100% problem with the Deep Ball this year.

Allen2Moulds

Being an NFL Quarterback is DEMANDING to say the last. The amount of responsibility for such a young guy to carry is really enormous. They are working on his game, it’s a process. The base game of any NFL quarterback has to be the short routes, because moving the chains is the most important thing. They’re focused on getting him to do this and make good decisions. Josh Allen seems to be a mentally strong guy for his age, and I think I’ll get through that. He has all the power necessary to throw the deep ball, so I’m not worried about that....it will come back in time.

As for the fumbles? It’s simple, this is a case of teams having more tape on a guy they didn’t have before and studying his weaknesses. This happens to every young QB in their early development - the weaknesses get exposed and then they have to fix the problems.

I'd like to see them just forget about the deep ball.   I know you have to "keep the D honest."   But really, in today's NFL, who really relys on the deep ball anymore?  That's old school football.

Most high powered offenses today rely on short and intermediate throws and RUN AFTER THE CATCH.    That's the thing Buffalo can't seem to do with any frequency.   Singletary's 49-yard play against the Skins is the prototypical long ball in today's NFL:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/highlight-devin-singletary-s-49-yard-catch-and-run

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The entire approach on game day is not to lose. I don’t doubt Josh is being coached this way. I don’t doubt Josh feels he can’t make mistakes. After watching Daboll’s reaction in the early games after interceptions, Josh is being coached all wrong. Can you imagine what Sean Peyton would be doing with Josh? What Andy Reed could make out of Josh’s arm?  Yesterday proved it, we have a coach who plays scared. This is a HC problem. I really wish someone would get to Sean and tell him to cut it loose and start trying to win games!  You can’t win games in the third quarter trying to run out the clock. You have a better statistical chance of making a first down than kicking a 53 yard field goal. 

Sean is a very smart guy, I hope he sees the errors in his ways. It’s correctable and then this team can make a little run and maybe win a playoff game. To do that, Josh will need to be Josh. Slinging the ball around. The defense would be better at defending a short field after an interception if Josh has also led the team on 4 touchdown drives. Only way this team really wins anything is Josh being the guy he was after the injury last year. 

• Like (+1) 2

I honestly wonder if it is all his fault.  Some receivers seem to be letting up and then the ball sails over them.  I wonder if they are just not used to seeing that kind of throw and are not tracking it well.  Now, obviously I am not an NFL receiver, but I have had the opportunity to (try) and catch a ball from someone with an absolute rocket of an arm.  Like, ability to throw it over 60 yards kind of rocket.  It was extremely difficult to track when it was a long pass.  It just kept going and going and going.  Now, imagine it was from one of the best arms in the NFL.  Not even these receivers are used to seeing throws like this.  I seriously wonder if his arm is too big sometimes and making it difficult on the WRs and TEs too (like Knox's drop yesterday right through his hands).

If we could just hit 33-50% of those open deep balls then no one would be complaining about our offensive performances.  They are the difference IMO.

Obviously, some throws are also just completely over thrown, but that may not be the whole story. 

Edited by Mark80

Not writing this to bash Josh Allen, I like him and think he SOME DAY will be a great QB. The problem I have is the Bills could have won two more games with a passer that can hit the long ball. Can Josh throw far, YES. Does Josh have touch to drop a ball over the top shoulder, haven't seen that yet. He is 6-3 so what do you do about this that 9 games hasn't shown you. Can the Bills offense beat Baltimore, Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh and even Denver. Is this Bills team just a QB away? Can they win this year in the playoffs? If your answering YES than Barkley must be given a shot. If your not sure or NO then stay the course and see if Josh develops. I am not saying get rid of Josh, just saying you never hand someone a job without working for it. Josh's upside is huge if this is done right. He is not playing that much better than Taylor at this point of his career. Tough decision, at this point though I see this season's playoff chances in jeopardy with Josh playing like this. 

Edited by USABuffaloFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Not writing this to bash Josh Allen, I like him and think he SOME DAY will be a great QB. The problem I have is the Bills could have won two more games with a passer that can hit the long ball. Can Josh throw far, YES. Does Josh have touch to drop a ball over the top shoulder, haven't seen that yet. He is 6-3 so what do you do about this that 9 games hasn't shown you. Can the Bills offense beat Baltimore, Dallas, New England, Pittsburgh and even Denver. Is this Bills team just a QB away? Can they win this year in the playoffs? If your answering YES than Barkley must be given a shot. If your not sure or NO then stay the course and see if Josh develops. I am not saying get rid of Josh, just saying you never hand someone a job without working for it. Josh's upside is huge if this is done right. He is not playing that much better than Taylor at this point of his career. Tough decision, at this point though I see this season's playoff chances in jeopardy with Josh playing like this. 

As long as he continues to hit the 10 to 20 yards pass as well as he does, he stays in.  Barkley can't hit those throws like JA does, and its not even close. Those throws are also way more important than the occasional deep shot. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

Being an NFL Quarterback is DEMANDING to say the last. The amount of responsibility for such a young guy to carry is really enormous. They are working on his game, it’s a process. The base game of any NFL quarterback has to be the short routes, because moving the chains is the most important thing. They’re focused on getting him to do this and make good decisions. Josh Allen seems to be a mentally strong guy for his age, and I think I’ll get through that. He has all the power necessary to throw the deep ball, so I’m not worried about that....it will come back in time.

We all wanted him to work on and get better at his short route passing and we understand the reasons why but we also didn't expect his deep-ball to disappear and have to "come back in time."

Wow, I was thinking he was better last year but this year has missed everything.   I bet he has more INT's than completions on those.  Clearly an element he needs to work on.  The one to Mackenzie should have been an easy TD yesterday.  He seems to want to throw a frozen rope but needs to put some air under the ball and let the receiver go and get it.

He has improved a lot on short passes this year so maybe this is part of the next steps for him.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

As long as he continues to hit the 10 to 20 yards pass as well as he does, he stays in.  Barkley can't hit those throws like JA does, and its not even close. Those throws are also way more important than the occasional deep shot. 

Sorry but Barkley has shown that ability and has a few 300 yards games. He doesn't have Josh's talent and all I am saying is are your ready not to be in the playoffs if Josh is your only choice?

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Interesting stat. Where can we find them for every QB in the league?

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

How can anyone think a QB who can't come close to hitting on a long throw will be a great QB some day?

If Bills lose to the Dolphins on Sunday then I 100% expect Barkley to start vs. the Broncos on 11/24.

If we do this you minus well draft a QB rd 1 next year.

3 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Wow, I was thinking he was better last year but this year has missed everything.   I bet he has more INT's than completions on those.  Clearly an element he needs to work on.  The one to Mackenzie should have been an easy TD yesterday.  He seems to want to throw a frozen rope but needs to put some air under the ball and let the receiver go and get it.

He has improved a lot on short passes this year so maybe this is part of the next steps for him.

Foster a week or two ago