100% problem with the Deep Ball this year.

Allen2Moulds

2 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

are your ready not to be in the playoffs if Josh is your only choice

No post-season is a real possibility regardless of whether we complete deep passes or whomever plays QB.  But one or two deep completions per game will go a long way.  Though Josh has shown growth, the more difficult half of the season started Sunday - so here's hoping they find some way to score more points.

It was fairly impressive to get the go-ahead TD with a couple minutes left.  And then they drove into FG range in the last minute.  It's been a long while since we've had an offense capable to doing that so consistently. It's what good teams do.  Find a way to bottle that up and do it the first three quarters as well.

55 minutes ago, flmike said:

Here's a question. What QB developed something he didn't have in college, in the NFL?

Is this a serious question? I think a better question would be what QB didn’t develop something he didn’t have in college. Even if a QB comes in with perfect mechanics and other physical traits (and most don’t) they still have to develop the mental acuity required for the job. College QBs just aren’t learning to read defenses in college like they need to in the pros. Mainly because defensive coordinators at the college level simply aren’t presenting the sheer variety in coverage schemes to study.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Josh's upside is huge if this is done right. He is not playing that much better than Taylor at this point of his career.

Actually he's not playing anywhere near as good.  He's not even in the same ballpark.  Watch this video.  Hotrod made more good long throws in one half than Josh has in 20 starts.  Had Josh been able to hit just one pass like this Sunday we win.

Yeah I know Culture of Tyrod.  Whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrwEpKYHWk

26 minutes ago, row_33 said:

EJ took the field down the field, like a boss, at Carolina for a two minute TD drive win

still waiting....

What was EJ Manuel's record as a starter?

12 minutes ago, Rock'em Sock'em said:

No post-season is a real possibility regardless of whether we complete deep passes or whomever plays QB.  But one or two deep completions per game will go a long way.  Though Josh has shown growth, the more difficult half of the season started Sunday - so here's hoping they find some way to score more points.

It was fairly impressive to get the go-ahead TD with a couple minutes left.  And then they drove into FG range in the last minute.  It's been a long while since we've had an offense capable to doing that so consistently. It's what good teams do.  Find a way to bottle that up and do it the first three quarters as well.

New England beat us but was outplayed. Good team beat inferior opponents, even sometimes when outplayed!

10 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Is this a serious question? I think a better question would be what QB didn’t develop something he didn’t have in college. Even if a QB comes in with perfect mechanics and other physical traits (and most don’t) they still have to develop the mental acuity required for the job. College QBs just aren’t learning to read defenses in college like they need to in the pros. Mainly because defensive coordinators at the college level simply aren’t presenting the sheer variety in coverage schemes to study.

Tom Brady was not a good QB in college, drafted 6th round. Normally you would never become a starter in the NFL from the 6th round yet alone the best of all time.

39 minutes ago, BananaB said:

If that was one of our defenders swatting that ball out, would you consider it a great play by the defender or just bad handling by the QB.  Allen has had his problems holding onto the ball, but in my opinion that was a great play by the defender. He hit that ball square on the money. 

Little from column A, little from column B. Allen’s horrid history of fumbling would probably cause me to lean a little bit more toward “A”, or Allen.

9 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

According to this guy's research he was :accurate" on 6 of 21 over 31 yards last season.  This gives you a good look at all QBs and the average looks to be around 38-40%.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2019/2018-19-deep-ball-project

Josh's average was 26%, 20% below. Also they considered 21 yards to be a Long ball. Any way you look at this Josh was not a good long ball thrower. Add to that, not complaining about last year, he played what 9-10 games. this year with 9 games he has no in the air passes over 30 yards. He has a 54 yarder ran after the catch by Knox. Give the guy credit for his 6-3 record and 7 4th quarter comebacks, 5 this year. Won't be good enough second half of the season with a tougher schedule. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hebert19 said:

A little more air under the ball and he completes a couple again yesterday.  He just has to stop throwing them on a rope. 

Yes I think it's a combo of this and that Daboll and McD act like it's the end of the world of your QB throws a pick.   

If we're at mid field and Josh throws a deep pick, it's a punt.   These guys are so tight and so conservative it seems like all they care about is squeaking out the win and not developing an offensive machine.   

Maybe they're coaching for their jobs and the W is all that matters, but to me I want to see our qb and offense get better, that's more important this season.   There has to be some middle ground between scoring 15 points a week and hoping to win close, and playing balls out on offense and putting out a fun product for your fans.   Not saying we're a boring team, but there's room to push it a little more and stop just trying not to lose.

