ROCKPILE REIVEW - The Bills Don't Have Quite Enough

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

“The Bills Don’t Have Quite Enough”

The Browns beat the Bills Sunday, 19-16, in a game that proved what a lot of people thought:  The Browns were better than their 2-6 record suggested, and the Bills were worse than their 6-2 record suggested.  The odds makers were giving the Bills 3 points or, in other words, giving the Browns the home-field advantage in a game that looked even.

And even it was.  The Browns made just enough plays to win, just a few more plays than the Bills made.  The Browns won the statistical battle by a little here and a little there.  The Browns were just a little better.

The game reinforced the recurring themes about the Bills in 2019.  They don’t run the ball well enough, they don’t stop the run well enough, they don’t pass the ball well enough.  And, on Sunday, they didn’t kick the ball well enough, either. 

This was a game decided by the skill positions.  The simple fact is that the Browns are better at all the big offensive skill positions – their two wideouts are better, their two running backs are better and at least on Sunday, their quarterback was better. 

The wideouts were the most important difference.  Beckham demanded Tre White’s attention all day long, and he was a handful for White.  White gave him a big cushion most of the game, which allowed Beckham some first down catches that hurt, but in general, White contained OBJ. 

That left Levi Wallace one on one with Jarvis Landry.  Wallace survived, I suppose, but just missed defending the two biggest passes of the day.  On Cleveland’s opening drive, Landry got behind Wallace and caught a perfectly thrown 17-yard TD pass.  Wallace found the ball a split second too late, and his attempt to deflect the ball just missed.

Then late in the fourth quarter, with the Browns attempting to put together a drive to win the game, Wallace just missed deflecting the ball again, this time on a 24-yard completion off a long crossing route.  Wallace was beat early as Landry sliced through the defensive backfield, but Wallace closed late and had a play on the ball.  He just couldn’t make it. 

A couple of plays later, Wallace was beaten for the winning touchdown.  The Bills were in an all-out blitz and Wallace had to overplay the quick out route.  When Higgins cut upfield and curled toward the center of the endzone, Wallace couldn’t recover.  Mayfield did a nice job buying time for Higgins to make the cuts and then delivered the ball for an easy catch. 

It would be easy to blame Wallace, but the fact is that Landry has been a superior receiver for a long time, and Wallace often had no help.  He just lost a couple of battles against a really good player. 

Brown and Beasley are nice receivers, but they can’t challenge defensive backs on every play like Beckham and Landry.  Trade Beckham for Brown or Beasley for Landry and the outcome of the game is different.  Brown ran some lovely routes, and Allen found him often enough, but Brown needs to be open to make his catches.  He rarely comes up with the ball when he’s tightly covered.  Beasley was solid again on Sunday, but he isn’t a receiver to really test a defense. 

Same story in the running game.  The Bills’ defensive front seven were outblocked sometimes but did well enough to keep from being run over.  The Bills’ offensive line didn’t block for the run as well as the Browns’, but they did well enough to give Singletary and Gore opportunities.  The difference was Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, two of the most talented running backs in the league.  Chubb combines quickness and power in a way that lets him hit and get through holes and break tackles for additional yards.   He’s one of those guys who just doesn’t go down.  And Hunt constantly threatened to break away.  The Bills checked him adequately, but he still collected a lot of yards running and receiving. 

Josh Allen posted a typical losing QB stat line.  He threw a lot – 41 times – and connected just enough – 22 times – to get decent yardage – 266.  If the running game had been more productive, he would have thrown less often and completed a higher percentage.  If he were a premier QB, he would have thrown 41 times and completed a higher percentage.  Either way, the Bills likely would have won the game.  But Allen isn’t yet the guy who is so good, so knowledgeable, that he can put the team on his back and win when the rest of the offense is overmatched.  He might become that guy, but he isn’t that guy yet.

