Rational Thoughts after the Browns

corta765

8 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

It’s definitely a rarity in Buffalo. More talent would definitely be nice. Although, I do wonder if it’s coaching too since there are college receivers who won’t get drafted making those types of plays. 

Seattle's TE, fight for the 50/50 ball and one handed catch last night, for example.

Edited by Pokebball

3 hours ago, MarkyMannn said:

O-line still needs help in the off-season.  Dawkins was beat a lot Sunday by Myles Garrett

I don't disagree that the Bills could use an upgrade on the offensive line this offseason -- specifically at RIGHT tackle. However, with regard to your second sentence: Just about EVERYONE in the NFL gets beat my Myles Garrett. He's tied for the league lead in sacks. No whiz kid rookie is going to come in and stymie that guy, either. He's arguably the best (or at least in the top three) edge rusher in the entire NFL.

Edited by Logic
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

Seattle's TE, fight for the 50/50 ball and one handed catch last night, for example.

Interesting that you used that play...

The one guy that I could consciously recall making a catch like that for us was Knox..

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/highlight-dawson-knox-makes-great-catch-for-21-yards . Sadly, he’s also good for an untimely drop. 

3 minutes ago, Logic said:

I don't disagree that the Bills could use an upgrade at right tackle this offseason. However, with regard to your second sentence: Just about EVERYONE in the NFL gets beat my Myles Garrett. He's tied for the league lead in sacks. No whiz kid rookie is going to come in and stymie that guy, either. He's arguably the best (or at least in the top three) edge rusher in the entire NFL.

Pretty sure Garrett didn’t actually get a sack either... Just a “strip” which was ruled an incompletion. Aside from that I think the only other game he didn’t get a sack in was Baltimore (could be wrong). 

• Like (+1) 2

59 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I’d actually be content with just rolling with Sweeney, Croft, and Knox. Foster has been playing well on ST so I think he stays active. I think an issue is that none of these guys have separated themselves from the other talent. Knox’s drops keep him from being the guaranteed starter. As for Duke, he’s big and he catches everything.... Use him. I’ve said it elsewhere... They’ve run every McKenzie gadget play effectively with other personnel. If he’s not killing it on teams swap him out for Duke and get some catch radius out there. 

It’s definitely a rarity in Buffalo. More talent would definitely be nice. Although, I do wonder if it’s coaching too since there are college receivers who won’t get drafted making those types of plays. 

Most of us have had enough of Lee Smith. I think the majority on here are frustrated with the offense as a whole not growing under Daboll and poor game plans/in game adjustments/play calling. Going to Miami and coming out with a W can help some of these wounds. 7-3 with Denver at home isnt too bad but we have to play 4 quarters and run the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2019 at 12:50 PM, kbarrettb said:

Josh Allen is avg at best. 

Even if this were true, I would take it. Just look at how many below average starters there are in the league. There are VERY few above average and elite QBs. 

1 hour ago, Nester said:

I am losing confidence in the play calling and general game strategy.

This. Allen takes all the blame in these spots, but Daboll is doing him NO favors. He’s terrible. The guy has never been a good OC. EVER. he’s always ranked near the bottom. What made them think he could develop a young QB and develop game plans to his strengths?

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

1. Daboll gets guys open. The final 3rd down call was aggressive and JA made the correct read.

2. Singletary had 7 catches so he got the ball more than 8 times. I agree more commitment to the run with Singletary moving forward would be wise.

3. Tre was great but he was torched on a go route that would have been a touchdown on first drive if it was a better throw. Even tye best ones give up big gains

4. The media is finally catching on and asking the right questions - lack of turnovers, accountability for penalties.

This is incorrect. There was a blitz coming from Allen’s left. He should have thrown to the empty space they created, which was the wide open Beasley for the first down. The play should have taken place with 50 seconds remaining. 

2 hours ago, Nester said:

I am losing confidence in the play calling and general game strategy.

Is it the play calling and game stategy or poor decision making by Allen and poor execution?

O needs some consistency and Singletary might be the one that can provide it.  

Daboll is hardly at fault in this. And JA is a natural winner/great athlete who just has no ability to throw long with any accuracy or timing.

JA needs to throw a couple of bombs a game to keep the D honest. Even if the other team knows he cant hit the broadside of a barn

they still arent gonna let a WR get 20 yds behind them. So this keeps them somewhat honest.And daboll correctly sees this but takes

the blame when JA throws inaccurate passes OR doesnt see a wide open receiver.

Dabolls only alternative here is to never call a long pass(over 30 yards in the air) and to have Josh act as more of a slash type of QB-RB.

3 hours ago, billsfan_34 said:

Most of us have had enough of Lee Smith. I think the majority on here are frustrated with the offense as a whole not growing under Daboll and poor game plans/in game adjustments/play calling. Going to Miami and coming out with a W can help some of these wounds. 7-3 with Denver at home isnt too bad but we have to play 4 quarters and run the ball. 

I feel like Daboll has gotten more predictable over the season. Perhaps it’s to keep turnovers down, but it’s been counter productive. 

