Anyone watch the Vikings last night? Do you love that offense for us?

Ramza86

3 minutes ago, H2o said:

Year one? Seeing what we had, sign a couple of FA's, removing those who didn't want to be here, and still made the playoffs. Year two? Cap strapped because of ridding ourselves of the dead weight, go get the QB of the offense, the QB of the defense, Richie blows a gasket, Wood has to retire because of a neck issue, and we are basically all in on the rebuild. Year 3? We had to fix the OL, we upgraded the WR corps, we drafted players (some of whom are making an impact already), and are basically in the 2nd year of the rebuild. This team is pretty young, they are growing together, and we are still 6-3 in spite of Daboll's play calling. Some rebuilds aren't instant gratification like that of your microwavable Hot Pocket. 

Lol I agree with this. We were beyond bad last year. Losing Wood and Richie set us back big time. Were getting better. Weve been tricked by the schedule and the 6 wins. We arent a contender yet, we just have to get this offense moving and continue developing the young guys.

Edited by Ramza86

1 minute ago, H2o said:

Year one? Seeing what we had, sign a couple of FA's, removing those who didn't want to be here, and still made the playoffs. Year two? Cap strapped because of ridding ourselves of the dead weight, go get the QB of the offense, the QB of the defense, Richie blows a gasket, Wood has to retire because of a neck issue, and we are basically all in on the rebuild. Year 3? We had to fix the OL, we upgraded the WR corps, we drafted players (some of whom are making an impact already), and are basically in the 2nd year of the rebuild. This team is pretty young, they are growing together, and we are still 6-3 in spite of Daboll's play calling. Some rebuilds aren't instant gratification like that of your microwavable Hot Pocket. 

True.  But they didn't take over a floundering team that has won 7 games in the last 3 years.  We were .500 over the previous 3 years before they arrived with a pretty talented roster. Probably more talented than what we have now.  It was their decision to do what they did including passing on all three of the hottest young QBs in the AFC (Watson, Mahommes, Jackson).  And then NOT surrounding the one they did take with talent that could help him succeed and instead investing heavily in the Defense.  D is good, but you do have to score some points too.

They don't get a pass on that IMHO.

And your hot pocket comment was funny, I guess.

• Thank you (+1) 2

We do not have the talent at wide receiver the Vikes do. When was the last time you saw a Buffalo Bill make a one handed grab? Win on a contested catch? And people wonder where Josh's hesitation comes from. He can't trust his guys to make plays like that. And if he tries to, it often ends badly and then people lambaste him for throwing a pick.

5 minutes ago, Luka said:

We do not have the talent at wide receiver the Vikes do. When was the last time you saw a Buffalo Bill make a one handed grab? Win on a contested catch? And people wonder where Josh's hesitation comes from. He can't trust his guys to make plays like that. And if he tries to, it often ends badly and then people lambaste him for throwing a pick.

Sammy made catches like that. So did Woods.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cTNqwZ5gkY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrwEpKYHWk

Edited by reddogblitz

2 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Seems to be unreal for our coaching staff.

Vikings are much further along in the process. They've had their growing pains over the last couple years too. Our offense is almost completely new because of the off season additions. Plus they have a veteran QB.

Everyone just needs more experience.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

True.  But they didn't take over a floundering team that has won 7 games in the last 3 years.  We were .500 over the previous 3 years before they arrived with a pretty talented roster. Probably more talented than what we have now.  It was their decision to do what they did including passing on all three of the hottest young QBs in the AFC (Watson, Mahommes, Jackson).  And then NOT surrounding the one they did take with talent that could help him succeed and instead investing heavily in the Defense.  D is good, but you do have to score some points too.

They don't get a pass on that IMHO.

And your hot pocket comment was funny, I guess.

The Watson and Mahomes thing is beaten to death. We all know. How many other QB needy teams missed on those two as well? It happens. I still think Jackson is a flash in a pan. Until yesterday, against a Bengals team starting Ryan Finley, he has been average at best outside of his running ability which is absolutely amazing. Do you honestly think he would be successful anywhere else right now outside of Baltimore? I don't, but I think Watson and Mahomes could be. See what Roman did with lesser athletes in Kaep and Tyrod for a time? It eventually will come crashing down in Baltimore as well.

The roster turnover here has been overwhelming.  There are only a handful of guys left from before McDermott and Beane got here. When you do things like this there is always going to be growing pains, especially when the leaders of your offense and defense are in their 2nd years in the league. Again, we are 6-3. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Lurker said:

As much as I love Motor, he's no Dalvin Cook.   That guy is strong, fast and runs with anger...

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2862157-nobody-can-stop-dalvin-cook-and-its-a-problem-for-the-nfc

Chicago and Philly both stuffed him... or rather, they trashed the Oline on outside zone runs. I love Cook, but all these guys are stoppable if their Oline is overmatched. 