Allen didn’t throw badly.  He had some balls that weren’t as accurate as they should have been, but everyone has a few of those.  His problem was that he didn’t have, or couldn’t find, open receivers.  A premier QB would have been changing plays at the line of scrimmage, coming off primary receivers to complete more passes and keep the chains moving, and making passes with pinpoint accuracy, like the throw he could have made to McKenzie in the end zone at the end of the first half. 

Allen wasn’t quite good enough, and Baker was just a little better.

A couple of weeks ago, the Bills replaced Duke Williams in the active roster and began to play combinations of speed receivers – McKenzie, Foster and Roberts.  That experiment seems to be failing.  None of those guys is making an impact in the receiving game.  Williams would give Allen something that none of the other receivers offers – a big target with demonstrated ability to make contested receptions.  Williams would be a guy that Allen could go to when his principal options aren’t there. 

A good example was Allen’s throw to Brown on 4th and 4 at the end of the third quarter.  Brown made the in cut with the defender right on his back.  Allen threw the ball well, although it could have been lower.  The defender reached around Brown and broke up the play.  Williams has a much higher probability of making that catch – Brown just isn’t the physical player Allen needs in that situation. 

There always are a lot of reasons to be unhappy when the Bills lose, but this loss was particularly painful because the loss wasted essentially three classic goal-line stands.  The Browns ran eleven plays from inside the three-yard line, most from the one yard-line, on two possessions and came away with a field goal.  In the end, the Browns were about to go for it on fourth and short, but a false start penalty pushed them back five yards and they settled for the field goal.  A Browns fan sitting next to me said that the center intentionally took the false start to force Kitchens to take the field goal.  The players knew the Bills simply weren’t going to let the Browns see the end zone.

The goal line stands were magnificent, old-school football.  Beautiful.

And Edmunds sack of Mayfield for a safety highlighted again how the defense always seems to have a different look, a new wrinkle.  Edmunds rarely blitzes, and he practically never blitzes when he lines up tight to the line of scrimmage.  Mayfield ignored Edmunds at the left end of the line.  No one expected he was coming. 

But the safety, too, was wasted in a game where the Bills were close but not good enough.  The Bills defense gave up big TD drives to open and close the game and was solid enough the rest of the time.  The Bills offense didn’t produce enough running or enough passing.  Sixteen points isn’t enough.  Simple as that. 

Oh, and then there’s Hauschka.  I don’t like looking for scapegoats, because football teams win and lose together, but it’s a different game if Hauschka makes one of his kicks.  He didn’t, and no one picked him up. 

I got to watch the game from a suite on the fifty.  A big thank you to my host Mike, who was more than happy to have this Bills fan and my buddy join him for the game.  Pizza, burgers, dogs, wings inside, with TV and radio play-by-play, seats on the fifty outside with TV and radiant heat above.  Tough duty. 

First half I was inside and didn’t hear the crowd.  Second half I was outside.  The Browns fans weren’t as loud as I expected they’d be, until the Bills final drive, when they really rose up.  And the Bills fans did a solid job making noise when it was their turn.

My wife, who was not at the game, happened to hear Mayfield’s post-game interview.  In a comment that makes you wonder if the guy is smart enough to be permitted to drive, let alone quarterback an NFL team, Mayfield complained that Browns fans have to learn not to make so much noise when the Browns have the ball.   Really, Baker?  You thought those were Browns fans making all that noise? 

The Bills are close.  They need to get better, in every phase.  They need a little more talent, and they need the talent they have to play a little better. 

On to Miami, another road game they should win, and if they’re going to make any noise this season, a game they must win.  Fitz will be waiting.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 15
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

The Browns beat the Bills Sunday, 19-16, in a game that proved what a lot of people thought:  The Browns were better than their 2-6 record suggested, and the Bills were worse than their 6-2 record suggested.  The odds makers were giving the Bills 3 points or, in other words, giving the Browns the home-field advantage in a game that looked even.

And even it was.  The Browns made just enough plays to win, just a few more plays than the Bills made.  The Browns won the statistical battle by a little here and a little there.  The Browns were just a little better.

