What Vet Qbs and Back-Ups to Look at in Off-Season

BuffaloBaumer

45 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Let me start by saying that if you love Josh Allen and his play so far, no need to respond here. This is for people like myself that want a QB with no accuracy issues and that can be a starter for a couple years as to not waste a relatively good defense. With all of the back-up qbs emerging into starters, there must be some vets that will be available as a stop-gap. What might that list look like as I don't think anyone in the front office will admit that Allen is not the guy.....until end of next year.

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Bridgewater (probably no chance)

Big Ben (if Rudolph continues to look like the real deal)

Winston

Related image

5 minutes ago, ALLEN1QB said:

Buffalo would be crazy to not try and bring Cam Newton in he's basically Josh Allen but more accurate

Cam is done being what he was at his best.  And Bills are not where he will go, he is only going to go into a situation as the unquestioned starter, not to compete.  

Cam is a bad fit here, he isn’t going to be any better than Josh and Josh has a much much bigger ceiling at this stages of their careers.  

I'd like to see us make a serious run at Bridgewater.  Why do you think we have no chance to get him?  We have tons of cap space. I'm thinking after his success this year he wants to start. Who can blame him?  

I'd really hate to see us waste a really good D while trying to see if some how Josh can become an accurate passer when the odds of that are like 10 gazillion to 1 he will.

I'd also try to trade for Minshew.  Even a first if that's what it takes.

Does anyone in their right mind HONESTLY BELIEVE the Bills will throw in the towel on the rawest prospect with the most upside of any of the 2018 QB's, who has shown improvement this year in many areas, and has been clutch when called upon after his 2nd season in the NFL? Really? 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 4

24 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

I still think Allen will make it.......when I think of how bad JP Losman was, and how bad EJ Manuel was......Allen is better than either by a lot at this point.  So, cool your jets, Allen is here for at least two more years beyond this....and, by then, we will know.  I shudder to think how long it took Kurt Warmer (two super bowl rings) to mature...including time in the infamous arena league.  What I am saying is Allen has all the tools.....JP didn't have the head, EJ didn't have the arm and had a poor presence on the field.....Josh seems to have avoided those problems.  Yes, he is still working on his mechanics and learning the pro game....but, I think, he will progress.  He didn't play in the SEC or the Big Ten....he played at Wyoming...and, has a little further to come than SEC/ACC QB's imho.

I would like to think we don't have to compare our current QB to Losman or Manuel. THAT'S exactly how low expectations have been around here...ugh

• Like (+1) 1

Bridgewater!!!!!!!

6 minutes ago, H2o said:

Does anyone in their right mind HONESTLY BELIEVE the Bills will throw in the towel on the rawest prospect with the most upside of any of the 2018 QB's, who has shown improvement this year in many areas, and has been clutch when called upon after his 2nd season in the NFL? Really? 

not clear he had the most upside, or that he was the rawest prospect.  I believe that title belonged to Lamar Jackson (rawest and most upside), and he is killing it out there with his arms and legs.  Meanwhile, Josh can't hit wide-open WR's on simple deep routes.  

28 minutes ago, bills6969 said:

What a dumb post.  Let’s get Allen some playmakers (I.e., Ceedee Lamb) on offense and buildup the oline before we judgements on Allen.  He needs to be more consistent with his passing game ( especially long balls) but he has all the intangibles that you want in a QB (Smart, toughness, leadership) which is not what we could say for most of the QBs weve had over the years.

He has some of the intangibles, but those don't win games.  Hitting long-balls is a basic requirement of a starting NFL QB.  He has weapons, he overthrows them.  Smartness, not sure how "smart" a QB is that continually does not see open WR's.  

41 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Allen has accuracy issues.  A lot of passes of his that are caught, require contortions by the receiver.

I think you need to watch some other QB's play.  This happens more than you think.  Being precise (not really accurate) ain't as easy as it's cracked up to be.  It's why guys like Brady are guys like Brady.

20 minutes ago, H2o said:

Emotional reactions the day after a loss.  Always fun to observe.  Which is not to say Josh doesn't need to step some things up, pre-snap reads the most important from where I see things.  But that takes time to master, and time is growing shorter.

38 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a QB with all the tools, drive, traits and leadership to succeed who has a winning record as a starter on teams devoid of offensive help is already a bust to some of you?

