I know the sky is falling...BUT (uplifting post)

Ghs24mike

I am very dissapointed in our offensive output as is everyone else on this board. There are larger issues that need to be solved to get the offense moving consistently game in and game out. HOWEVER, we were three or four plays away from having a completely different conversation today. Below are a couple thoughts that give me a lot of optimism moving forwards-

1) Edmunds showed up BIG as did Milano. This pair is going to continue to improve and I thought this might have been one of Edmunds best games (outside of the first drive). The defense is figuring things out slowly. Cleveland did have the game winning drive, but teams are going to score points in this league. Holding any team under 20 is a win.

2) Dawson Knox played a great game as well. He has a lot of speed and seems to get open often which is a good sign going forwards. 

3) Robert Foster sighting. He was targeted a couple times and had a nice reception- hopefully we will see more of that.

4) Singletary, although used sparingly, continues to prove that his yards per touch average is not a fluke. He doesn't get pushed backwards by tacklers either which has been surprising. He always seems to push through the line and solo tacklers to pick up a few extra yards. 

Offense needs to put together a couple good games and all will be right with the world. Hopefully Josh will hit a deep ball to Foster or Brown against Miami to give him some confidence going forwards.

If Knox catches the pass on the first drive and the pass to Singletary isn't tipped on the last drive, I think we win and we can address the challenges optimistically. With that said, the offense would have had a bad performance even if we won and that needs to change if we are going to win games against quality opponents down the stretch. 

For what its worth.....

Edited by Ghs24mike
  • Like (+1) 5

Good post.

Edmunds showed up big?  Going to disagree on that.  Yeah he got a sack and safety and out side of that, otherwise, i think he had two assisted tackles.  For an NFL MLB that is very, very hard to only get 1 tackle and rwo assists.

Knox did have a great game.

I think the woefully under utilized Singletary, 8 touches for over 5 yards a carry, against one of the worst run Ds in the league?

nick Chubb would say the Bills LBers again proved to still  be vulnerable versus the run.  The Cleveland's 30th ranked rush defense was never really tested

Yeah the goal line stand was amazing and some nice plays for those eight plays but on that last drive they had a 21 yard rush

Before the season began, no one expected that we would be a 5-1 team, or a 6-2 team, or a 6-3 team. After the hot start, the fan base quickly got spoiled.

Nearly the entire offensive personnel is different from last season, plus a 2nd year quarterback. Rare exceptions aside, it’s normal to need some time for this thing to come together. Let’s also not forget that the cap situation is EXTREMELY healthy, with 90 mil free space next season. If this team makes the playoffs, I think that already exceeds pre-season expectations for this year. We’ll be in good shape going into next season to build something.

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, ILBillsfan said:

nick Chubb would say the Bills LBers again proved to still  be vulnerable versus the run.  The Cleveland's 30th ranked rush defense was never really tested

Yeah the goal line stand was amazing and some nice plays for those eight plays but on that last drive they had a 21 yard rush

No doubt we need to stop the run better, it was just nice to see the goal line stand, plus a few plays where Edmunds stood Chubb up by himself in the hole. It wont all be solved over night, but it seemed it was improving as the game went on and it was nice to see Edmunds hit Chubb hard. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Ghs24mike said:

No doubt we need to stop the run better, it was just nice to see the goal line stand, plus a few plays where Edmunds stood Chubb up by himself in the hole. It wont all be solved over night, but it seemed it was improving as the game went on and it was nice to see Edmunds hit Chubb hard. 

yeah I was actually surprised the Browns were able to get the TD. Although when I seen the alignment on the TD pass I knew immediately where the ball was going with no safety help for Wallace

I really like Knox. He has the very scary and feared potential. His physicality running the ball and speed burst are extremely unique. 
He’s had some ups and downs as a rookie but the kid has the tools to be a top 5 receiving tight end. Not saying he’ll be as good as Zach Ertz or Kelce but he has the potential word. 