The game reinforced the recurring themes about the Bills in 2019.  They don’t run the ball well enough, they don’t stop the run well enough, they don’t pass the ball well enough.  And, on Sunday, they didn’t kick the ball well enough, either. 

This was a game decided by the skill positions.  The simple fact is that the Browns are better at all the big offensive skill positions – their two wideouts are better, their two running backs are better and at least on Sunday, their quarterback was better. 

The wideouts were the most important difference.  Beckham demanded Tre White’s attention all day long, and he was a handful for White.  White gave him a big cushion most of the game, which allowed Beckham some first down catches that hurt, but in general, White contained OBJ. 

That left Levi Wallace one on one with Jarvis Landry.  Wallace survived, I suppose, but just missed defending the two biggest passes of the day.  On Cleveland’s opening drive, Landry got behind Wallace and caught a perfectly thrown 17-yard TD pass.  Wallace found the ball a split second too late, and his attempt to deflect the ball just missed.

Then late in the fourth quarter, with the Browns attempting to put together a drive to win the game, Wallace just missed deflecting the ball again, this time on a 24-yard completion off a long crossing route.  Wallace was beat early as Landry sliced through the defensive backfield, but Wallace closed late and had a play on the ball.  He just couldn’t make it. 

A couple of plays later, Wallace was beaten for the winning touchdown.  The Bills were in an all-out blitz and Wallace had to overplay the quick out route.  When Higgins cut upfield and curled toward the center of the endzone, Wallace couldn’t recover.  Mayfield did a nice job buying time for Higgins to make the cuts and then delivered the ball for an easy catch. 

It would be easy to blame Wallace, but the fact is that Landry has been a superior receiver for a long time, and Wallace often had no help.  He just lost a couple of battles against a really good player. 

Brown and Beasley are nice receivers, but they can’t challenge defensive backs on every play like Beckham and Landry.  Trade Beckham for Brown or Beasley for Landry and the outcome of the game is different.  Brown ran some lovely routes, and Allen found him often enough, but Brown needs to be open to make his catches.  He rarely comes up with the ball when he’s tightly covered.  Beasley was solid again on Sunday, but he isn’t a receiver to really test a defense. 

Same story in the running game.  The Bills’ defensive front seven were outblocked sometimes but did well enough to keep from being run over.  The Bills’ offensive line didn’t block for the run as well as the Browns’, but they did well enough to give Singletary and Gore opportunities.  The difference was Nick Chubb and Kareem Hunt, two of the most talented running backs in the league.  Chubb combines quickness and power in a way that lets him hit and get through holes and break tackles for additional yards.   He’s one of those guys who just doesn’t go down.  And Hunt constantly threatened to break away.  The Bills checked him adequately, but he still collected a lot of yards running and receiving. 

Josh Allen posted a typical losing QB stat line.  He threw a lot – 41 times – and connected just enough – 22 times – to get decent yardage – 266.  If the running game had been more productive, he would have thrown less often and completed a higher percentage.  If he were a premier QB, he would have thrown 41 times and completed a higher percentage.  Either way, the Bills likely would have won the game.  But Allen isn’t yet the guy who is so good, so knowledgeable, that he can put the team on his back and win when the rest of the offense is overmatched.  He might become that guy, but he isn’t that guy yet.

Allen didn’t throw badly.  He had some balls that weren’t as accurate as they should have been, but everyone has a few of those.  His problem was that he didn’t have, or couldn’t find, open receivers.  A premier QB would have been changing plays at the line of scrimmage, coming off primary receivers to complete more passes and keep the chains moving, and making passes with pinpoint accuracy, like the throw he could have made to McKenzie in the end zone at the end of the first half. 

A couple of weeks ago, the Bills replaced Duke Williams in the active roster and began to play combinations of speed receivers – McKenzie, Foster and Roberts.  That experiment seems to be failing.  None of those guys is making an impact in the receiving game.  Williams would give Allen something that none of the other receivers offers – a big target with demonstrated ability to make contested receptions.  Williams would be a guy that Allen could go to when his principal options aren’t there. 

