Greg Roman would've been the perfect O coordinator for this squad?

BillsBlue

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Roman was/is a great Coordinator.  We lost him because we needed a scapegoat for our offensive struggles and that certainly wasn't going to be Tyrod.

Tyrod is now on the bench again and Roman is a coordinator with the #1 offense in the league averaging 33 points per game.  

But Roman was holding Tyrod back....LOL.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Roman needed a HC to reign him in a bit.  He’s a great play designer but struggled with disciplined play calling on game day.  Remember the chaos that would occur as Tyrod waited and waited and waited for Roman to send the play in, as the play clock ticked down?  By the time they’d get to the line Tyrod wouldn’t have time to survey the defense (not that it mattered - Tyrod didn’t really read defenses presnap).  Harbaugh seems to have helped Roman develop into a more compete game day coach.

But if he ever gets a HC opportunity watch out, because I don’t see him succeeding in a situation where he’s the top man with no one to collar his worst tendencies.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Roman needed a HC to reign him in a bit.  He’s a great play designer but struggled with disciplined play calling on game day.  Remember the chaos that would occur as Tyrod waited and waited and waited for Roman to send the play in, as the play clock ticked down?  By the time they’d get to the line Tyrod wouldn’t have time to survey the defense (not that it mattered - Tyrod didn’t really read defenses presnap).  Harbaugh seems to have helped Roman develop into a more compete game day coach.

But if he ever gets a HC opportunity watch out, because I don’t see him succeeding in a situation where he’s the top man with no one to collar his worst tendencies.

We weren’t late getting the play in on every single play.  It happened here and there like every NFL QB.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:

We weren’t late getting the play in on every single play.  It happened here and there like every NFL QB.

It was rampant and it came to a head during that nighttime home game against the Jets that they lost, there was absolute chaos on the sideline and huddle during nearly every offensive series and Roman was fired the next morning.  It was a constant issue with him.

• Like (+1) 5

29 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 

An Offensive coordinator as a scapegoat for an underperforming QB and an offense who can’t score points?  Hmmmm that sounds familiar 

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, auburnbillsbacker said:

To be fair, his offense finished in the top 10 with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  So 1 year of success I supoose.

Exactly imagine what he could've done with Allen instead of tyrod and some decent wrs like we have now

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Roman was/is a great Coordinator.  We lost him because we needed a scapegoat for our offensive struggles and that certainly wasn't going to be Tyrod.

Tyrod is now on the bench again and Roman is a coordinator with the #1 offense in the league averaging 33 points per game.  

But Roman was holding Tyrod back....LOL.  

Okay, but didn’t Anthony Lynn step in and make noticeable improvements to the offense almost immediately?  For whatever reason, Roman was not effective as an OC/playcaller that season.

• Like (+1) 3

5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Okay, but didn’t Anthony Lynn step in and make noticeable improvements to the offense almost immediately?  For whatever reason, Roman was not effective as an OC/playcaller that season.

Roman's offense scored 31 the week he was fired, but the Ryan bros' defense gave up 37 to Fitzmagic (who struggled the rest of the year) and Roman was the scapegoat. 

Like others have said, Roman had his faults and a stronger HC probably would have been able to work through them. He was good for at least one head-scratching gadget play per game, but no one can argue that he made Tyrod Taylor look like an above-competent QB, and now he's turned a similar type of QB into an MVP candidate. 

• Like (+1) 2

I'm obviously looking at things differently Roman was a good coach and doing a great job now. Lets face it Rex can get any coach fired.

Tyrod and Allen are allergic to open receivers.

Tyrod would protect the ball... maybe to a fault. Allen is extremely careless and doesn't have the pocket presence.

Tyrod would occasionally put up 30 point games.  Allen has trouble getting to 20.

I know I will be criticized but I don't see Allen being a step up from TT. I am banking that JA has an upside that we have not seen yet.

• Like (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

It was rampant and it came to a head during that nighttime home game against the Jets that they lost, there was absolute chaos on the sideline and huddle during nearly every offensive series and Roman was fired the next morning.  It was a constant issue with him.

I think you're exaggerating this.  We made him the highest paid Coordinator in the league after San Francisco.....he doesn't get that type of deal if he can't organize the game from the sidelines.  He was good, we just had a bad QB.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

It was two games in.  We started 0-2 in the first 4 days of the season since the Jets game was a TNF game.  

31 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Exactly imagine what he could've done with Allen instead of tyrod and some decent wrs like we have now

AND what the team could have done overall with the defense we have now...even with the recent run stopping struggles.  We could go a long way with an average middle of the pack offense.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

He’s almost certain to get that opportunity this coming offseason. And well deserved. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Unless he's changed his approach to management and commication (which is possible if he's learned under Harbaugh), he'll faceplant as a HC.

If he does get an opportunity he'll need to hire coordinators with HC experience and a spine. And his OC will need to be well versed in passing concepts. Maybe someone like Whisenhunt 

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

Excellent take and thanks for the education ?

• Like (+1) 1