Rational Thoughts after the Browns

corta765

Some people are putting most the blame on Allen for this game but he didn't have a bad game in this one.  He made some mistakes and didn't make some plays, which happens to most qb's every week.  Allen was responsible for 84% of the Bills offense including the 2 touchdown runs.  Mayfield was responsible for 62% of Browns offense.  
The most glaring mistakes Allen made was a fumble that was recovered and then missing on the McKenzie pass.  Otherwise Allen did enough to win this game imo.  Bills I think only had 1 3-and-out series in the game.  That first FG shouldn't have been missed and the one at the end of game shouldn't have been kicked there.  

For the Bills to be successful Allen does need to play better.  But he's not going play perfect and hit 80% of his passes and make every read and every play.  With no running game like against Philly and Cleveland, and some missed field goals, Bills won't win many games. 

• Like (+1) 1

57 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Seriously, when has desperation made any difference in skills?

JFC - WHEN will the Bills ever get that GD desperate?  We've all been waiting nearly TWENTY YEARS!

- asking for a friend...

This was an observation of teams we've lost to, not an excuse.  But it absolutely makes a difference in how you prepare and focus.  Pay attention to any playoff game or elimination game.  A lot more focus.

On 11/12/2019 at 12:22 PM, HappyDays said:

I don't agree with this at all. We called a 20 yard pass play on 3rd and 4, we just didn't execute it. At that point it was too late.

Right and they wasted a ton of time besides a poor play call. That’s a high risk play in terms of success when a run or short pass gets the 1st and keeps the drive going. It was atrocious situational football.

corta765 you must be reading my mind.  I really like your take on things and I think you're spot on in every one.  Personally, I get the feeling JA is going to really shine in year 3.  This year is like his pre-injury rookie season.  The change in his game after that time off was night-and-day.  I think he'll do the same with a full season under his belt.  He's had so much to learn and process this year it's very difficult to put everything together so quickly.  But last season, IMO, is good evidence that his brain and body can put it all together once he's had time to let things stew for a bit.  Once he gets the chance to put it all on the back burner for a few months, he'll probably come back a very different player.  That's my dream anyway.  We can all dream, can't we?

#3 -- I couldn't agree more. Daboll seems to be allergic to handing the ball off to Singletary. It's insane.

#5 -- You have to learn how to manage a game before you can open it up. Allen makes far too many mistakes with the ball in his hands to expect this team to win consistently if he is going to make bonehead plays like he always does when he's trying to do too much. He's not Mahomes and he never will be.

On 11/13/2019 at 11:00 AM, Chemical said:

I agree, Allen needed to be put in a good situation to be a good QB (even average tbh).  Instead he was sheltered by a Peterman and thrown into the fire because of it. 

These are are not the coaches you want developing a QB. 

Ive seen people say Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson would not be as good if they ended up in Buffalo. That may be true, but they would be better than Allen. They at least had a track record of running prolific offenses in college. 

I agree the Bills don’t have to coaches you want for QB development. Mahomes and Watson are better than Allen and would be in Buffalo as well. Jackson I think is unique, and needs exactly what the Baltimore coaching staff is doing to have success. He’d be the proverbial square peg with the conservative coaching he’d get here. 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:13 PM, billsfan_34 said:

That sums it up nicely. McDermitt better learn quick how to step on an opponents neck  and also remove himself from his love fest of a few players; Lee Smith, DiMarco, and Gore. They are all a huge liability- Smith the most with his penalties.

Don't hold your breath.   It is not in his nature.   He coaches to try to win by 1 point.   He does not coach to be dominant on both sides of the ball all game long.   He wants to get ahead by a point then crouch down in the fetal position and hope the other team runs out of time trying to beat him.   That is what you get with McDermott.  That is what you are always going to get from him.   It is programmed into his personal character of being a nice guy.

I think he is otherwise a good coach. He just lacks that desire for total dominance.   He wants to win, but only in a nice, friendly, competitive, sometimes you win sometimes you lose kind of way.  In other words, emotionless.   Shucks, let's just do our best guys.  If that isn't good enough today, well then, so be it.

18 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

Don't hold your breath.   It is not in his nature.   He coaches to try to win by 1 point.   He does not coach to be dominant on both sides of the ball all game long.   He wants to get ahead by a point then crouch down in the fetal position and hope the other team runs out of time trying to beat him.   That is what you get with McDermott.  That is what you are always going to get from him.   It is programmed into his personal character of being a nice guy.

I think he is otherwise a good coach. He just lacks that desire for total dominance.   He wants to win, but only in a nice, friendly, competitive, sometimes you win sometimes you lose kind of way.  In other words, emotionless.   Shucks, let's just do our best guys.  If that isn't good enough today, well then, so be it.

I really hope this leopard can change his spots ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/13/2019 at 8:00 AM, Chemical said:

I agree, Allen needed to be put in a good situation to be a good QB (even average tbh).  Instead he was sheltered by a Peterman and thrown into the fire because of it. 

These are are not the coaches you want developing a QB. 

Ive seen people say Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson would not be as good if they ended up in Buffalo. That may be true, but they would be better than Allen. They at least had a track record of running prolific offenses in college. 

Josh was a project QB out of college whom many pundits said would be best served sitting 1-2 years before starting. The Bills mismanaged their QB situation in 2018 and rushed Josh in. 2019 is his second year and he still has a long way to go despite some massive improvement. I am not shocked that a project QB with tantalizing physical ability is not a polished product half way through year 2 and about 20 starts in. Josh will be the team's QB in 2020 and will still come with some growing pains. But as long as he steadily improves I have no issues.