Thinking about John Brown and Cole Beasley trying to out-muscle a defender is probably making Josh a bit nervous as well. We really needed/need a WR1. I’m shocked we didn’t add one via trade... asking price on AJ Green and others must have been stupid high.

Edited by Rigotz

8 hours ago, Lurker said:

I'd like to see them just forget about the deep ball.   I know you have to "keep the D honest."   But really, in today's NFL, who really relys on the deep ball anymore?  That's old school football.

Most high powered offenses today rely on short and intermediate throws and RUN AFTER THE CATCH.    That's the thing Buffalo can't seem to do with any frequency.   Singletary's 49-yard play against the Skins is the prototypical long ball in today's NFL:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/highlight-devin-singletary-s-49-yard-catch-and-run

I think part of the problem is that there is not a lot of run after catch......

I defend Allen.....but he does seem to be a hair slow on his throws right now....he makes up for that by throwing lazers.....which also causes drops......

But I think he can improve here.....as a matter of fact I am counting on it

12 minutes ago, USABuffaloFan said:

Josh's average was 26%, 20% below. Also they considered 21 yards to be a Long ball. Any way you look at this Josh was not a good long ball thrower. Add to that, not complaining about last year, he played what 9-10 games. this year with 9 games he has no in the air passes over 30 yards. He has a 54 yarder ran after the catch by Knox. Give the guy credit for his 6-3 record and 7 4th quarter comebacks, 5 this year. Won't be good enough second half of the season with a tougher schedule. 

There is one table that breaks down 31+ yards. Check it out and then let me know where I said I was satisfied with Allen's deep ball.

1 minute ago, Cripple Creek said:

There is one table that breaks down 31+ yards. Check it out and then let me know where I said I was satisfied with Allen's deep ball.

You gave the table, I gave my feedback for allot of quotes on this thread. I said Josh was 3 of 36 fro over 30 yards in air, less than 10%. Just clarifying that table.

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Actually he's not playing anywhere near as good.  He's not even in the same ballpark.  Watch this video.  Hotrod made more good long throws in one half than Josh has in 20 starts.  Had Josh been able to hit just one pass like this Sunday we win.

Yeah I know Culture of Tyrod.  Whatever.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzrwEpKYHWk

Allen is not hitting those deeper balls like Tyrod here you are right. 

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Sorry if someone already made this point, but I'm at work and didn't have time to read through every post. 

Josh Allen is playing mistake free the last few games (bravo), but it's also severely hindering him.  The clear reason for not being able to connect on a deep ball, is his fear of throwing an interception.  As a result, the ball always ends up in no man's land.  Not only can it not be picked, but also has no chance of our guys coming down with it.  I mean, he hasn't even been close.  It's grossly overthrown every-time.  I've felt this way for weeks, but he just confirmed it in his post game presser.  They asked him if he can pin-point the reason, for not being able to hit the deep ball, and he just said, I don't know, followed by.......I don't know if I'm super anxious about under-throwing it, and getting an interception. The coaches have him playing scared. This is a major detriment to his development. News flash.....we are not winning the Super Bowl this year, but we have this special talent, that we need to develop. Peyton threw 33 picks his rookie year.  I'm sick of this ultra conservative approach.  The only we we are beating the better teams in this league, is if Josh plays up to his potential, and that's not happening with the leash that they have on him.  Let him go, and win or lose, live with the results.  We'll be better in the long run for it.

Maybe part of the issue is they are winning. When you are losing, all you have is getting jazzed about big plays and seeing potential/future. They came out winning safe and dont want to screw it up. Funny how we cant have it both ways, but that doesnt stop 30% of this board from trying. People just want Allen to be the inept combo of Manuel/JP sssooooo bad its ruining what should be a fun season (not to mention most convos on this board) for them bc he isnt Mahomes. Nevermind how terrible most of the qb play is, he isnt top 5 now and thats apparently just not acceptable. BB facebook groups became unreadable.... its leaked over to here now. People used to blame BB.com shutting the boards, which wasnt fair bc most imports were excellent posters. Sadly, a few cool cats ruined it and gave em a bad name. Weve long since passed it but the hysterics never got toned back down lol

Also, to the OP’s point, I am not sure the issue is he’s getting beat over the head with “YOU CAN NEVER THROW A PICK!” 

1st half yesterday Allen made a perfect, and I mean perfect 15 yard pass to Beasley over the middle into the one of the tightest windows you’ll ever see. That ball, if even half a foot off either way, gets tipped or picked. 

Point is, Allen seems to have no hesitation throwing into coverage, even tight or double coverage. Yet he can’t seem to put a deep ball anywhere close enough to a wide open receiver to even let the guy make an attempt on the ball. Maybe, just maybe, he’s just bad at it and coaches’ mindgames are all in your head.