He needs weapons and a better OC.  Brees still sucked at this stage of his career and Allen isn’t sucking.  

He’s got lots to work on and keep developing, but he still is dealing with an inconsistent OL and below average offensive weapons around him with an OC who isn’t putting him in the best positions to succeed.

Allen has more to prove, but he also is far from peaked too.  This thread is pointless, 0% chance he isn’t the top dog going into next season.  

See every QB ever.  Allen’s biggest problem is our receivers suck at making those catches and adjustments.  

This.

If you're looking at bringing in a vet you might as well blow it up bc you're saying you don't believe in what you have.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

not clear he had the most upside, or that he was the rawest prospect.  I believe that title belonged to Lamar Jackson (rawest and most upside), and he is killing it out there with his arms and legs.  Meanwhile, Josh can't hit wide-open WR's on simple deep routes.  

Pretty sure it was discussed around here and throughout the media many upon many times over. :thumbsup: Again, until yesterday against the Ryan Finley led 0-8 Bengals, Jackson's passing numbers have been average at best throwing the football. Look for yourself. He had 5 TD's and 5 INT's through his previous 6 games throwing the football. He is amazing running it though, I will give him that. Do you honestly believe he would be successful outside of Roman in Baltimore right now? I don't think so. This too shall pass. 

image.thumb.png.93266787d72050ad49bdf60c2ae02b85.png

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Pretty sure it was discussed around here and throughout the media many upon many times over. :thumbsup: Again, until yesterday against the Ryan Finley led 0-8 Bengals, Jackson's passing numbers have been average at best throwing the football. Look for yourself. He had 5 TD's and 5 INT's through his previous 6 games throwing the football. He is amazing running it though, I will give him that. Do you honestly believe he would be successful outside of Roman in Baltimore right now? I don't think so. This too shall pass. 

image.thumb.png.93266787d72050ad49bdf60c2ae02b85.png

Yea but Allen isn't doing that against those same teams so by WGR Logic he's a bust.  

The loserism in this town is off the charts.  I don't relate anymore I live outside of DC 2 world champions in 2 years now.  If the low info fans of the world had their way Ovi gets traded 5 years ago and Scherzer was traded in May.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Let me start by saying that if you love Josh Allen and his play so far, no need to respond here. This is for people like myself that want a QB with no accuracy issues and that can be a starter for a couple years as to not waste a relatively good defense. With all of the back-up qbs emerging into starters, there must be some vets that will be available as a stop-gap. What might that list look like as I don't think anyone in the front office will admit that Allen is not the guy.....until end of next year.

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Bridgewater (probably no chance)

Big Ben (if Rudolph continues to look like the real deal)

Winston

Why would Minshew be available?

Any one else ever glue quarters on the sidewalk in a bad part of town to see what crackheads do???? This thread has that vibe.

Allen and Barkley are both here next year. No GM will give up on a 2nd year top 10 draft pick unless they get caught raping a child and shooting up a zoo while high on cocaine. Ain’t gonna happen. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

1 hour ago, Plano said:

Are we forgetting about Andy Dalton?

He'll be the started in Buffalo next year, sig it.

The Big 3 names that could actually be available are Big Ben, Dalton, and Phillip Rivers.

All would be immediate upgrades over Allen, despite their various problems, age, etc.

Folks in this thread keep saying Allen is going nowhere.  Did they notice yesterday how their head coach had no faith in Allen's ability to win the game?  And how they chose to instead play for a tie with a 53 yard FG?

Don't listen to what the coaching staff says, watch what they do.

They have no faith in Allen whatsoever.

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

So a QB with all the tools, drive, traits and leadership to succeed who has a winning record as a starter on teams devoid of offensive help is already a bust to some of you?

He needs weapons and a better OC.  Brees still sucked at this stage of his career and Allen isn’t sucking.  

He’s got lots to work on and keep developing, but he still is dealing with an inconsistent OL and below average offensive weapons around him with an OC who isn’t putting him in the best positions to succeed.

Allen has more to prove, but he also is far from peaked too.  This thread is pointless, 0% chance he isn’t the top dog going into next season.  

See every QB ever.  Allen’s biggest problem is our receivers suck at making those catches and adjustments.  

Yes. He'll be a bust to you too given enough time.