Greg Roman would've been the perfect O coordinator for this squad?

BillsBlue

15 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

Seems like they need at least one pass catcher  that can consistently win one on one. Not seeing  that guy guy on the roster and I don’t mean deep speed. 

Cleveland sent 7 multiple times, with 5 Bills running patterns. Even if you don’t have time to find the uncovered guy no one is doubled.

Other things on this topic: 

They really need to fix their screen game. Devin is great at it. With Chan’s O, similar roots, screen game was outstanding.

Romans west coast offense might work ok here, but Kap and Lamar are better runners than josh and the version of Gore he had was different than now. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsBlue said:

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 

To be fair - rex fired him.  He has no relationship with any of the coaches or GMs here so I'm not sure why anyone would expect us to have brought him in.  

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Seems like they need at least one pass catcher  that can consistently win one on one. Not seeing  that guy guy on the roster and I don’t mean deep speed. 

Cleveland sent 7 multiple times, with 5 Bills running patterns. Even if you don’t have time to find the uncovered guy no one is doubled.

Other thing to note: 

They really need to fix their screen game. Devin is great at it. 

I think the screen game issue has a lot to do with allens athleticism.  Teams are employing spies, and adjusting rush angles to try and prevent him from breaking contain.  By doing that they're also muddying up the screen game it seems.  

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

Look at the last play on 3rd and 4.  Clock running, checks to a cover 0 beater with john brown and throws it towards the sideline and gives his guy a chance. 

Now take that same play and employ gronkowski... that's gotta be like a 90% completion/PI play.  Talent would help tremendously.  

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Look at the last play on 3rd and 4.  Clock running, checks to a cover 0 beater with john brown and throws it towards the sideline and gives his guy a chance. 

Now take that same play and employ gronkowski... that's gotta be like a 90% completion/PI play.  Talent would help tremendously.  

this

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Cleveland sent 7 multiple times, with 5 Bills running patterns. Even if you don’t have time to find the uncovered guy no one is doubled. Activating Duke would help with this right now. Honestly, I think it’s time to start rolling with Sweeney, Kroft, and Knox and deactivating Lee Smith. Too many negative plays. I’d rather have more talented pass catchers on the field. I also think that there’s no reason to utilize McK if those jets sweeps and gadget plays aren’t heavily featured. I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen those plays work when run by Roberts, Foster, and Knox. They could certainly put Knox out wide and motion him for a jet sweep or to line up at FB in an offset I. 

Other things on this topic: 

They really need to fix their screen game. Devin is great at it. With Chan’s O, similar roots, screen game was outstanding. They’ve used the same screen to often. It’s being recognized. It’s time to start getting creative with personnel... Perhaps a play action screen to Gore. ?‍♂️

Romans west coast offense might work ok here, but Kap and Lamar are better runners than josh and the version of Gore he had was different than now. ??

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

To be fair - rex fired him.  He has no relationship with any of the coaches or GMs here so I'm not sure why anyone would expect us to have brought him in.  

This ^^^. 

I think the screen game issue has a lot to do with allens athleticism.  Teams are employing spies, and adjusting rush angles to try and prevent him from breaking contain.  By doing that they're also muddying up the screen game it seems.  I’m sure that plays a part as does the frequent zone coverage teams are using when not employing a spy. They need to adapt by using Gore for screens and quick hitters outside to stretch the D horizontally. I also think there will be some more space if they can start connecting on deep passes. Foster had some easy short and intermediate catches last year after he torched a few teams. 

Now take that same play and employ gronkowski... that's gotta be like a 90% completion/PI play.  Talent would help tremendously.  With the current personnel we have limited options. Maybe use 12 personnel with trips. ?‍♂️  Lining up Kroft, Knox, and McK in a bunch would certainly scream screen to the defense which might help to open an easy slant or seam route for a TE  

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Unless he's changed his approach to management and commication (which is possible if he's learned under Harbaugh), he'll faceplant as a HC.

It doesn’t really matter if he’s changed his ways or not, what he has done with Jackson is nothing short of a miracle. An OC that can get the most of out of his young QB is worth his weight in gold (and for him, that’s a lot of gold!). He’ll have his pick of the bottom dwellers. Maybe Dallas. 

2 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

It doesn’t really matter if he’s changed his ways or not, what he has done with Jackson is nothing short of a miracle. An OC that can get the most of out of his young QB is worth his weight in gold (and for him, that’s a lot of gold!). He’ll have his pick of the bottom dwellers. Maybe Dallas. 

What makes you think he’d be getting that much out of a young pocket passer?

• Like (+1) 1

Our offense stalled out bad under Roman.  He’s done that multiple times before and time will tell if it happens again.  He got shut down in the playoffs last year.  But maybe it does work out for him.  

Our offense got better when we promoted Lynn who runs a similar style offense.  He may very well become available after this season.   

Personally, I would want someone who gives us the least transition possible with basic terminology 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Our offense stalled out bad under Roman.  He’s done that multiple times before and time will tell if it happens again.  He got shut down in the playoffs last year.  But maybe it does work out for him.  

Our offense got better when we promoted Lynn who runs a similar style offense.  He may very well become available after this season.   

Personally, I would want someone who gives us the least transition possible with basic terminology 

Personally both QBs and RBS didn't fit his style. Tyrod is gun shy and McCoy granted still did his best  or very good under him. He needs a Frank Gore or Mark Ingram. Jackson is much better QB than Tyrod or Kaepernick.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, BillsBlue said:

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 

I agree. But i think Daboll isnt doing that badly. He has to give JA some room to grow instead of just having him throw 10yd passes and handoff/run the ball 100% of the time

• Like (+1) 1

Greg Roman is doing a great job. He's basically got Lamar Jackson doing exactly what he did in college in the NFL. 

If only Daboll could get Allen to play as well as Allen did in college. Actually, maybe Daboll is doing exactly that. This is about as well as Allen played in college. If you even look at what Allen did great in college, redzone scoring. He's doing that here. 

Coaches have been blamed for not making Allen a great QB at every level of football. Here we go again. Allen is what he is.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Virgil said:

I wouldn't make that sweeping statement.  Lynn ran the offense that was installed, because several games into the season, and with the players he had in place, there's really not much choice.

I don't think Lynn's natural picture of the "perfect offense" is anything like that.

19 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Roman needed a HC to reign him in a bit.  He’s a great play designer but struggled with disciplined play calling on game day.  Remember the chaos that would occur as Tyrod waited and waited and waited for Roman to send the play in, as the play clock ticked down?  By the time they’d get to the line Tyrod wouldn’t have time to survey the defense (not that it mattered - Tyrod didn’t really read defenses presnap).  Harbaugh seems to have helped Roman develop into a more compete game day coach.

But if he ever gets a HC opportunity watch out, because I don’t see him succeeding in a situation where he’s the top man with no one to collar his worst tendencies.

the delays were definitely maddening, his double relay system was the fault for this, telling the backup QB the play and then having him tell the QB on the field just took to long,probably doesn't do that anymore.

• Like (+1) 1