What Vet Qbs and Back-Ups to Look at in Off-Season

BuffaloBaumer

Let me start by saying that if you love Josh Allen and his play so far, no need to respond here. This is for people like myself that want a QB with no accuracy issues and that can be a starter for a couple years as to not waste a relatively good defense. With all of the back-up qbs emerging into starters, there must be some vets that will be available as a stop-gap. What might that list look like as I don't think anyone in the front office will admit that Allen is not the guy.....until end of next year.

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Bridgewater (probably no chance)

Big Ben (if Rudolph continues to look like the real deal)

Winston

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Let me start by saying that if you love Josh Allen and his play so far, no need to respond here. This is for people like myself that want a QB with no accuracy issues and that can be a starter for a couple years as to not waste a relatively good defense. With all of the back-up qbs emerging into starters, there must be some vets that will be available as a stop-gap. What might that list look like as I don't think anyone in the front office will admit that Allen is not the guy.....until end of next year.

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

There is no QB in the world that has no accuracy issues, and the ones you intimate Allen has are overblown.  Allen needs to continue to progress in reading defenses and knowing what his best choices are pre-snap.

• Like (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

I am no Allen fan, but they aint getting rid of him next year, no mattter what happens from here on out.

That being said

The only guy on that list i would like is Minshew...but what cha ya willing to give up to get him? 

BTW, what Barkley ya talking about ? Matt?

Now, i have always liked Matt Moore. 

Fitz is still getting it done to

The problem with Fitz is that he comes in everywhere, the starter struggles or gets hurt, Fitz comes in and lights it up for a few games (Fitzmagic), you have a QB controversy and it screws up the team chemistry and/or a young guy isn't getting the reps he needs to develop.  It's not Fitz's fault, but that's just how it plays out, time and time (and time) again.  I am a huge Fitzpatrick fan, but I don't see this plan working out for the Bills.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 1

I still think Allen will make it.......when I think of how bad JP Losman was, and how bad EJ Manuel was......Allen is better than either by a lot at this point.  So, cool your jets, Allen is here for at least two more years beyond this....and, by then, we will know.  I shudder to think how long it took Kurt Warmer (two super bowl rings) to mature...including time in the infamous arena league.  What I am saying is Allen has all the tools.....JP didn't have the head, EJ didn't have the arm and had a poor presence on the field.....Josh seems to have avoided those problems.  Yes, he is still working on his mechanics and learning the pro game....but, I think, he will progress.  He didn't play in the SEC or the Big Ten....he played at Wyoming...and, has a little further to come than SEC/ACC QB's imho.

24 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

There is no QB in the world that has no accuracy issues, and the ones you intimate Allen has are overblown.  Allen needs to continue to progress in reading defenses and knowing what his best choices are pre-snap.

Allen has accuracy issues.  A lot of passes of his that are caught, require contortions by the receiver.

What a dumb post.  Let’s get Allen some playmakers (I.e., Ceedee Lamb) on offense and buildup the oline before we judgements on Allen.  He needs to be more consistent with his passing game ( especially long balls) but he has all the intangibles that you want in a QB (Smart, toughness, leadership) which is not what we could say for most of the QBs weve had over the years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 6

So a QB with all the tools, drive, traits and leadership to succeed who has a winning record as a starter on teams devoid of offensive help is already a bust to some of you?

He needs weapons and a better OC.  Brees still sucked at this stage of his career and Allen isn’t sucking.  

He’s got lots to work on and keep developing, but he still is dealing with an inconsistent OL and below average offensive weapons around him with an OC who isn’t putting him in the best positions to succeed.

Allen has more to prove, but he also is far from peaked too.  This thread is pointless, 0% chance he isn’t the top dog going into next season.  

4 minutes ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

Allen has accuracy issues.  A lot of passes of his that are caught, require contortions by the receiver.

See every QB ever.  Allen’s biggest problem is our receivers suck at making those catches and adjustments.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

No love for Ryan Tannehill that doing good in Tennessee?

Just now, ALLEN1QB said:

Buffalo would be crazy to not try and bring Cam Newton in he's basically Josh Allen but more accurate

I can't see Cam wanted to go somewhere and be a backup, at the very least he'd want to compete to start. I could see him with the Dolphins, Bengals, Raiders, Chargers (pending Rivers), Broncos, Redskins, Bears or Buccaneers before coming here. 

43 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Barkley

Minshew

Newton

Winston

So are you admitting you are done with Allen; because we already know you were never on board?

• Like (+1) 1