A good example was Allen’s throw to Brown on 4th and 4 at the end of the third quarter.  Brown made the in cut with the defender right on his back.  Allen threw the ball well, although it could have been lower.  The defender reached around Brown and broke up the play.  Williams has a much higher probability of making that catch – Brown just isn’t the physical player Allen needs in that situation. 

There always are a lot of reasons to be unhappy when the Bills lose, but this loss was particularly painful because the loss wasted essentially three classic goal-line stands.  The Browns ran eleven plays from inside the three-yard line, most from the one yard-line, on two possessions and came away with a field goal.  In the end, the Browns were about to go for it on fourth and short, but a false start penalty pushed them back five yards and they settled for the field goal.  A Browns fan sitting next to me said that the center intentionally took the false start to force Kitchens to take the field goal.  The players knew the Bills simply weren’t going to let the Browns see the end zone.

And Edmunds sack of Mayfield for a safety highlighted again how the defense always seems to have a different look, a new wrinkle.  Edmunds rarely blitzes, and he practically never blitzes when he lines up tight to the line of scrimmage.  Mayfield ignored Edmunds at the left end of the line.  No one expected he was coming. 

But the safety, too, was wasted in a game where the Bills were close but not good enough.  The Bills defense gave up big TD drives to open and close the game and was solid enough the rest of the time.  The Bills offense didn’t produce enough running or enough passing.  Sixteen points isn’t enough.  Simple as that. 

Oh, and then there’s Hauschka.  I don’t like looking for scapegoats, because football teams win and lose together, but it’s a different game if Hauschka makes one of his kicks.  He didn’t, and no one picked him up. 

I got to watch the game from a suite on the fifty.  A big thank you to my host Mike, who was more than happy to have this Bills fan and my buddy join him for the game.  Pizza, burgers, dogs, wings inside, with TV and radio play-by-play, seats on the fifty outside with TV and radiant heat above.  Tough duty. 

First half I was inside and didn’t hear the crowd.  Second half I was outside.  The Browns fans weren’t as loud as I expected they’d be, until the Bills final drive, when they really rose up.  And the Bills fans did a solid job making noise when it was their turn.

My wife, who was not at the game, happened to hear Mayfield’s post-game interview.  In a comment that makes you wonder if the guy is smart enough to be permitted to drive, let alone quarterback an NFL team, Mayfield complained that Browns fans have to learn not to make so much noise when the Browns have the ball.   Really, Baker?  You thought those were Browns fans making all that noise? 

The Bills are close.  They need to get better, in every phase.  They need a little more talent, and they need the talent they have to play a little better. 

On to Miami, another road game they should win, and if they’re going to make any noise this season, a game they must win.  Fitz will be waiting.

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

Good post! I disagree with the Duke Williams for McKenzie. I don't disagree if its Duke for Lee Smith. I'm of the belief we have had our best offense when we stay away from our "heavy, multiple TE" packages. And, in turn we have run better with the McKenzie motion and spread package. We have also gotten Josh into more of a rythmn passing when we do that. JMO, but when we go heavy and try to run with Gore it hasn't worked. We get penalties and put ourselves in a hole with the sticks because we can't push people around upfront. Our tempo has slowed to crawl offensively as well, Pick up the pace, spread it out and balance the run and pass better.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Good post! I disagree with the Duke Williams for McKenzie. I don't disagree if its Duke for Lee Smith. I'm of the belief we have had our best offense when we stay away from our "heavy, multiple TE" packages. And, in turn we have run better with the McKenzie motion and spread package. We have also gotten Josh into more of a rythmn passing when we do that. JMO, but when we go heavy and try to run with Gore it hasn't worked. We get penalties and put ourselves in a hole with the sticks because we can't push people around upfront. Our tempo has slowed to crawl offensively as well, Pick up the pace, spread it out and balance the run and pass better.

