would get Singletary 20-30 touches a game, Josh and the offense might look a lot better.

For good grief, I don’t know how the coaching staff doesn’t see this and makes this the identity. This Singletary kid is a TD maker. Look at how he did this in college and how he has translated it to the pros. 

This staff is trying to make a young Allen into A young Marino when Allen doesn’t have the Mark’s brothers to throw to.

There are 7 games to go. Feed Singletary until he pukes.

And what I have just mentioned folks..........

IS THE BEST FRIEND to a young QB trying to develop in the NFL and become a star.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Pretty sure it was discussed around here and throughout the media many upon many times over. :thumbsup: Again, until yesterday against the Ryan Finley led 0-8 Bengals, Jackson's passing numbers have been average at best throwing the football. Look for yourself. He had 5 TD's and 5 INT's through his previous 6 games throwing the football. He is amazing running it though, I will give him that. Do you honestly believe he would be successful outside of Roman in Baltimore right now? I don't think so. This too shall pass. 

image.thumb.png.93266787d72050ad49bdf60c2ae02b85.png

You are working really hard to hate on Lamar. If Allen was doing this, I’d bring do back flips.  Watch the games.  He dominates at times and their defense isn’t close to as good as ours anymore.  Stop hating and just admit you were wrong about him.  Bill Polian did so can you. ?

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Bridgewater!!!!!!!

not clear he had the most upside, or that he was the rawest prospect.  I believe that title belonged to Lamar Jackson (rawest and most upside), and he is killing it out there with his arms and legs.  Meanwhile, Josh can't hit wide-open WR's on simple deep routes.  

Better than Trubisky. 

jesus christ. I just saw this thread...Are we really this far already?

Usually you see the biggest jump for a QB in years 1-2; the only ones who took a bit longer are Brees and Alex Smith andi f you really go back, Aikman and Bradshaw. 

Allen being so green and raw coming out, you could easily argue this is a year 1 for him which will take us through the end of next season, which is fine honestly. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

You are working really hard to hate on Lamar. If Allen was doing this, I’d bring do back flips.  Watch the games.  He dominates at times and their defense isn’t close to as good as ours anymore.  Stop hating and just admit you were wrong about him.  Bill Polian did so can you. ?

No, I'm really not. I have watched him a bunch of times. I live in VA and we get MANY of the Ravens games. I like watching him play, but that doesn't mean I believe it is sustainable or that he would be successful in another system elsewhere. At one point I liked watching the SF teams with Kaep and the other Harbaugh at the helm. The team (Baltimore) is still well built from top to bottom, they have an excellent coaching staff, a good group of players on offense as a whole, and Lamar is in the perfect system for him. They know what they want to do and they do it well. It doesn't mean that I have to admit he is some amazing QB when I surely don't see him that way. He is an amazing athlete though for sure. That long TD run against Cincy yesterday was a thing of beauty. His style of play will cost Baltimore when it counts, just like last year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It’s nice that so many people are blowing off steam today.  That’s all it is though, because everyone knows Allen is the QB the rest of this year and next year.  His biggest problem area is recognizing defenses pre-snap and going to the right guy.  Young QBs havevto figure that out.  He needs to speed up that learning process.

Long balls don’t concern me that much, although it is strange he isn’t hitting some.  I saw a stat a couple years ago that throws over 30 yards in the air make up maybe 5% of total throws.  You hit one it means a lot but you don’t base an offense on that.

1 minute ago, H2o said:

No, I'm really not. I have watched him a bunch of times. I live in VA and we get MANY of the Ravens games. I like watching him play, but that doesn't mean I believe it is sustainable or that he would be successful in another system elsewhere. At one point I liked watching the SF teams with Kaep and the other Harbaugh at the helm. The team (Baltimore) is still well built from top to bottom, they have an excellent coaching staff, a good group of players on offense as a whole, and Lamar is in the perfect system for him. They know what they want to do and they do it well. It doesn't mean that I have to admit he is some amazing QB when I surely don't see him that way. He is an amazing athlete though for sure. That long TD run against Cincy yesterday was a thing of beauty. His style of play will cost Baltimore when it counts, just like last year. 

What if he, and this might be crazy, continues to improve???  He is better than he was last year and seems to be a hard worker.  And there was a lot more that happened in SF after Harbaugh left.  They lost a ton of talent and had Jeremy Kerley as their number 1 wr.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

It’s nice that so many people are blowing off steam today.  That’s all it is though, because everyone knows Allen is the QB the rest of this year and next year.  His biggest problem area is recognizing defenses pre-snap and going to the right guy.  Young QBs havevto figure that out.  He needs to speed up that learning process.

Long balls don’t concern me that much, although it is strange he isn’t hitting some.  I saw a stat a couple years ago that throws over 30 yards in the air make up maybe 5% of total throws.  You hit one it means a lot but you don’t base an offense on that.

Fair points but if he hits one of those yesterday, we probably win.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

What if he, and this might be crazy, continues to improve???  He is better than he was last year and seems to be a hard worker.  And there was a lot more that happened in SF after Harbaugh left.  They lost a ton of talent and had Jeremy Kerley as their number 1 wr.

Fair points but if he hits one of those yesterday, we probably win.

True.  That’s why I said if you hit one it means a lot.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The Big 3 names that could actually be available are Big Ben, Dalton, and Phillip Rivers.

All would be immediate upgrades over Allen, despite their various problems, age, etc.

Folks in this thread keep saying Allen is going nowhere.  Did they notice yesterday how their head coach had no faith in Allen's ability to win the game?  And how they chose to instead play for a tie with a 53 yard FG?

Don't listen to what the coaching staff says, watch what they do.

They have no faith in Allen whatsoever.

Yes. He'll be a bust to you too given enough time.

On a scale of 1 to 10 how happy are you today?

3 hours ago, GregPersons said:

Tyrod Taylor, Ryan Fitzpatrick, and Josh Allen in one QB room.

Tyrod & Fitz split the first three quarters down the middle. Josh comes in for the 4th. 

Three men combined into one reliably decent QB

I .... I ..... no ... don't do it, Gugny.   Be strong.

1 hour ago, Reed83HOF said:

Allen being so green and raw coming out, you could easily argue this is a year 1 for him which will take us through the end of next season, which is fine honestly. 

Enough with the excuses.  THIS is the second half of year two no matter how you slice it.  2 mini camps, 2 training camps, 2 summers working with Jordon Palmer, 1 1/2 years of watching film.  He's started 20 games.

At what point do we stop making excuses?  3rd season? 40 starts?  5 years?

I'm not ready to give up on him necessarily, but he's a big boy.  Stop making excuses for him.  It's time to step up.  This is the bigs.

1 hour ago, Tesla03 said:

crazy just a few weeks ago ppl were saying how Allen is light years ahead of Tyrod

You never heard me say that :)

• Like (+1) 1