Rational Thoughts after the Browns

corta765

1. Yesterday was a foundation shaking moment with the coaching staff that questions a bit the long term viability of this staff. You play to win you don’t play to tie. On the final drive the offense is moving and the moment they hit FG range the coaching staff panicked. The NFL is an offense driven attack league and you are rewarded for doing so. To not go for the win was as bad as Rex punting agaisnt Miami. Long term the defense will not be great with free agency, salary cap, age etc that set in. Your going to have to win with your QB and scoring. My faith is still with this coaching staff but it is a bit shaken at this point.

2. Cole Beasley had his best game to this point and he and Josh seem to finally have some chemistry. It’s take a bit compared to Allen and J Brown but it’s good to see that improvement has come. If the Bills have any hope of the playoffs moving forward they need Beasley their to help.

3. Against the 30th ranked rushing defense that was your plan? It’s maddening that a player like Singletary gets just 8 rushes against that defense. If they loss but ran Singletary 25 times I honestly would be less mad then 8 carries. This feels like Chan and CJ Spiller all over again.

4. The offense in general cannot get out of its own way. They should be scoring 20+ pts a game yet they take a penalty, Miss a FG, drop a ball, Miss a throw etc it’s tiresome. Their not bad their inconsistent which is almost worse. It was easier last year just to say they suck and best of luck Josh. This year they do have some talent and I’m losing hair with the mistakes they make.

5. Allen was ok. He had his misses, he had his plays, idk what to say anymore. The coaching staff seems to want him as just a game manager and by removing the hero ball quality the offense is less dynamic. They drafted him to make plays and instead have neutered him down to never taking shots. Why bother cutting Tyrod if this is what to ur comfortable with.

6. This is less game more Bills in general. It has been a long twenty years now of the team not taking that next step not making the statement and instead ripping your heart in pieces in front of you. The shadow that haunts all of us that exists because of these years grew larger yesterday and feels more unavoidable. You know when your franchise has it’s turning point moment and that you can buy into really believing the bigger days are coming. I think to the Seahawks and Wilson knocking off NE at home in 2012 as their big break through.

Fans for weeks have battled over the value of a win because we haven’t had this moment. For a organization in year 3 I think you hope it happens soon. By the same point it’s so tough being a fan and I don’t blame anyone with unrest/fear/disappointment with the team. Lucy has pulled that football from us soo many times, how can you not feel the shadow of past failures in 2011 or 08 creep closer especially after yesterday’s disaster.

Assuming the Bills do what they should against MIA/DEN they have four games in a row with that chance that maybe things are finally different and you can turn that corner a bit. By the same token they’ve created a situation where many doubt if the Dallas game even matters to the extend it does now. It’s just become so hard in ways to have fun and believe when the amount of evidence for years makes you want to say no.

7. Tre White passed hit top WR test. In his first two years when he faced the likes of AJ Green or Keenan Allen they beat him for one or two big plays. Not yesterday. The all pro press is real and deserved and I’m happy for Tre.

8. Robert Foster is looking more and more like just another guy who had a few nice moments. It’s disappointing because I loved his play last year and he felt like such a possible focal point to the offense. Overall I think this regime has done a great job drafting, but Foster was that offensive possible gem you hoped turned into the guy especially with how many other skill position offensive guys haven’t worked out.

9. If you went to the game what was it like attending and the stadium? 

Edited by corta765
  • Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 3

Good post. 

I'll add - Josh missing the deep throws is amplified by how difficult it is for us to finish 10-12 play drives, given our inevitable mistakes.  Brown-Beasley-Knox-Singletary are nice players, but we're relying on a high level #2 WR to be a #1, a good slot WR to be a #2 and a rookie RB/rookie TE, led by a 2nd year QB, that was raw to begin with.  There's nobody that really bails Josh out to make us forget he's struggling with his deep balls. 

Josh is a beast in the red zone, contrast that with strugglesville red zone Baker.  Baker missed on his deep throws as well... but Chubb, Hunt and Landry picked him up all game by making big plays, as we had to dedicate our best player to shutting down Odell.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, Jobot said:

One thing that dawned on me regarding the three losses this year..

One was vs the Patriots

Two were against teams that essentially had their seasons on the line.

yep two of the clubs that were getting raked over nationally for their internal struggles and divisive cultures.  All they needed was a date with the process-driven Bills to get back on track.

3 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Well, the Bills' season is on the line next week in Miami.  We'll see how that goes.

