Do you wonder about Beane's drafting?

billsfan714

Not at all.

Allen still has a high ceiling.  He makes multiple throws per game that lots of starting QBs won't even attempt.  He's a deep ball away from none of us worrying if he is the franchise QB.  It seems to me that this is a mental block, as we know he can do it, and I think once he hits on one, he will start hitting them regularly. 

Edmunds also has a enormously high ceiling.  He struggles in the run game but is phenomenal in pass defense.  I think he'll figure it out.

Singletary, Harry, Knox are all home run picks. 

Jury is out on the later round guys and Oliver/Ford.

Harrison Philips and his career half a sack is home run huh? 

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Not at all.

Allen still has a high ceiling.  He makes multiple throws per game that lots of starting QBs won't even attempt.  He's a deep ball away from none of us worrying if he is the franchise QB.  It seems to me that this is a mental block, as we know he can do it, and I think once he hits on one, he will start hitting them regularly. 

Edmunds also has a enormously high ceiling.  He struggles in the run game but is phenomenal in pass defense.  I think he'll figure it out.

Singletary, Harry, Knox are all home run picks. 

Jury is out on the later round guys and Oliver/Ford.

Harrison Philips and his career half a sack is home run huh?    Again standards people, standards.

• Like (+1) 1

Allen is progressing though, I think he is going upward and he is the most important pick. Now some may bring up Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson and for that I have no defense. Some of that is on Beane, some that isn’t. Bottom line is if Allen grows Beane will be here for 10 years easily, if not he could be gone in a year and a half.

2 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

Harrison Philips and his career half a sack is home run huh? 

Harrison Philips and his career half a sack is home run huh?    Again standards people, standards.

Harrison Phillips is a DT, and was perhaps our best DT before he got hurt this year.  He had made a big second year jump. 

You preach "standards" yet apparently are unaware of positional responsibilities.

Beane lies. He says draft BPA and then drafts for need. Allen, Oliver, Edmunds, Ford, and Knox all drafted for need and in many cases used additional picks to move up to make the picks. I've posted multiple times I favor drafting for need but also trading down when possible.

I don't think he has been any better or worse than anyone else. 

I'm more worried about his FA decisions than his draft choices. 

The question will be, if Allen doesn't continue to develop does he get another chance to find a QB. If Allen continues to improve then he will be around for a while.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Harrison Phillips is a DT, and was perhaps our best DT before he got hurt this year.  He had made a big second year jump. 

You preach "standards" yet apparently are unaware of positional responsibilities.

At this rate he should equal KW in sacks in year 96.

I don't think he has drafted badly. With hindsight it is easy to criticize any GM for what can appear to be squandered opportunities. Strategically he seems to have a penchant for boom/bust athletic prototypes. We'll see how it works out. To me the next draft/FA will go a long way in establishing his legacy in Buffalo. He needs, as always, to strengthen the lines, but he will now have to prove his ability to identify skill position players. I'll be looking to see whether he can do this using mid to late round picks. Just about anybody can scoop an elite WR prospect if you burn a extra first round pick to move up.

The state of fanhood is sad...collectively, we really are the most bi-polar fan base in the NFL. We talk about being "rabid" fans and #BillsMafia, well I can tell you this - if the Mafia was run the way the fans of this team choose to run their fanhood, they would have been out of business before ever leaving Italy and it would all just be one big joke. 

Ridiculous take. Sorry, I try to be more long-suffering of people's opinions and give someone the benefit of the doubt, but this is atrocious. Someone can say, "Standards", until they're blue in the face but not being able to clearly articulate how Beane's Drafting and team building fail in light of the totality of circumstances, i.e. the abysmal state of the team when he took over, poor Cap management, FAs leaving for different teams and a general malaise in the locker room all need to be part of the discussion. But, hey...."standards" appears to be the way to overrule any and all other cogent pieces of logic. Woof....:doh:

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

LOL, this fan base...

From "Beane is a God/Wizard!" to "Do you wonder about Beane's drafting" in one loss.

Imagine if we were 3-6 and not 6-3, seemed like most fans were predicting 6 to 7 wins to begin with

9 minutes ago, BigBuff423 said:

The state of fanhood is sad...collectively, we really are the most bi-polar fan base in the NFL. We talk about being "rabid" fans and #BillsMafia, well I can tell you this - if the Mafia was run the way the fans of this team choose to run their fanhood, they would have been out of business before ever leaving Italy and it would all just be one big joke. 