I agree about going heavy.   Eight mediocre blockers don't do any better than seven mediocre blockers.   

Going with Williams isn't going heavy.   It's giving up some deep speed in exchange for a guy who (I think - this certainly hasn't been proved) could make big possession catches the Bills, like on the play I mentioned.  

3 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree about going heavy.   Eight mediocre blockers don't do any better than seven mediocre blockers.   

Going with Williams isn't going heavy.   It's giving up some deep speed in exchange for a guy who (I think - this certainly hasn't been proved) could make big possession catches the Bills, like on the play I mentioned.  

I'm happy with having Duke active instead of Smith so we have multiple weapons situationally. With Knox and Croft we should have enough TEs active if we spread out more and open up the running lanes more.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower

On the note of WR's I have stated a few time made a few threads Williams should be active every week to give the Bilsl that big body man v man target for Josh on some of these short yardage situations not to mention his run blocking.  i seen the Bill try to use Roberts in this role and he just is not a very good WR, great return man WR not so much.  The deep ball is not a reliable option for the most part and the Bills are selecting Foster.  yeah he had a mid range catch but that was about it.  Some say he is ther for ST well i think offense options vs St options is more important.  McKenzie is the other WR in this Bermuda triangle of inactive/active WRS each week.  

Still scratching my head why you attack the Browns number 4 pass defense and ignore attacking the Browns number 30 run defense.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

I'm happy with having Duke active instead of Smith so we have multiple weapons situationally. With Knox and Croft we should have enough TEs active if we spread out more and open up the running lanes more.

Agree but speaking of Kroft where was he yesterday.  All this money for A TE that is invisible.  I haven't looked yet but wondering if Knox is getting more reps than Kroft

56 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

GO BILLS!!!

Great Summary, thanks as always!

I was in Alabama yesterday flying home to Canada-following the play by play while we waited for the plane to depart.  I was elated when Hughes took the fumble in for the TD as I followed the game thread on here. Then it was called back. Disheartening to say the least. Then my wife say, FG Damn he missed. I was so crushed thinking maybe this was a game we were going to escape with a win but not meant to be. I have chosen not to watch the recording and will jump right into Miami week.

Lot's of good posts going around, tough board when we lose..reason for hope, reason for dispair. 

I'm concerned we have yet to have "that game" we are looking for. I am now going to call it that "titans win over chiefs game" . It's awesome to be 6-3, still optimistic for the remainder of the season. But if we continue to beat the teams we should Miami, Denver, Jets, I would even put the Steelers in there even though they are playing well, does it really satisfy what we are looking for as a fan base yet.  At some point We need a statement win to be taken seriously byy the outside media and maybe even by a lot of us fans. Dallas would be a great national time to do it,  or lets take a shot at Baltimore, maybe get monkey off our back in NE. If we don't take any of these, then we will go down  this season as a middle of road team. Maybe that's what we are, not the doom and gloom some say on here, but not as great as we hoped..including myself. We need some more pieces and you are dead on about our WR. Maybe you can tell me, was Kroft in anyway a factor, target yesterday? 

I like MCD, but I have to wonder about Singletary eight touches? Like I thought Daboll got the message last week but clearly..I dunno

Like I said, I didn't watch this game, just super frustrated!

Let's rebound this week! Go Bills!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I disagree that we don’t have enough on offense. We don’t have enough to be an elite offense but we absolutely have enough to put up 21 points a game which will make us a dangerous team. 
The problem is we don’t work to our strengths consistently enough or when it matters. Simply not enough run plays, not enough plays on third down where Beasley is the guy (I mean that’s why we got him right). 

Coaches have to be better at using our strengths more frequently 

Couple of things I kind of disagree with:

Singletary only had 8 carries for 48 yds and a 5.0 ave.  Cleveland run defense is near the bottom of the league, which this brings home the point, the run game was working when used.  There is no way Cleveland has that much time at the end of the game if the play calling revolved around the run game.