It probably is, but they won’t be any more talented next week. They are what the record says they are. Can’t beat more talented teams, they can win close games with the rest. Another close game that could go either way with a play here or there is on deck. 

51 minutes ago, corta765 said:

1. Yesterday was a foundation shaking moment with the coaching staff that questions a bit the long term viability of this staff. You play to win you don’t play to tie. On the final drive the offense is moving and the moment they hit FG range the coaching staff panicked. The NFL is an offense driven attack league and you are rewarded for doing so. To not go for the win was as bad as Rex punting agaisnt Miami. Long term the defense will not be great with free agency, salary cap, age etc that set in. Your going to have to win with your QB and scoring. My faith they understand and will do this is shaken at this point.

This is my biggest takeaway. Yesterday was huge in this regard - the biggest thing, positive or negative, that this staff has done since McDermott punted in OT vs Indy.

8 minutes ago, zow2 said:

yep two of the clubs that were getting raked over nationally for their internal struggles and divisive cultures.  All they needed was a date with the process-driven Bills to get back on track.

Agreed.  Shakes my confidence in the coaching staff a bit.

Nice to hear a non-emotional, rational take today. The Nancy's apparently all took the day off from work/school.

I would've liked my coach to go for the win there. Very frustrating that Motor was neglected. My Browns friend was most worried about him prior to the game. We did them a solid.

IMO, Josh is still developing .......and improving. He is 2 years removed from Wyoming & lack of good coaching there.

We need more weapons next year bad.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, r00tabaga said:

Nice to hear a non-emotional, rational take today. The Nancy's apparently all took the day off from work/school.

I would've liked my coach to go for the win there. Very frustrating that Motor was neglected. My Browns friend was most worried about him prior to the game. We did them a solid.

IMO, Josh is still developing .......and improving. He is 2 years removed from Wyoming & lack of good coaching there.

We need more weapons next year bad.

The game needs to slow down more for Josh to scan the field for receivers #3 and 4. He missed a few open WR's for TD's 

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

1. Yesterday was a foundation shaking moment with the coaching staff that questions a bit the long term viability of this staff. You play to win you don’t play to tie.

this is what lost the game for me.

coaching, especially OC, defense aside from the goal line stands can not stop a team from marching down the field. not utilizing singletary was also a huge mistake.

JA still has issues, especially with the long ball and ball security. I love the kid but I'm losing confidence in his game.

can not emphasize enough the words bruce smith spoke before the washington game.

"well I am I'm excited about and very optimistic about the future of the Buffalo bills. however when you want to be ranked and when you want to be considered as one of the top echelon teams in this era of football, to dethrone the king, you got to cut his head off. so you got to beat the New England Patriots*, you've got to beat the Philadelphia eagles. you have to protect your house when teams come in to play you on your home turf. you have to establish dominance and right now we just haven't made that Mark yet, but I am encouraged by what I see."

like he said, they just haven't made that mark, yet. no sense in hope any more, hope is unseen and irrelevant to football to me. you either get it done or not, hope is not going to help win football games.

7 games to go, I haven't totally given up but if they lose sunday, my feeling is the post season will be out of reach. it wont bother me too much as I feel like the legend, they have not established the dominance you need in the nfl to reach the next level, which is the post season and beyond. so viewing what they have done, or lack there of, with my own two eyes this season, I am in total agreement with bruce.

Edited by DaBillsFanSince1973
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Unlike some who simply want Allen to cover up for everything by being Patrick Mahomes, I have a different view . We are better when we spread the field with McKenzie and open up running lanes and pick up the tempo. Our tempo is slow and the plays in our games are way down since the NE game. When we go "heavy" with Lee Smith and Gore running the power game we stink. We commit penalties, we get behind the stickS and we don't help our young, raw QB. JA seems to get into a much better rhythm as a thrower. I would get rid of Lee Smith, and go with only Knox and Croft. I would activate Duke as another option for different situations. Spread it out, pick up the tempo and run/pass balance. The coaching staff has done the Offense no favors recently, and with a dearth of playmakers, better smarten up.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 7

4 minutes ago, kbarrettb said:

Josh Allen is avg at best. 

Yes, Josh is a young QB who is average at best ... Team him up with a slightly below average OC who has been around awhile and fired at least a couple of times in this league, and you have the recipe for an offense that can't score. Team that up with a HC who plays to keep the score close instead of trying to choke the life out of the other team and we get what we got yesterday.

This week we play a Dolphin team we barely beat at home and who now has won 2 straight games, and we play them in their crib. This game will come down to a FG late... UGH !!!

• Like (+1) 2