One important question I have on the last drive

Thunderstruck

On this last attempt before the field goal- Beasley is clearly wide open at the stick and could easily get 10+ yards before getting out of bounds. This gives us time for a shot or two at the end zone (if they have faith to try that) and a much easier kick for the tie.

I would really like to know whether this is a case of

a) Josh not seeing the open man

b) The coaching staff having already pre-determined that the ball was going to be forced to Brown down the sideline

c) An immature QB that knew Beas would be open there but decided to go for the glory anyway

d) Other suggestions?

This play continues to bother me, because this is demonstrating a terrible pattern of behavior, either by our QB or our coaching staff (maybe both?)

Open man- small.png

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Think he made up his mind pre snap where the football was going  I dont like it but if he holds the ball he gets crushed  Dawkins was terrible and Daboll not bright enough to give him help with a chip block  Its a lower % play and we seem to be running way too many of those in critical third downs

• Like (+1) 1

Coming into this season we all wanted Josh to improve his completion percentage, which he has.  We wanted him to improve going through his progressions.  I think if you watch objectively he has.  But what he still needs to work on is his pre-snap reads.  I think that throw was a pre-snap read, and his read was that he had Brown one on one.  The read probably should have been Beasley, assuming he read the blitz coming from the left side.

Reading NFL defenses isn't easy, but Josh has to improve there.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, KellyToTasker said:

Dawkins was too busy stirring Mac and Cheese.

Eager to see how PFF “grades” him this week.  

I really hope we trade him and get ourselves a good LT.  If we pay him 12+ mill a year it’ll hurt

Could also be that using a snap shot of where everyone ended up gives people more time to wallow over what could have been.

In reality it was a split second descision made from an angle that we will not see (the QBs vantage point.). Easy to be critical seeing the play from where we can, after the fact, and with the ability to pause.

• Like (+1) 2

I vote for A too.  They call that the blind side as far as rushing the passer for a reason.  To a lesser extent it's also the blind side for receivers too.  Granted the QB knows there should be a guy out there and would tend to look, but still tougher when you have the guy bearing down.  It's a relatively short pas, cant float it, so he may be worried about the rusher getting a hand on it too and knocking it down.

It was never a decision. It was cover-0, meaning he got one read.  He had Brown (his #1 WR) 1-1 on the outside running either a go or an option route, depending on whether he got a jump.  The ball was always going to Brown, and the read was always on the right. These snap shots do nothing to help explain what happened on the play.  

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I agree with those suggesting that Dawkins whiffed block may have had a lot to do with this, but Josh still chose the lowest percentage / least open receiver on the field. I watched the post game presser and he proclaimed that he liked the one-on-one matchup with Brown down the field and that he had confidence that Brown could go get it. He did admit that it wasn't a good enough ball and didn't really give him a chance to do that.

While I am glad that Josh has confidence in his "#1 receiver", I just don't have that same confidence in Brown for back shoulder / jump ball type throws. It seems like we have built this receiving core for deep balls and timing routes, but we have a QB that just isn't very good at either of those. I truly hope he can improve and do it soon.

• Like (+1) 1

Hard to know what read Beas is on that play, and Allen definitely doesn’t have time to cycle through them right there. It could definitely be on Allen, but hard to say one way or another without context. While in the first half of the season, Beasley was the first read on a lot of passes, it doesn’t seem like that’s happening anymore... that’s a huge question mark for me.

2 minutes ago, Thunderstruck said:

I agree with those suggesting that Dawkins whiffed block may have had a lot to do with this, but Josh still chose the lowest percentage / least open receiver on the field. I watched the post game presser and he proclaimed that he liked the one-on-one matchup with Brown down the field and that he had confidence that Brown could go get it. He did admit that it wasn't a good enough ball and didn't really give him a chance to do that.

While I am glad that Josh has confidence in his "#1 receiver", I just don't have that same confidence in Brown for back shoulder / jump ball type throws. It seems like we have built this receiving core for deep balls and timing routes, but we have a QB that just isn't very good at either of those. I truly hope he can improve and do it soon.

The back shoulder come back to brown has been amazing this year. The problem, according to Smokey during his postgame presser, is that he didn’t get where he needed to be. 

Edited by whatdrought
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It was never a decision. It was cover-0, meaning he got one read.  He had Brown (his #1 WR) 1-1 on the outside running either a go or an option route, depending on whether he got a jump.  The ball was always going to Brown, and the read was always on the right. These snap shots do nothing to help explain what happened on the play.  

ok- I don't know what your background is, but it is entirely possible that you know a lot about the x's and o's of football. That being the case, are you really telling me that there was only one option on a critical 3rd down play with the game on the line? So Allen was throwing to Brown here, NO MATTER WHAT?

I'm sorry- if that is the case then there are even bigger issues here.

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Hard to know what read Beas is on that play, and Allen definitely doesn’t have time to cycle through them right there. It could definitely be on Allen, but hard to say one way or another without context. While in the first half of the season, Beasley was the first read on a lot of passes, it doesn’t seem like that’s happening anymore... that’s a huge question mark for me.

The back shoulder come back to brown has been amazing this year. The problem, according to Smokey during his postgame presser, is that he didn’t get where he needed to be. 

I won't deny that that play has been there several times this year, but do you really think Brown is the prototypical WR for back shoulder and jump ball type throws?

• Like (+1) 1