During our last drive, Allen was on target and moving the Bills into position to win, yet for some reason, the coaches decided to pull up, allow time to run down with a huddle and go for a 50+ fg that Hauschka hasn't made in his last 5.

My BIL is a Browns season ticket holder and his opinion of the Browns is they always shoot themselves in the foot.  Most of the blame is towards the coaching.  During the game, I had to agree with them.  However, the Bills coaching (who I think is the best we have had since Marv)  was just a little bit worse with their game time decisions.

Edited by mabden
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

All that Lee Smith has proved is he's worthless in pass catching and great at getting penalties. I could care less if Duke is considered a light TE/ WR hybrid. Just get him more targets and get Smith off this team. Last I checked Sweeney and Knox are still listed as TE's. Wallace has clearly dropped in performance from last year. And I don't know if Johnson is any better? Josh is not " just missing" on these long throws. He's primarily overthrowing these wide open players by ALOT.....Maybe Dorsey's never heard of the word trajectory.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER

I'm really not so mad at this game, because there really wasn't anything surprising.

I think a lot of Bills fans on here had convinced themselves that "the Brown will always suck," that they were utterly worthy of their 2-6 record, and their win over the Ravens was an "any given Sunday" fluke. But, I think most of us knew that the Bills still have a ways to go. Did we really think that Allen's progression as a QB was complete? Did we think that Knox is suddenly elite? Do we think we suddenly have an elite #1WR? It's the same group of guys out there, slowly improving as a team, but still missing a true playmaker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Rocky Landing said:

I'm really not so mad at this game, because there really wasn't anything surprising.

I think a lot of Bills fans on here had convinced themselves that "the Brown will always suck," that they were utterly worthy of their 2-6 record, and their win over the Ravens was an "any given Sunday" fluke. But, I think most of us knew that the Bills still have a ways to go. Did we really think that Allen's progression as a QB was complete? Did we think that Knox is suddenly elite? Do we think we suddenly have an elite #1WR? It's the same group of guys out there, slowly improving as a team, but still missing a true playmaker. 

I was more sad then angry because it told me everything I was trying to ignore was true.

Buffalo simply isn't all that good, especially on O.

Thanks OP for helping confirm my beliefs.

The Buffalo Bills need a sprinkle of elite, or borderline elite players to take the next step in my humble opinion.

Something that doesn't come easily... 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

I agree.

I don't agree with people about Wallace.  Landry is a #1 wideout, 22nd in the league last year, and Wallace is a #2 corner.  Mayfield made some great throws.  

I agree about Singletary's touches, but a better Allen would have won the game passing. 

Gotta give it time.  This is a team that's growing. 

7 minutes ago, Figster said:

I was more sad then angry because it told me everything I was trying to ignore was true.

Buffalo simply isn't all that good, especially on O.

Thanks OP for helping confirm my beliefs.

The Buffalo Bills need a sprinkle of elite, or borderline elite players to take the next step in my humble opinion.

Something that doesn't come easily... 

There is one more talent upgrade coming next season.  In the draft and free agency.  Then the core will be on the team. 

Bills have to hope Oliver and Ford have some real impact next season.  

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I agree.

I don't agree with people about Wallace.  Landry is a #1 wideout, 22nd in the league last year, and Wallace is a #2 corner.  Mayfield made some great throws.  

I agree about Singletary's touches, but a better Allen would have won the game passing. 

Gotta give it time.  This is a team that's growing. 

There is one more talent upgrade coming next season.  In the draft and free agency.  Then the core will be on the team. 

Bills have to hope Oliver and Ford have some real impact next season.  

PTR had commented on how star players can also develop from the draft. Something I can agree on.

The problem is depending on the position its very hit and miss, especially at the WR position. Something another fellow poster commented on.

Its easy to say Buffalo needs elite players. Much harder and often times very expensive to accomplish.