If Playing Time is earned, why not Un-earned! (edited)

plenzmd1

I want to see McDermott this week walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Granted we do not see practice, but based on performance in games I think these folks have “ earned “ a seat or very reduced snap count

1) Lee Smith. Maybe some offensive guru can provide me the reason why the Bills are better when he in the game in 12 personnel, but on the surface I don’t see it. Add in his ridiculous penalty rate and I am just at a loss. Sweeney deserves to play and dress over him. Maybe 85 is instrumental on ST’s or something. 

2) Frank Gore. Think his age is starting to show, and he is just not getting the job done. And if the game plan continues to focus on passing, why not have your best pass catching back out there. Not like either of these guys play on teams. Gore has earned an inactive too. Damn, Reid can air Shady, McD can sit a guy who is a first year player for him. 

3) Wallace. Yep, he gunna get targeted like crazy with teams shying away form 27, but that doesn’t meant trying Johnson outvtjeee should not be considered. I know Wallace does not play inside, so sitting may require him to be inactive, so be it. 

I would also also say Murphy, just not sure that there is a better option either not active or on the PS.

In the end,  I think all McD s rhetoric can be lost he does not practice what he preaches. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I want to see McDermott this week walk the walk and not just talk the talk. Granted we do not see practice, but based on performance in games I think these folks have “ earned “ a seat or very reduced snap count

1) Lee Smith. Maybe some offensive guru can provide me the reason why the Bills are better when he in the game in 12 personnel, but on the surface I don’t see it. Add in his ridiculous penalty rate and I am just at a loss. Sweeney deserves to play and dress over him. Maybe 85 is instrumental on ST’s or something. 

2) Frank Gore. Think his age is starting to show, and he is just not getting the job done. And if the game plan continues to focus on passing, why not have your best pass catching back out there. Not like either of these guys play on teams. Gore has earned an inactive too. Damn, Reid can air Shady, McD can sit a guy who is a first year player for him. 

3) Wallace. Yep, he gunna get targeted like crazy with teams shying away form 27, but that doesn’t meant trying Johnson outvtjeee should not be considered. I know Wallace does not play inside, so sitting may require him to be inactive, so be it. 

I would also also say Murphy, just not sure that there is a better option either not active or on the PS.

In the end,  I think all McD s rhetoric can be lost he does not practice what he preaches. 

frank gore’s role HAS gone significantly down

Agree with all the above. Lee Smith is a huge liability. We have Kroft, Knox and Sweeney. If he's only blocking, but not getting penalties, then he's worth it. Otherwise, sit your ass down! Gore - yeah, the miles are catching up. Keep him active, but more Singletary. Wallace - This is the worst one. Burned, then re-burned and burned again. You HAVE to try something else.

I'll add the Star is also a liability. Put Corey Liuget or Vincent Taylor in to replace. I don't care how much we've paid the man!!

Lee Smith is atrocious.  He was the first time he was on the team and he still is today.  Penalty after penalty after penalty.  And they are pretty much all stupid penalties too.  Pre-snap.  Holding guys when they are already out of the play.  Its absurd seeing him on the field still.

• Like (+1) 5

This is why I don’t have confidence in this staff. They continue to play players who should not be playing. Lee Smith should not be on this team but yet continues to see the field. Gore looks slow but at least he’s contributed to the team this year Lee Smith has hindered the team in every games he’s played. 

• Like (+1) 2

• Hapless Bills Fan changed the title to If Playing Time is earned, why not Un-earned! (edited)

This isn't the first we have seen this.  I hate to give anyone nightmares, but remember Vlad....This staff does seem to be stubborn when it comes to making personnel moves with veteran players who are not carrying their weight.  I'm still a supporter of the staff, but this does frustrate me (as does the "strategy" at the end of yesterday's game, but that was addressed in another thread).  Lee Smith is known as a great run blocker.  If there was evidence of our great run game with him leading the charge, you can put up with a penalty or two.  There is no such evidence (that I have seen) and the penalties are horrible.  Smith is a class act and a great locker room/sideline guy, and that's where he needs to show his influence - in the locker room and on the sideline.  Not on the field.

it's changed the last 20 years, used to be you messed up again and you didn't get back in, especially in the NHL

now who cares, out you go to screw up again with the same mistake all the live-long game

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 1

All very good points. I think they put up with Lee Smith penalties because he’s truly a valuable blocker/finisher and big part of their game plan. I think Singletary usage will go up but only if the defense doesn’t stack the box. I do think Wallace is going to get a hard look vs Kevin Johnson. This week won’t be the one to worry about as much as the next time we play a really good WR tandem 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

All very good points. I think they put up with Lee Smith penalties because he’s truly a valuable blocker/finisher and big part of their game plan. I think Singletary usage will go up but only if the defense doesn’t stack the box. I do think Wallace is going to get a hard look vs Kevin Johnson. This week won’t be the one to worry about as much as the next time we play a really good WR tandem 

Yolo, sometimes you have to weigh the good vs the bad. Smith's good (blocking)< Smith's bad (penalties). This guy is a seasoned pro. This shouldn't be happening weekly.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Only because Preston Williams is hurt. He abused Levi last time around.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I do think Wallace is going to get a hard look vs Kevin Johnson. This week won’t be the one to worry about as much as the next time we play a really good WR tandem 

It depends on whether they stick to zone or have to go man-to-man, which where Wallace got exposed yesterday.   

I think they'll throw a lot of zone at Fitzpatrick and make him have to dink and dunk to move down the field...

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

Yolo, sometimes you have to weigh the good vs the bad. Smith's good (blocking)< Smith's bad (penalties). This guy is a seasoned pro. This shouldn't be happening weekly.

Not saying it is what i would do -  saying I think its what they are doing 

Just now, Lurker said:

It depends on whether they stick to zone or have to go man-to-man, which where Wallace got exposed yesterday.   

I think they'll throw a lot of zone at Fitzpatrick and make him have to dink and dunk to move down the field...

They were correct to go man vs Baker who struggles with that coverage, but Levi is definitely a better zone corner 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

My issue here is that the combination of Gore and Smith is functioning as a key for the defense.... It’s why Smith was wide open on that TD pass earlier in the season. Sadly, Daboll hasn’t really gone back to that or much else when both players are in the game at the same time. On the slight chance that Daboll call that play 3/4 of the defense can chase Smith down in the open field.