It Will All Come Down to Week 17 vs the Jets

H2o

image.thumb.png.418aad1403fb5169dfb37e4c542188fd.png

This is the remaining schedule. For all the talk of our schedule being a "cakewalk" things have surely begun to look different the last couple of weeks or so. The Dolphins are riding a two game win streak, the Broncos have played some teams tough the last few weeks, the Steelers are making a move in the AFC North, and you never know which Jets team is going to show up. To make the playoffs I believe we will have to go 4-3 the rest of the way at worst. It will take 10-6 to get into the playoffs. 

Right now we still sit in that 5th spot, but things are getting more jumbled by the week. The Steelers, Raiders, and Colts are all 5-4 with Tennessee (after their big win against the Chiefs yesterday) sitting at 5-5. The Steelers defense is really starting to gel, the Raiders and Derek Carr are playing some of their best football, Tennessee with Ryan Tannehill at the helm is looking like a different team, the Colts have proven they can hang with anyone as long as Brissett is under Center, the Jaguars are about to get Foles back with their record at 4-5, you still can't count out Cleveland at 3-6 just yet, and the Chargers are still possible of a run while at 4-6. The Wild Card race is going to be a marathon until week 17. 

When it's all said and done I think we get 3 wins in the next 6 games. This is not me saying we can't get more than that by any means because we could actually start playing some complete football ourselves at some point. I would like to believe that we get the next two to be at 8-3 going into Dallas on Thanksgiving. You never know with Daboll calling the plays though (I hate that guy. Not personally, but as an OC I think he's horrible.) as he is constantly making us all go "wtf". If we do somehow pull off a Thanksgiving Day miracle we may still win 11 or 12, but Daboll is the reason I am thinking we likely only win 3 out of the next 6. The 3rd will come somewhere from Dallas, Baltimore, or Pittsburgh. I think we lose to the Pats in NE. So hypothetically at 9-6, going into the last week of the season, the Jets and Gase will have a chance to be our stepping stone into the playoffs or they will be the nail in our coffin. Hopefully this isn't a 2004 type of let down. Not the same circumstances of course, but it could be the same level of disappointment. 

• Like (+1) 1

Now that the Steelers have gotten back in the playoff chase I think the Bills at Steelers game will be "THE GAME" if everything else goes the way it should. This is the Bills and nothing is easy or guaranteed and yesterday's Falcons at Saints game proves anything can happen. Here is how I think it will go.

Wins over the Dolphins, Broncos, Jets. None of these games will be easy though. Miami isn't tanking, the Broncos D can give the Bills fits, the Jets would love nothing more than to spoil our season just like we did to them a few years back. Plus they and the Dolphins hate us.

Tough games the Bills most likely lose at Dallas, Baltimore, at NE. I would love it if the Bills could steal one here but I doubt it. That leaves at Pitt. It won't be easy but the Steelers are beatable especially without Ben. The biggest concern here is the Steelers physical D smacking the Bills O around. This game is the one that decides everything assuming everything goes the way I think it will

Best case scenario was being 9-2 on Thanksgiving and needing to overcome a 4 game losing streak against the Jets to win & get in, but then payback from 2015 happens. While culture is important, you also need talent & coaching. We lack the latter & week 17s won’t mean anything until we address that.

49 minutes ago, Greg S said:

Now that the Steelers have gotten back in the playoff chase I think the Bills at Steelers game will be "THE GAME" if everything else goes the way it should. This is the Bills and nothing is easy or guaranteed and yesterday's Falcons at Saints game proves anything can happen. Here is how I think it will go.

Wins over the Dolphins, Broncos, Jets. None of these games will be easy though. Miami isn't tanking, the Broncos D can give the Bills fits, the Jets would love nothing more than to spoil our season just like we did to them a few years back. Plus they and the Dolphins hate us.

Tough games the Bills most likely lose at Dallas, Baltimore, at NE. I would love it if the Bills could steal one here but I doubt it. That leaves at Pitt. It won't be easy but the Steelers are beatable especially without Ben. The biggest concern here is the Steelers physical D smacking the Bills O around. This game is the one that decides everything assuming everything goes the way I think it will

Steelers is the game that matters left in schedule.  Of course we need to beat the teams we should beat...but losing to dallas ravens and Pat's means nothing if we win against steelers. 

Perhaps.

If the Bills lose to the remaining four teams that currently have winning records (DAL, BAL, PIT, NE) and then a loss to the Jets proves to be the nail in the coffin for the Bills playoff hopes, it will give credence to what I felt at the start of the season. 

After the Cleveland loss, I don't like how things feel, even at 6-3.

May find the Bills having to beat at least 3 of those 4 teams to keep their chances alive

2 hours ago, H2o said:

you still can't count out Cleveland at 3-6 just yet, and the Chargers are still possible of a run while at 4-6.

The Browns go to Pittsburgh on a short week and this will be Rivers's last season in a Chargers uniform because he's lost his touch. The Browns and Chargers are not going to make the playoffs.

10 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

The Browns go to Pittsburgh on a short week and this will be Rivers's last season in a Chargers uniform because he's lost his touch. The Browns and Chargers are not going to make the playoffs.

There won't be a 2nd WC from that division and Balt/Pitt are in good position over the Browns

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

There won't be a 2nd WC from that division and Balt/Pitt are in good position over the Browns

Not saying the Browns are a juggernaut by any means, but they did already beat Baltimore and their schedule is favorable over the rest of the season. If they can beat the Steelers twice, win the other games on their schedule, and their only loss be to the Ravens down the stretch then they hold the tie breaker over us at 9-7 with the head-to-head victory. I do think it is possible for them to do this even still. That's why I said 10-6 is what we need to get in. :thumbsup:

Edited by H2o

In the west you have KC( they should win the division but knows) and Oakland. In the south the Texans and Colts are in the mix although one of them will win the division. Titans are also in the hunt but the Bills did beat them already. There a few teams now to keep an eye. Need to beat Miami as that is an absolute must.

They will know their chances long before week 17. The next two weeks will determine whether the bills make the playoffs or not. They lose the next two, they are out of contention. Win the next two, you may be able to still think about playoffs? Personally I think they blew it yesterday when they lost to the browns. We'll see?

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

This Thursday night is Pitt at Cleveland. Go Browns this week.

• Like (+1) 1

If the Bills only beat Miami, Denver, and the Jets their odds of making the playoffs are still >90%.  Throw in a win at Dallas, Pittsburgh, or home against Baltimore and it's a virtual lock.

They simply have to win these next two.

While I’ve long thought that the 10th win wouldn’t come until the week 17 Jets game, it no longer seems likely. A more likely scenario is the Bills will have run out of chances before that. Week 17 may only get them to 8 or 9. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As long as we are all speculating on making the playoffs...

What happens if we do NOT make the playoffs this year?

Does McDermott get fired?

I’d guess no. He returns, they get another FA period to address the offense and pass rush as well as the draft. If things haven’t improved by the end of next season he’s on the hot seat. 

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

As long as we are all speculating on making the playoffs...

What happens if we do NOT make the playoffs this year?

Does McDermott get fired?

probably not, but he might do something that forces them to fire him