Has the bills offense shown any improvement from week 1 until now?

Steptide

On 11/11/2019 at 5:42 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Any chance we can nip that "identity" narrative in the bud? Daboll is attacking match ups he thinks they can take advantage of. It isn't work as well as we'd hope, but its his plan.  Saying we haven't developed an "identity" completely misunderstands what the coaches are trying to accomplish. 

ATTEMPTING to throw the ball is not an identity, it's wishful thinking.  Attacking a match-up you cannot exploit is foolish.

They are 23rd in the league in yards:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2019&seasonType=REG

They are 25th in the league in points:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

That is who they are.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Socal-805 said:

ATTEMPTING to throw the ball is not an identity, it's wishful thinking.  Attacking a match-up you cannot exploit is foolish.

They are 23rd in the league in yards:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=2&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&conference=ALL&role=TM&season=2019&seasonType=REG

They are 25th in the league in points:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?archive=false&conference=null&role=TM&offensiveStatisticCategory=SCORING&defensiveStatisticCategory=null&season=2019&seasonType=REG&tabSeq=2&qualified=false&Submit=Go

That is who they are.

Are you serious? You took the time to find links to say this? You're gonna need some practice at this before you come in hot with these takes. 

On 11/11/2019 at 8:42 AM, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Any chance we can nip that "identity" narrative in the bud? Daboll is attacking match ups he thinks they can take advantage of. It isn't work as well as we'd hope, but its his plan.  Saying we haven't developed an "identity" completely misunderstands what the coaches are trying to accomplish. 

Accomplish? They aren’t accomplishing anything, Daboll can’t keep the Offense in a groove. It has become tiresome at best. The offense has no mojo at all. Ample talent but no functional plan to do anything thing with it for more than a three drives a game. The offense needs to score a minimum of one TD per quarter if it wants to have real success. Either Daboll is an idiot or our players aren’t very smart, or it’s a combination of both. Arrrgh!!!!! Frustrating!! 

Go Bills!!!

11 hours ago, Augie said:

Maybe we should try it a bit more? THAT is certainly a problem. It’s not that it hasn’t worked, we just refuse to try! We had 41 passes to 14 handoffs, against the 30th ranked run defense. I don’t get it. 

This is what frustrates me all the time with BD, it’s like he has an idiot streak in his personality that can’t be overcome..,. Arrrgh!

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/11/2019 at 9:45 AM, jrober38 said:

This is a terrible offense. There are major long term problems at QB and OC, and possibly even HC. 

You're not wrong.

There are red flags everywhere, but in reality, Allen will get another year or 2 to prove himself as will McDermott.

7 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Accomplish? They aren’t accomplishing anything, Daboll can’t keep the Offense in a groove. It has become tiresome at best. The offense has no mojo at all. Ample talent but no functional plan to do anything thing with it for more than a three drives a game. The offense needs to score a minimum of one TD per quarter if it wants to have real success. Either Daboll is an idiot or our players aren’t very smart, or it’s a combination of both. Arrrgh!!!!! Frustrating!! 

Go Bills!!!

This is what frustrates me all the time with BD, it’s like he has an idiot streak in his personality that can’t be overcome..,. Arrrgh!

Go Bills!!!

Yes. That is why they are "trying" to accomplish it. 

16 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Are you serious? You took the time to find links to say this? You're gonna need some practice at this before you come in hot with these takes. 

Some additional info. for the big boys.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

Buffalo throws poorly, and too much.  They do run well.  

Just now, Socal-805 said:

Some additional info. for the big boys.

https://www.sharpfootballstats.com/situational-run-pass-ratios--off-.html

Buffalo throws poorly, and too much.  They do run well.  

Look, my original point is that they are "trying" to accomplish certain things, and that saying they haven't found an "identity" misunderstands what they are doing.  All of what you are saying has nothing to do with my point. I understand they are failing. That doesn't change my point. 

For those screaming "regression", note also that the disparity in competition of the first 3 games versus, say, the last 3.

Let's also use the Pats game (4) as the barometer, as that was easily the offense's poorest showing. That said, the rushing offense was pretty good in that game. If Josh Allen plays in that game as well as he has SINCE then (even if he just takes a sack or throws the ball away in those ill-fated "hero ball" moments) , the Bills beat the Pats.

The real problem for me (even in the Washington game) has been the play-calling. Daboll needs to find a way to get the offense into a rhythm. Usually the best way to do that is to design some quick-hitting plays (slants, come-back routes, etc.) that gets the ball out of Josh's hand quickly. That should help to open up the running game too.

I don't see much improvement thus far if any, although I was surely expecting at least some improvement by now half way through the season. I guess to me anyway, it seems like it may be an easy fix IMO.

Get Motor and Gore the ball and run the ball more and that should open up more pass completions. Also Allen HAS to stop fumbling the damn ball so much. But I must say I have been a little disappointed with the way the offense has performed.

Got some ball play calling and bad execution. These things HAVE to get cleaned up and need to be done now.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy

29 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

You're not wrong.

There are red flags everywhere, but in reality, Allen will get another year or 2 to prove himself as will McDermott.

Hard to imagine him getting more than another year if things don't improve dramatically. 

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Look, my original point is that they are "trying" to accomplish certain things, and that saying they haven't found an "identity" misunderstands what they are doing.  All of what you are saying has nothing to do with my point. I understand they are failing. That doesn't change my point. 

Fair enough. 

I am just tired of seeing the Bills throw the ball when Allen is poor - IMO.  They threw 41 times again Cleveland and had 14 run plays NOT by Allen.