Ridiculous take. Sorry, I try to be more long-suffering of people's opinions and give someone the benefit of the doubt, but this is atrocious. Someone can say, "Standards", until they're blue in the face but not being able to clearly articulate how Beane's Drafting and team building fail in light of the totality of circumstances, i.e. the abysmal state of the team when he took over, poor Cap management, FAs leaving for different teams and a general malaise in the locker room all need to be part of the discussion. But, hey...."standards" appears to be the way to overrule any and all Ok cogent pieces of logic. Woof....:doh:

OK Ill take a shot at cap management and FA signings.   Add up the money hes spent on Star(50 million, 25 guaranteed)., Trent Murphy 22 million--10 guaranteed, a DE on pace for 2 sacks), , Kroft (18 million--9 million guaranteed, a complete turd)--, extending Hughes(20 million plus---19 million guaranteed , a DE on pace for 5 sacks, production steadily falling), and Hauschka 8 million, cant hit from 50 and make percentage falling.    Brown and Beasley were OK signings,  and signed some line help, including Morse to a big contract.  If I was grading that it wouldn't be an A.

Now sure before anyone jumps down my throat and says these guys wont see all that money, well thats true,   Hughes will see most of his.   But the point remains that he's spent a decent chunk of Terry's money on people whose production doesn't match their contract.    No doubt his predecessor Whaley was no capologist and he had some bad contracts..  

1 hour ago, Sunshower said:

Allen is progressing though, I think he is going upward and he is the most important pick. Now some may bring up Patrick Mahomes, Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson and for that I have no defense. Some of that is on Beane, some that isn’t. Bottom line is if Allen grows Beane will be here for 10 years easily, if not he could be gone in a year and a half.

This is not directed at you, although I understand how you may take it that way.

I've seen plenty of posts that say Allen is progressing.  There are some metrics that we can point to that say he is better than last year - DVOA and QB rating being two.  

Here's my issue - at the beginning of the yea, if I had asked anyone on this message board if they were going to be happy if Allen was 30 out of 32 starting QB's in DVOA (behind guys like Mariota, Rudolph, and Kyle Allen) and , and 31/32 in QBR (only ahead of Mariota)...9 games into the season, would ANYONE have been happy with that?  Is it really a terrible thing to have expected something MORE than that?  

I get the "look at the record" thing, but just focusing on Allen's progression as a QB...

3 hours ago, Elite Poster said:

Allen is avg at best but he's a young QB books still out

Tremaine is getting outplayed by the 3 MLBs taken after him

Oliver hasn't done a thing and we can't stop the run or pass rush, again, only a rookie so that's okay. 

That rounds up the firsts. 

If anything this regimes best pick so far was passing on Mahomes and Watson for Tre White, and that wasn't even Beane. 

Not surprised you left out Singletary, Knox, Taron Johnson,  Daryl johnson, Sweeney, harrison Phillips, Siran Neal, signing Foster and Wallace.   The late round picks that provide needed depth as well as starters.  

he’s drafted well.  I didn’t say he’s done great or very well.  

3 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Taking this from the front page tweet from Bills Daily----do you wonder about Beane's drafting?    Think it's a good discussion.

Trades/PIcks for Allen, Edmunds, Ford, Oliver, Knox and a 5th(Edmunds trade) and  for that we used a 1, 1, 1, 2, 2, 2, 3, 4 , 4 and a 5th (10 picks total).

Starting to think of the Who lyric, meet the new boss, same as the old boss.

Few weeks ago he was a stud GM who has had excellent drafts.  Our veteran kicker misses 2 FGs to lose us a game and suddenly Beane can’t draft?

This board is unbearable after a loss.  

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Beane lies. He says draft BPA and then drafts for need. Allen, Oliver, Edmunds, Ford, and Knox all drafted for need and in many cases used additional picks to move up to make the picks. I've posted multiple times I favor drafting for need but also trading down when possible.

I don't think he has been any better or worse than anyone else. 

I'm more worried about his FA decisions than his draft choices. 

The question will be, if Allen doesn't continue to develop does he get another chance to find a QB. If Allen continues to improve then he will be around for a while.

Seriously, every pick is for need.  The amount of fodder that gets thrown around about BPA is mind blowing.  If best player available when Giants draft next year is a RB, guess what, they aren’t taking a RB people.  

BPA has, and always has, and always will include “need” into the equation.  It means BPA based on what the team needs.  Seattle isn’t taking a QB if he is BPA next year in first round when on clock.  

I can not fathom how this is so hard to understand for this message board.  Every year the same thing over and over again.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2