• Like (+1) 2

Edmunds has the potential to be an elite level pass defense MLB, but he's got to continue getting better in the run game...he's not there yet, not even close.

1 minute ago, Rc2catch said:

I really like Knox. He has the very scary and feared potential. His physicality running the ball and speed burst are extremely unique. 
He’s had some ups and downs as a rookie but the kid has the tools to be a top 5 receiving tight end. Not saying he’ll be as good as Zach Ertz or Kelce but he has the potential word. 

Knox absolutely has the ability to be up there with the Kittles, Kelce's of the world.  He was an absolute steal. 

21 minutes ago, Ghs24mike said:

I thought this might have been one of Edmunds best games (outside of the first drive).

Respectfully disagree.   

Edmunds sack aside, he was consistently out of position / over-running plays.   Opposing offenses are taking advantage of his two weaknesses: (1) over-pursuit and (2) relatively low anchor strength/drag down-reach around tackling style.    He's slow in his reads on two many plays, especially at the beginning of games.    To his credit, he seems to "get going" as the game progresses.

As the youngest MLB in the NFL, there is hope he can continue to improve.   But right now, he's a liability in the run game IMO...

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Ghs24mike said:

I am very dissapointed in our offensive output as is everyone else on this board. There are larger issues that need to be solved to get the offense moving consistently game in and game out. HOWEVER, we were three or four plays away from having a completely different conversation today. Below are a couple thoughts that give me a lot of optimism moving forwards-

1) Edmunds showed up BIG as did Milano. This pair is going to continue to improve and I thought this might have been one of Edmunds best games (outside of the first drive). The defense is figuring things out slowly. Cleveland did have the game winning drive, but teams are going to score points in this league. Holding any team under 20 is a win.

2) Dawson Knox played a great game as well. He has a lot of speed and seems to get open often which is a good sign going forwards. 

3) Robert Foster sighting. He was targeted a couple times and had a nice reception- hopefully we will see more of that.

4) Singletary, although used sparingly, continues to prove that his yards per touch average is not a fluke. He doesn't get pushed backwards by tacklers either which has been surprising. He always seems to push through the line and solo tacklers to pick up a few extra yards. 

Offense needs to put together a couple good games and all will be right with the world. Hopefully Josh will hit a deep ball to Foster or Brown against Miami to give him some confidence going forwards.

If Knox catches the pass on the first drive and the pass to Singletary isn't tipped on the last drive, I think we win and we can address the challenges optimistically. With that said, the offense would have had a bad performance even if we won and that needs to change if we are going to win games against quality opponents down the stretch. 

For what its worth.....

If Haushka makes his two kicks and the staff had confidence to try that other 50 yarder we have 6 to 9 more points. Kicking is a huge concern as well.

29 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Respectfully disagree.   

Edmunds sack aside, he was consistently out of position / over-running plays.   Opposing offenses are taking advantage of his two weaknesses: (1) over-pursuit and (2) relatively low anchor strength/drag down-reach around tackling style.    He's slow in his reads on two many plays, especially at the beginning of games.    To his credit, he seems to "get going" as the game progresses.

As the youngest MLB in the NFL, there is hope he can continue to improve.   But right now, he's a liability in the run game IMO...

Edmunds was TERRIBLE on 90% of the plays, absolutely TERRIBLE.  Most of the time a total non factor.  Yes he had  a safety, had a tipped pass and two assists on tackles.  Pitiful.

And I must have missed all the times he supposedly stopped Chubb?

43 minutes ago, Ghs24mike said:

I guess I missed those.

Daboll needs to go. I believe he's holding this offense back, 16 points on the road is not going to get it done. He should have just pounded The Rock yesterday and controlled the clock but instead he failed to utilize his best weapon, singletary. Also they failed on clock management again yesterday on that last drive. they had a timeout and should have used it and it would have given them at least one or two more plays to get closer and give haus money a chance.