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

True.  But he wasn't good enough for Coach McDermott.  He could still be here. Him on one side.  Brown on the other.  Beasley in the slot ...

I wasn't sad to see Watkins go, you can't rely on him to finish a whole season. Woods leaving pissed me off, but I don't think he had any intention of staying no matter how much money we threw at him.

But to just now attempt to replace Woods with Brown and still have no answer to replace Watkins? That's a personnel failure. Beane can pretend all he likes that you don't need a #1 receiver but his QB would disagree.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Virgil said:

You know what I love about that offense?   They were stuttering through 4 games, then made adjustments to utilize the talent on their team.  

What an unreal concept

...you need an "adjuster" to "adjust".....seems like more and more we have a "cluster" versus "adjuster".......somebody get Saban on the phone so we can talk to the " 'Bama Returns Department"....

If you draft a player like Allen you can't turn him into a game manager.  You won't consistently make the playoffs and occasional Super Bowl runs with that type of qb.  I didn't have a huge problem with Daboll's game plan as we need to see what we have in Allen.  Possibly squeaking into the playoffs relying on a strong defense and mistake free conservative offense isn't a long term recipe for success.

Edited by Doc Brown

11 minutes ago, Doc Brown said:

If you draft a player like Allen you can't turn him into a game manager.  You won't consistently make the playoffs and occasional Super Bowl runs with that type of qb.  I didn't have a huge problem with Daboll's game plan as we need to see what we have in Allen.  Possibly squeaking into the playoffs relying on a strong defense and mistake free conservative offense isn't a long term recipe for success.

Why does it have to be all or nothing?  Why can't he be more of game manager this year and work on his mechanics and passing and then next year let him pass more when he gets better at it? That's what Pitt did with Big Ben.  In SB XL, he was 9/21 for 123 yards 0 TD 2 INT.  They scored one TD on a Willie Parker 40+ yard run and another on a WR pass thrown by Randle El to Ward  Big Ben then continued to develop and turned into a very good QB.  I don't see why a similar plan couldn't work for Josh.

It's not fair to the rest of the team to have a really good D but waste it trying to see if your young QB can carry the whole offense by himself.  We should be trying to win and develop the QB as it fits into a winning strategy whatever that is.  If we were the Jets or Dolphins, sure, throw it around the yard.  But we're not there anymore.

4 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Why does it have to be all or nothing?  Why can't he be more of game manager this year and work on his mechanics and passing and then next year let him pass more when he gets better at it? That's what Pitt did with Big Ben.  In SB XL, he was 9/21 for 123 yards 0 TD 2 INT.  They scored one TD on a Willie Parker 40+ yard run and another on a WR pass thrown by Randle El to Ward  Big Ben then continued to develop and turned into a very good QB.  I don't see why a similar plan couldn't work for Josh.

It's not fair to the rest of the team to have a really good D but waste it trying to see if your young QB can carry the whole offense by himself.  We should be trying to win and develop the QB as it fits into a winning strategy whatever that is.  If we were the Jets or Dolphins, sure, throw it around the yard.  But we're not there anymore.

Exactly.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I don't think this team's winning if Allen puts those numbers up.  We don't have the supporting cast on offense Big Ben had.  Our defense is good but not elite.  My fear is if you turn him into a game manager then he'll develop those habits and lose that gunslinger mentality which is what we signed up for when we drafted him.  Favre for example made a huge leap from year two to three as a starter as Green Bay built the offense around him.

10 hours ago, Virgil said:

You know what I love about that offense?   They were stuttering through 4 games, then made adjustments to utilize the talent on their team.  

What an unreal concept

No reason we cant do it too!...go on a tear to end the season ...its doubtful bc it would consist of risks and going outside the realm of our conservative "Process"

7 hours ago, H2o said:

The Watson and Mahomes thing is beaten to death. We all know. How many other QB needy teams missed on those two as well? It happens. I still think Jackson is a flash in a pan. Until yesterday, against a Bengals team starting Ryan Finley, he has been average at best outside of his running ability which is absolutely amazing. Do you honestly think he would be successful anywhere else right now outside of Baltimore? I don't, but I think Watson and Mahomes could be. See what Roman did with lesser athletes in Kaep and Tyrod for a time? It eventually will come crashing down in Baltimore as well.

The roster turnover here has been overwhelming.  There are only a handful of guys left from before McDermott and Beane got here. When you do things like this there is always going to be growing pains, especially when the leaders of your offense and defense are in their 2nd years in the league. Again, we are 6-3. Let's see how the rest of the season plays out. 

I agree...just look at lamar he is being set up the same way kaep was..with a good defense,solid ground game and a simplified college like playbook....lamar is kaep 2.0 imo..ravens better hope he does it all this year bc he is a candle in the wind and his flame will be burnt out when teams get enough time to figure out exactly how to stop him and his gimmicky offense...kaep was the next big thing for a year also then he was exposed...funny how both qbs have a haurbagh connected to them