6 minutes ago, Tcali said:

Daboll is hardly at fault in this. And JA is a natural winner/great athlete who just has no ability to throw long with any accuracy or timing.

JA needs to throw a couple of bombs a game to keep the D honest. Even if the other team knows he cant hit the broadside of a barn

they still arent gonna let a WR get 20 yds behind them. So this keeps them somewhat honest.And daboll correctly sees this but takes

the blame when JA throws inaccurate passes OR doesnt see a wide open receiver.

Dabolls only alternative here is to never call a long pass(over 30 yards in the air) and to have Josh act as more of a slash type of QB-RB.

It really doesn’t matter if he hits on those throws. It’s the simple fact that it could happen that helps. Now.... if the could connect on a few it would definitely open things up. Can’t rely on that though.... hope in one hand and _____ in the other. I would like to see some more seams, deep crossers and digs. I feel like Daboll has kind of gone away from intermediate and deep routes to the middle of the field after the NE game. 

7 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

This is where I'm at. Guys are open all over the field. Execution is just way off.  I expect JA to miss the occasional throw, but the number of drops is astonishing to me. Those are absolute drive killers. 

I think he meant targets. 

...so then is it Allen's inability to go through his reads and progressions timely?......hence failed execution?....how do you see it and where is/are the faults?......

20 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

I feel like Daboll has gotten more predictable over the season. Perhaps it’s to keep turnovers down, but it’s been counter productive. 

It really doesn’t matter if he hits on those throws. It’s the simple fact that it could happen that helps. Now.... if the could connect on a few it would definitely open things up. Can’t rely on that though.... hope in one hand and _____ in the other. I would like to see some more seams, deep crossers and digs. I feel like Daboll has kind of gone away from intermediate and deep routes to the middle of the field after the NE game. 

Predictability in an offense will grind it to a hault unless you want to line up and have the horses to play smash mouth for the tough yards.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Junction said:

good points. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chemical said:

This is incorrect. There was a blitz coming from Allen’s left. He should have thrown to the empty space they created, which was the wide open Beasley for the first down. The play should have taken place with 50 seconds remaining. 

No. Daboll said in his press conference that Allen made the correct read presnsp

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No. Daboll said in his press conference that Allen made the correct read presnsp

He’s wrong

go to exactly 8 minute mark. He explains it perfectly:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bills-daily-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1145479962?i=1000456470680

Edited by Chemical

10 minutes ago, Chemical said:

He’s wrong

go to exactly 8 minute mark. He explains it perfectly:

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/locked-on-bills-daily-podcast-on-the-buffalo-bills/id1145479962?i=1000456470680

That’s the problem with Josh’s development he’s being coached by someone whose clueless. Daboll even justified the offenses huddle. All this leads me to believe that the young QB is being coached improperly.  The head coach and offensive coordinator don’t even appear to be on the same page. The HC says they need to get the ball more to Singletary but yet the OC calls for him to get only 8 carries. You know they are not on the same page when this is not the first time the HC has said they need to get Singletary more touches. 

It’s been shown in multiple games this year whenever the opposing team’s defense has a weakness Daboll has the offense do the opposite. Your QB has fumbling problems but yet you continue to call designed runs for him instead of giving the ball to your most effective RB. 

On 11/11/2019 at 12:33 PM, Jobot said:

One thing that dawned on me regarding the three losses this year..

One was vs the Patriots

Two were against teams that essentially had their seasons on the line.

Seriously, when has desperation made any difference in skills?

JFC - WHEN will the Bills ever get that GD desperate?  We've all been waiting nearly TWENTY YEARS!

- asking for a friend...

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Iverwig said:

That’s the problem with Josh’s development he’s being coached by someone whose clueless. Daboll even justified the offenses huddle. All this leads me to believe that the young QB is being coached improperly.  The head coach and offensive coordinator don’t even appear to be on the same page. The HC says they need to get the ball more to Singletary but yet the OC calls for him to get only 8 carries. You know they are not on the same page when this is not the first time the HC has said they need to get Singletary more touches. 

It’s been shown in multiple games this year whenever the opposing team’s defense has a weakness Daboll has the offense do the opposite. Your QB has fumbling problems but yet you continue to call designed runs for him instead of giving the ball to your most effective RB. 

I agree, Allen needed to be put in a good situation to be a good QB (even average tbh).  Instead he was sheltered by a Peterman and thrown into the fire because of it. 

These are are not the coaches you want developing a QB. 

Ive seen people say Jackson, Mahomes, and Watson would not be as good if they ended up in Buffalo. That may be true, but they would be better than Allen. They at least had a track record of running prolific offenses in college. 

On 11/11/2019 at 1:38 PM, K-9 said:

When you’re outcoached by Freddy Kitchens, not much else can be said. McD is simply too rigid in his thinking, taking after Ron Rivera when it comes to playing not to lose. And Daboll continues to disappoint. He coaches like he has zero confidence in his players. Hard for players to play when their balls are held in a jar inside the medical tent. 

BINGO!

I have often felt like he is trying to "win" by trickery which implies his lack of confidence in his players.

Can they find someone else to call the plays?