Has the bills offense shown any improvement from week 1 until now?

Steptide

Just now, reddogblitz said:

Maybe you're right.  But I have a hard time believing that an offense is hand cuffed that much by what the defense does.  I can see that to a point.

But in the eagles game because the Eagles were stacked against run we had to pass in 40 mile an hour winds?  We were stacking in on them too and they still ran the football and ran it effectively.

The Browns are bad against the run.  Putting an extra guy in there isn't going to turn them into a good run defense.  I would have liked to see us at least  try.  As it was Singletary got 42 yards on 8 carries.  5.4 per.  I bet if we'd given it to him another few times he would have broken one.

Maybe. Thing is that when people say this they aren't thinking at all about the defensive alignment, the progression of the game, the plays we way we have set up play action, certain route and run concepts, etc. Maybe Singletary got 5.4 per because he ran the ball against specific alignments, opening up massive holes? And maybe we only got those alignments a few times.  I don't really know the answer, but I know people calling for more runs don't either. 

Point is that this team is trying to play match ups. I don't think it is acceptable they haven't started to get better at it, but its what they are doing.  

For years I listened to this board complain about having a run first identity; how we were getting left behind the times; etc. Now we pass a ton and play match ups, all the things fans called for for years, and we want to go back to this run-first identity? Its wild to me. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

No, it hasn't.

In fact, the offense has digressed from late last season.

I know why but it isn't a popular take so I will keep quiet.

I'm as big a supporter of this regime and Allen has there is.  To me since last year Allen has passed the eye test AND has shown he can play.  

To me it doesn't look like a team with a QB that is Tyrod 2.0 (that is so ridiculous Tyrod was in years 5,6, and 7 on this team) but rather a team that lacks weapons and has a very mediocre OC tasked with developing this kid.  

Its not progressing fast enough.  And if we were 1-8 we'd be like the Rams after Goffs first year with the ability to pick any young "bright" OC to come in and pick this up.  

But I like what we have but ultimately im beginning to think McD is going to have to look for an OC outside his own comfort zone. 

Edited by Big Blitz
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Maybe. Thing is that when people say this they aren't thinking at all about the defensive alignment, the progression of the game, the plays we way we have set up play action, certain route and run concepts, etc. Maybe Singletary got 5.4 per because he ran the ball against specific alignments, opening up massive holes? And maybe we only got those alignments a few times.  I don't really know the answer, but I know people calling for more runs don't either. 

Point is that this team is trying to play match ups. I don't think it is acceptable they haven't started to get better at it, but its what they are doing.  

For years I listened to this board complain about having a run first identity; how we were getting left behind the times; etc. Now we pass a ton and play match ups, all the things fans called for for years, and we want to go back to this run-first identity? Its wild to me. 

You didn't hear it from me.

I prefer a strategy of what my Dad's friend used to say: "Do what you do do well". 

If what you say is true we're being at the mercy of what the other team does. We can only do what they say we can do. 

Sure you can avoid going right after the other teams strength.  But this is football.  Sometimes you have to  impose your will on the other team and beat them over the head with it.

And you still haven't pointed out an example where we took advantage of a Clowns weakness (or even tried).

Edited by reddogblitz

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

You didn't hear it from me.

I prefer a strategy of what my Dad's friend used to say: "Do what you do do well". 

If what you say is true we're being at the mercy of what the other team does. We can only do what they say we can do. 

Sure you can avoid going right after the other teams strength.  But this is football.  Sometimes you have to  impose your will on the other team and beat them over the head with it.

To be honest, I never complained about the approach. But after years of seeing the run-first bills teams fail, I have given up on it. I am happy we are throwing a ton. I don't care if it hurts us in the short term. I want to know if JA can be a franchise QB; and, the only way we will know for sure is if he throws it all over the field. That doesn't really have anything to do with the match ups we are discussing above, but that is where I am coming from. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Mahommes, Jackson and Watson and thats just in the last few years, not 20.   So your answer is way off.

It's impressive that Mahomes will take a big step forward after his second season as a starter.  He's already won an MVP in his first season as a starter and is in the mix to win another in his second season.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

To be honest, I never complained about the approach. But after years of seeing the run-first bills teams fail, I have given up on it. I am happy we are throwing a ton. I don't care if it hurts us in the short term. I want to know if JA can be a franchise QB; and, the only way we will know for sure is if he throws it all over the field. That doesn't really have anything to do with the match ups we are discussing above, but that is where I am coming from. 

The run first strategy would have been effective if Rex could have coached defense.

7 hours ago, beacon said:

No difference to me. Dump OC now. I vote for hurry-up with 4 wide, Singletay lone back and let it rip. Let Allen scramble/run all he wants. Just slide!!!!!!

I agree with this but people used to say that about Losman.  While this staff is certainly conservative, they may also be preventing Allen from single handedly losing games by turning the ball over.

its an interesting spot. Develop your qb and see what he has or do what is best for winning. 