If Daboll can't figure this out, he and Josh Allen will be "throwing" the Bills right out of the playoffs.  And McD. will be searching for his 3rd O.C. in 4 years.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Socal-805 said:

Fair enough. 

I am just tired of seeing the Bills throw the ball when Allen is poor - IMO.  They threw 41 times again Cleveland and had 14 run plays NOT by Allen.

If Daboll can't figure this out, he and Josh Allen will be "throwing" the Bills right out of the playoffs.  And McD. will be searching for his 3rd O.C. in 4 years.

You want your offense to attack matchups.  If the opposing defense gives you one on one coverage, with more guys in the box than you can block, than you pass. 

It is not as simple as finding a good pass v. run equilibrium.  

10 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, you're right, QBs never get better. Oh, wait ...

That's a stunningly dumb take. Some QBs get better. Some don't. The idea in your post that doesn't make sense is that Allen can't develop into a very good NFL QB. He might, or might not. It's too early to know.

And as for your other brilliant take here, that Josh "has never led a prolific offense at any point in his life," you've found yet another way to increase the wrongness out there in the world. The 2016 Wyoming Cowboys, who had a fairly decent cast on offense around Josh, only averaged 37.6 points per game during their 12 games. Who could ever call that prolific, except anyone with a brain?

More wrongness to a startling degree.

I'd put up Hall of Famer Terry Bradshaw's first two years stats but people wouldn't believe how awful they were. Suffice it to say he threw two and a half times as many INTs as TDs. Troy Aikman threw nearly twice as many INTs as TDs his first two years, 36 INTs to 20 TDs. Aaron Rodgers was awful his first three years at camp. Take a look at his preseason stats. Carson Palmer wasn't awful, but he sure struggled, a year on the bench and then 18 TDs and 18 INTs his second year.

And what round a guy was drafted in has no bearing. The only thing that does is limit the number of names that are eligible, to make it easier to make your dumb argument. There are plenty of guys who were bad for more than two years and then became franchise guys. What round they were picked in is beside the point. Some guys who aren't good enough at the beginning become good enough.

Alex Smith. Tony Romo. Kurt Warner couldn't even get in the league for four years and it was his third year before he was good. Jake Delhomme. Chad Pennington, who would've been a Hall of Famer without those shoulder injuries. Mark Rypien couldn't get on the field his first three years and would've been an HOFer if not for what we now know was a terrible concussion that destroyed his career. Kirk Cousins couldn't get on the field much his first three years but when he did he was bad, with 19 INTs and 18 TDs.

I could - very easily - go on.

Sigh.

Wyoming was 19th in total points and 47th in total yards in 2016. Whoop di freaking doo.

I think you'd struggle to find literally anyone but yourself who would describe the 2016 Wyoming Cowboys offense as being prolific.

You want to talk about camp? Yikes.

You want to go back to the 70s when 5 QBs threw for 3,000 yards and 6 QBs posted a QB Rating above 80? Yikes.

Maybe try keeping it in this millennium. The NFL has changed dramatically over the past 20 years. Only someone without a brain wouldn't know that. 

Keep going on. You brought nothing even remotely intelligent to the conversation. Keep living the 70s, 80s and 90s pretending that how football was played then and how QBs were developed in that period of the game has anything to do with how things have been done for the past 10-20 years. 

The Wyoming Cowboys offense was prolific? Maybe the stupidest thing I've ever read on a Buffalo Bills message board.

CONGRATS!!

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

Sigh.

Wyoming was 19th in total points and 47th in total yards in 2016. Whoop di freaking doo.

I think you'd struggle to find literally anyone but yourself who would describe the 2016 Wyoming Cowboys offense as being prolific.

You want to talk about camp? Yikes.

You want to go back to the 70s when 5 QBs threw for 3,000 yards and 6 QBs posted a QB Rating above 80? Yikes.

Maybe try keeping it in this millennium. The NFL has changed dramatically over the past 20 years. Only someone without a brain wouldn't know that. 

Keep going on. You brought nothing even remotely intelligent to the conversation. Keep living the 70s, 80s and 90s pretending that how football was played then and how QBs were developed in that period of the game has anything to do with how things have been done for the past 10-20 years. 

The Wyoming Cowboys offense was prolific? Maybe the stupidest thing I've ever read on a Buffalo Bills message board.

CONGRATS!!

Meh, you kind of got smoked on the Wyoming point. Those rankings aren't as meaningless in college rankings as you think they are. 

4 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Meh, you kind of got smoked on the Wyoming point. Those rankings aren't as meaningless in college rankings as you think they are. 

19th in scoring and 47th in yards, and they're "PROLIFIC"?

Gimme a freaking break.

11 minutes ago, Houston's #1 Bills Fan said:

Agreed. I feel like we should and can use Beasley should like NE uses Edelman. Same player. It's a travesty that we are wasting his talents.

Difference is qb. Brady is good Allen isnt. When you watch the Pats first thing Brady does is send someone in motion to see what the defense does. It tells him man or zone. If he likes what he sees if he doesnt he will check out of the play. The nice thing about the EP system is you can pretty much run the entire play book out of any formation

Just now, jrober38 said:

19th in scoring and 47th in yards, and they're "PROLIFIC"?

Gimme a freaking break.

Almost 38 points is really good. I guess we can quible about whether it is "prolific," but semantics are always a losing argument. 

There are 130 teams in college football.  The 19th ranked offense is more or less equivalent to the 4th best offense in the NFL.  (19/130 = appox. 4/32). 

• Like (+1) 1