100% problem with the Deep Ball this year.

Allen2Moulds

Sorry if someone already made this point, but I'm at work and didn't have time to read through every post. 

Josh Allen is playing mistake free the last few games (bravo), but it's also severely hindering him.  The clear reason for not being able to connect on a deep ball, is his fear of throwing an interception.  As a result, the ball always ends up in no man's land.  Not only can it not be picked, but also has no chance of our guys coming down with it.  I mean, he hasn't even been close.  It's grossly overthrown every-time.  I've felt this way for weeks, but he just confirmed it in his post game presser.  They asked him if he can pin-point the reason, for not being able to hit the deep ball, and he just said, I don't know, followed by.......I don't know if I'm super anxious about under-throwing it, and getting an interception. The coaches have him playing scared. This is a major detriment to his development. News flash.....we are not winning the Super Bowl this year, but we have this special talent, that we need to develop. Peyton threw 33 picks his rookie year.  I'm sick of this ultra conservative approach.  The only we we are beating the better teams in this league, is if Josh plays up to his potential, and that's not happening with the leash that they have on him.  Let him go, and win or lose, live with the results.  We'll be better in the long run for it.

• Like (+1) 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Sorry if someone already made this point, but I'm at work and didn't have time to read through every post. 

Josh Allen is playing mistake free the last few games (bravo), but it's also severely hindering him.  The clear reason for not being able to connect on a deep ball, is his fear of throwing an interception.  As a result, the ball always ends up in no man's land.  Not only can it not be picked, but also has no chance of our guys coming down with it.  I mean, he hasn't even been close.  It's grossly overthrown every-time.  I've felt this way for weeks, but he just confirmed it in his post game presser.  They asked him if he can pin-point the reason, for not being able to hit the deep ball, and he just said, I don't know, followed by.......I don't know if I'm super anxious about under-throwing it, and getting an interception. The coaches have him playing scared. This is a major detriment to his development. News flash.....we are not winning the Super Bowl this year, but we have this special talent, that we need to develop. Peyton threw 33 picks his rookie year.  I'm sick of this ultra conservative approach.  The only we we are beating the better teams in this league, is if Josh plays up to his potential, and that's not happening with the leash that they have on him.  Let him go, and win or lose, live with the results.  We'll be better in the long run for it.

Exactly how I feel about Josh and the deep ball he's just scared of throwing picks 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

The most accurate post in history. Jauron ball killing us again 

• Like (+1) 1

BANG!!! These coaches have been stunting him all year and it's my biggest fear. Hell, he ran like a maniac last year and never fumbled. Why all the fumbles now. They have him so timid, it's sickening. This is an 8-1 team if they let us play ball. Maybe 9-0... I think we have it in us to get past NE if we unleashed the Kracken.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

I agree the coaches have him being ultra conservative.  We say now that we should just let him play and not worry about INTs but then when he throws INT's we will be complaining again. I can deal with INT's as long as he is throwing balls that his WR at least has a chance to get or the DB makes a good play. I cannot stand him just chucking it up in the air because he is under pressure and doesnt want to throw it away. 

4 minutes ago, bmur66 said:

Do we have a receiver that you can throw a 50/50 ball to with a high probability he will make the catch?

Can I answer that next season?

10 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

I agree the coaches have him being ultra conservative.  We say now that we should just let him play and not worry about INTs but then when he throws INT's we will be complaining again. I can deal with INT's as long as he is throwing balls that his WR at least has a chance to get or the DB makes a good play. I cannot stand him just chucking it up in the air because he is under pressure and doesnt want to throw it away. 

Can I answer that next season?

Exactly, not all interceptions are equal.  If you have a guy deep and it's picked because of an under-throw, but it was the right call, it was at least a good decision, just a bad throw.  Not the hero ball, across the field type of garbage. Coaches have to tell him that they are ok with that.  Don't be afraid of a pick in that situation.  The other thing I hate, and some of it is on Josh, but I think this falls on Daboll even more is that we love to run it up the middle for 2 yards on 2nd and short, and than take a deep shot on 3rd and short.  They have those two things backwards. It drove me crazy yesterday, and we see it every-week. 

Edited by Allen2Moulds
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If he really said that...then we have a major problem for his future.

I knew this season was about making him a more complete QB with the game managing and the improvement on the short passing....but...we cant have this next season.

I dont mind if he finishes the year learning to take what the defense gives. 

Hes been doing very well with that.....but he needs to be able to do both. Hes got to use that arm and hit downfield and play heroball...WHILE being smart and taking what the defense gives.

He has to be able to switch it on and off.

8 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Exactly, not all interceptions are equal.  If you have a guy deep and it's picked because of an under-throw, but it was the right call, it was at least a good decision, just a bad throw.  Not the hero ball, across the field type of garbage. Coaches have to tell him that they are ok with that.  Don't be afraid of a pick in that situation.  The other thing I hate, and some of it is on Josh, but I think this falls on Daboll even more is that we love to run it up the middle for 2 yards on 2nd and short, and than take a deep shot on 3rd and short.  They have those two things backwards. It drove me crazy yesterday, and we see it every-week. 

I would like someone in the media to ask Allen or Daboll who makes the decision to throw deep on 3rd and short. It has happened several times this season and it has never worked. When it happened yesterday I was yelling NO, NO, NO. and losing my mind at the TV. My wife and dog left the room.  

• Haha (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Allen2Moulds said:

100% agree with you, but not sure if it's something you can change mid season ether now.   If you try and change now I think you may be adding more confusion to him as to what to do and when.  The offense around him is also rather limited so would rather see them change their thinking when he has a better team around him. 

That doesn't help the crowd who thinks we can make a deep run this year, but think they are dreaming anyway.  Even if Josh opens it up,  overall not enough talent on the offensive side.  They still need either a true #1 WR or another top level 1A, a 10 year younger version of Frank Gore to compliment Singletary, and a tackle. 

And on defense, an elite pass rusher, plus CB help for Levi or maybe he'll be much improved with another year under his belt.  He has still played less than a full seaso nof games himself.

1 hour ago, Allen2Moulds said:

Yes, at least part of the problem. I will now listen to what Allen said after the game. 

I think Allen looks very good otherwise and played very well against the Browns.  Adding the long ball, completing a decent percentage of those, will help him to take another step forward.

21 minutes ago, StHustle said:

Playing like Tyrod Taylor 2.0 right now

That’s what I was gonna say. We took a big strong 6’5 guy with a cannon and coached him to be too safe with his throws. 
I don’t want to see the guy tossing picks every game, but I hate watching him miss over and over. He can’t lead a drive for a score consistently because he can’t hit enough passes accurately to sustain an entire drive.