100% problem with the Deep Ball this year.

Allen2Moulds

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

8 in 11 starts as a rookie. 

Thank you for the stat. I was saying he fumbled as a rookie also. So it seems he fumbled in college as well.

You said "but he's always fumbled".  So you must have the data. 

High school? 

Reedley college? 

Also, can you share how many of those rookie 8 in 11 starts were lost?

Thank you so much!

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

You said "but he's always fumbled".  So you must have the data. 

High school? 

Reedley college? 

Also, can you share how many of those rookie 8 in 11 starts were lost?

Thank you so much!

How many were lost fumbles? You want to know how many came when the temperature was below 60 degrees also?

I always love this part of being a Bills fan. Young QB isn't good enough and Bills fans argue why that is.

I would love to blame everyone else for Josh Allen's subpar play but I can't. 

11 hours ago, CheshireCT said:

Being an NFL Quarterback is DEMANDING to say the last. The amount of responsibility for such a young guy to carry is really enormous. They are working on his game, it’s a process. The base game of any NFL quarterback has to be the short routes, because moving the chains is the most important thing. They’re focused on getting him to do this and make good decisions. Josh Allen seems to be a mentally strong guy for his age, and I think I’ll get through that. He has all the power necessary to throw the deep ball, so I’m not worried about that....it will come back in time.

As for the fumbles? It’s simple, this is a case of teams having more tape on a guy they didn’t have before and studying his weaknesses. This happens to every young QB in their early development - the weaknesses get exposed and then they have to fix the problems.

My question for you then is why do we repeatedly see Josh Allen throwing deep on 3 or 4th down if as you say they are coaching him on the short game.

Makes no sense to me.

Please  explain. 

27 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

I'm sure they beat avoiding throwing interceptions into his head to the point he is not trusting what he sees the first time.  Not only does he seem timid he also looks frustrated.   I'd love to see him drop three steps and just trust the window will be there and fire it in more. 

I worry he might follow how things went with Tyrod  Not saying Taylor was a passing machine but the first season he was willing to at least throw  deep along the boundaries.  The next season all those boundary balls were always too long or out of bounds/too close to the sideline.  Sound familiar?

Very familiar, I have no doubt that is what he has been told. It took me a while to figure out what was wrong with his body language, then I heard comparisons to TT, saw Allen double clutch on passes throwing behind too many receivers, hesitating before he runs, then it just smacked me in the face that he was playing tentative. He isn't playing the game the way he knows how to play the way he wants to play. It doesn't look like he is playing with any confidence and he doesn't sound like it either. I believe in Allen and think he can take us where we want to go. But not like this. They have to quit babying him, let him take his lumps and do what he was brought here to do. We don't need a "game manager", we need a playmaker.

9 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How many were lost fumbles? You want to know how many came when the temperature was below 60 degrees also?

I always love this part of being a Bills fan. Young QB isn't good enough and Bills fans argue why that is.

I would love to blame everyone else for Josh Allen's subpar play but I can't. 

If you know that Josh Allen has always fumbled, you can surely provide the data to back up that statement.

I await learning about it.

Otherwise, you could just admit that you don't know, and were simply indulging in a spot of exaggeration.

No need to blame anyone else or discuss temperature, but I'm glad you love being a Bills fan.

Thanks

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He's always fumbled.

That one at the goal line where Feliciono had to dive at was bad.

Would’ve cost us the game.

Then he actually did cost us the game... panicking like a child. 

He has to be leading the league  in lazy mistakes, Like fumbling. He has to be smarter and make a better effort. 

I hate to say it but complacency is sinking in, that’s on the leaders. 

I am concerned about Josh’s ability to be our franchise qb. 

Edited by Chill

I can’t stand the coaching down of McD and especially Daboll. That said, I don’t believe they’re the reason Allen can’t hit a deep pass. Allen has had SO many opportunities to hit a wide open receiver, and he has either grossly under thrown or overthrown them. 

Again, our coaches are to blame... but I am concerned about Josh’s ability to be franchise QB.  

13 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Sorry if someone already made this point, but I'm at work and didn't have time to read through every post. 