Of course there’s been improvement as the team continues to evolve. Contrary to public opinion, the coaches and players really do ‘have to look at the film’ to best assess where they are in the schemes the team runs. Offensively, this virtually brand new unit has had a grand total of 4.5 hrs of game time together -with most of that being the clock ticking and no playing. Is our KR better than last years #1WR? Is Ford better outside with Feliciano or inside with Nseke at T? Who are our best TE’s from an entirely new group? Currently, the rookies look like rookies but have had some great plays. Lee Smith is having a terrible campaign overall, though he’s in on every short yardage/goal line O and we’re the Leagues best at this. OL continuity has no history of all 5 players blending well in a 1st year together, so why are they expected to here? JB & Beas are fine WR’s, just very small. The team is trying to find the right big body guy to fit with them who’s currently on the roster. Josh has absolutely evolved -some are suggesting too much- as he’s not trying dangerous pass attempts while trying to fit in on an offense with all new players. 

Ditto Defense. Their play is on every teams laptops to learn where we can be hurt. Losing Phillips to season ending injury, Kyle’s retirement and Oliver not delivering early have impacted the DTs and we continue to see many attempts to improve/disguise it. 

The age old adage ‘if ya ain’t improving, yer going backwards’ is a mantra every team embraces, from Pop Warner to the NFL. 

I cant help but think all here know this and this thread is just a community whine session cuz we lost a very close game for just the 3rd time in 13 games played since the Offense was created in training camp.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Of course there’s been improvement as the team continues to evolve. Contrary to public opinion, the coaches and players really do ‘have to look at the film’ to best assess where they are in the schemes the team runs. Offensively, this virtually brand new unit has had a grand total of 4.5 hrs of game time together -with most of that being the clock ticking and no playing. Is our KR better than last years #1WR? Is Ford better outside with Feliciano or inside with Nseke at T? Who are our best TE’s from an entirely new group? Currently, the rookies look like rookies but have had some great plays. Lee Smith is having a terrible campaign overall, though he’s in on every short yardage/goal line O and we’re the Leagues best at this. OL continuity has no history of all 5 players blending well in a 1st year together, so why are they expected to here? JB & Beas are fine WR’s, just very small. The team is trying to find the right big body guy to fit with them who’s currently on the roster. Josh has absolutely evolved -some are suggesting too much- as he’s not trying dangerous pass attempts while trying to fit in on an offense with all new players.

You say of course there's been improvement but you don't mention where.  Mostly you just made excuses.  Are we scoring more points?  Gaining more yards?  Getting more first downs?

The only thing I could point to is Josh hasn't made any ill advised passes into a crowd like he did last year and earlier this year in the last few games.

I'm pleased as punch we're 6-3 and hats off to team for that.  However our offense looks as bad as ever.  Unless I'm missing something.  Help out a bills brother and tell me what please.

You don't get a pass because players aren't good enough. they are the ones the coaches picked.

Or maybe, just maybe, these guys aren't that good right now. 

The o line has lots of room for improvement.  Better than last year, but that's not saying much. 

WR needs upgrading, I like Brown and Beasley, but the rest are basically irrelevant.

TE is still a liability, 2 rookies, a no show and a penalty machine.

RB is oddly utilized,  not sure of the strategy here..

QB Allen has mitigated the Ints, but still fumbles way to much.  Also throwing behind and over guys a lot.

Let's see where they are at the end of the season ,would be nice to get over 300 yards once or twice, but not counting on it.

9 minutes ago, Jigsaw2112 said:

Or maybe, just maybe, these guys aren't that good right now. 

The o line has lots of room for improvement.  Better than last year, but that's not saying much. 

WR needs upgrading, I like Brown and Beasley, but the rest are basically irrelevant.

TE is still a liability, 2 rookies, a no show and a penalty machine.

RB is oddly utilized,  not sure of the strategy here..

QB Allen has mitigated the Ints, but still fumbles way to much.  Also throwing behind and over guys a lot.

Let's see where they are at the end of the season ,would be nice to get over 300 yards once or twice, but not counting on it.

3rd year under Coach McDermott and  2nd under Beane and we still don't have good enough players?  Is that in anyway an indictment on Coach McDermott and Beane's  player evaluation?  They inherited a pretty doggone talented roster.

Edited by reddogblitz

7 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Care to back that up with facts and examples rather than pulling more crap out of your ass?

Brees, Eli and Stafford are the only first round QBs who struggled their first two seasons who went on to become franchise guys.

That's the extent of the list. 

7 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

Mahommes, Jackson and Watson and thats just in the last few years, not 20.   So your answer is way off.

I think you misread what I wrote.

All of those guys were playing elite football by their 2nd season.

10 hours ago, beacon said:

No difference to me. Dump OC now. I vote for hurry-up with 4 wide, Singletay lone back and let it rip. Let Allen scramble/run all he wants. Just slide!!!!!!

Amen my brother. Fire Dumboll immediately. Pray Clappy has just enough intelligence left to hire a competent replacement. Purchase a #1 wr in FA. Thank Frank for his service and draft a 2nd rb to back up Devin. Cut Lee Smith and never bring him back. Expect more out of Knox & Sweeney. Keep upgrading the OL.  In case no one has noticed lately Josh Allen is being completely ruined by this coaching staff. And this is an absolute tragedy.....

Edited by LABILLBACKER