Josh Allen is playing mistake free the last few games (bravo), but it's also severely hindering him.  The clear reason for not being able to connect on a deep ball, is his fear of throwing an interception.  As a result, the ball always ends up in no man's land.  Not only can it not be picked, but also has no chance of our guys coming down with it.  I mean, he hasn't even been close.  It's grossly overthrown every-time.  I've felt this way for weeks, but he just confirmed it in his post game presser.  They asked him if he can pin-point the reason, for not being able to hit the deep ball, and he just said, I don't know, followed by.......I don't know if I'm super anxious about under-throwing it, and getting an interception. The coaches have him playing scared. This is a major detriment to his development. News flash.....we are not winning the Super Bowl this year, but we have this special talent, that we need to develop. Peyton threw 33 picks his rookie year.  I'm sick of this ultra conservative approach.  The only we we are beating the better teams in this league, is if Josh plays up to his potential, and that's not happening with the leash that they have on him.  Let him go, and win or lose, live with the results.  We'll be better in the long run for it.

He wasn’t scared to throw picks in the first few games where was the deep ball then. He also struggled to hit them in camp.

He wasn’t very good at throwing the 9 route last year either. Most of the completed deep balls were routes that the wr was running more horizontal than vertical. Seems like we’re not calling those routes this year for whatever reason. 

I do agree that the coaching staff is making him play scared and think too much. 

14 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Sorry if someone already made this point, but I'm at work and didn't have time to read through every post. 

Josh Allen is playing mistake free the last few games (bravo), but it's also severely hindering him.  The clear reason for not being able to connect on a deep ball, is his fear of throwing an interception.  As a result, the ball always ends up in no man's land.  Not only can it not be picked, but also has no chance of our guys coming down with it.  I mean, he hasn't even been close.  It's grossly overthrown every-time.  I've felt this way for weeks, but he just confirmed it in his post game presser.  They asked him if he can pin-point the reason, for not being able to hit the deep ball, and he just said, I don't know, followed by.......I don't know if I'm super anxious about under-throwing it, and getting an interception. The coaches have him playing scared. This is a major detriment to his development. News flash.....we are not winning the Super Bowl this year, but we have this special talent, that we need to develop. Peyton threw 33 picks his rookie year.  I'm sick of this ultra conservative approach.  The only we we are beating the better teams in this league, is if Josh plays up to his potential, and that's not happening with the leash that they have on him.  Let him go, and win or lose, live with the results.  We'll be better in the long run for it.

Precisely 

3 hours ago, Playoffs? said:

I can’t stand the coaching down of McD and especially Daboll. That said, I don’t believe they’re the reason Allen can’t hit a deep pass. Allen has had SO many opportunities to hit a wide open receiver, and he has either grossly under thrown or overthrown them. 

Again, our coaches are to blame... but I am concerned about Josh’s ability to be franchise QB.  

How are the coaches to blame for Josh under throwing a guy with the wind vs Eagles and then badly over throwing 3 guys wide open deep vs Clowns?  Looks to me like the Coach put him in a position to succeed and Josh just blew it.  Face it.  He's just not good at throwing the long ball.

6 hours ago, JTown said:

My question for you then is why do we repeatedly see Josh Allen throwing deep on 3 or 4th down if as you say they are coaching him on the short game.

Makes no sense to me.

Please  explain. 

definitely no explanation for that. I was just as baffled as you in those instances. How many times has that happened? Anyone count?

21 hours ago, bmur66 said:

Do we have a receiver that you can throw a 50/50 ball to with a high probability he will make the catch?

Only one, his name is Duke Williams...

Go Bills!!!

Most of us were skeptical about an underperforming Mountain West QB becoming a franchise QB at the most difficult level of football. Every stat that was pulled suggested he‘d be an NFL bust, I remember one had the likelihood at 81%! While I wouldn’t call him a bust, I don’t think he’ll ever be anything more than an average or slightly above average QB. All the traits required to be an elite signal caller - timing, touch, anticipation, accuracy, field vision - he struggles at every single one. Asking and/or expecting him to make giant leaps of improvement in those areas is probably unfair to him. He is what he is and what he is isn’t good enough.