Week 11: Bills at Dolphins - Spread: Bills -6.5

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

Everything with Allen comes down to the game slowing down for him.

Always has.

When folks criticized his accuracy at Wyoming, what they were really seeing is him reacting late and rushing throws, which sent them sailing/diving.

He's clearly made strides, as evidenced by his leading the league in comp % under 20 yards through 8 weeks...but he's got a ways to go yet.

As for his deep ball, he's got to stop trying so hard to be "touchy"; just rip it in there.

QBs develop in different ways. Some guys come into the league "ready" a la Dak and Andrew Luck. That's not Josh. Some guys have a base level and are a "light comes on" kind of guy like Goff or Brees, where they make a meteoric jump early on. That may be Josh, but my guy tells me no.

Then there's the guy that develops in "levels". He's got a lot to figure out, so it takes longer. He goes from super raw to survival, from survival to game management, from game management to competent, etc. Some of these guys (like Fitz or Tannehill) never get beyond a certain level. Some, like McNabb and Stafford, progress from competent to franchise QB.

We've seen that Allen can hit new levels. Some might say he's a game manager, others might call him competent, and folks like myself will say he's probably in the process of going from game manager to competent. 

What's truly exciting about Allen is what he will become if what we're seeing is the development, and if he does in fact have another 1 or two levels left to hit.

Great post and breakdown of the growth progression for JA. I agree he is somewhere in that transition between game manager and competent. He needs to make that next step where he can "play fearless" while avoiding the bad hero ball moments. Play loose and comfortable and keep making strides the rest of the season.

Next year should be when we expect to see that progression from competent to franchise. 

Oh, and get him a true dominant #1 WR too.

He's getting better  Its not going to be linear.  The stupid ints have dropped off.  So have the panic sacks and immediately fleeing the pocket.  He's had some bad luck on ball security and needs to cover the rock while in traffic.  Terrible on the deep ball but that will come.  McCoach got into his head to not put the defense into a bind with picks.  We desperately need a big physical playmaker on the outside to let Brown slide into the #2 role.  Daboll needs to use more play action and put that back into the flat to give Allen another safety valve. Why is Yeldon even on the team this is what he is known for ?  he should be catching a few dumps each game as should Singeltary   Lot of snaps he doesnt have time to come back to the read on the other side that you see open (kid is still getting hit too much on or just after his release)  O line needs to get better executing screens.  Some of that is on Allen, he needs to sell them better.  Daboll needs to spend majority of his time working in easier hot reads to beat the blitz  We shouldnt have to rely /force the qb and receiver to execute 20 yard fades and down field throws when we need 4 yards for a first down  Brady throws a pass to the flat or hits Edelman on a jerk route when they need 5 or less. 

2 hours ago, thebandit27 said:

Allen has work to do, let me get that out of the way first.

Now I'll move on to this: Knox, like pretty much every other skill position player on this team, makes absolutely no aggressive attempt for the football on 100% of his targets. Our guys simply let DBs beat them to the ball...a LOT.

Knoc has let it happen multiple times, Brown does it at least once or twice per game. McKenzie too.

They just wait for the ball. Attack it. Make a play. Help your QB. It won't fix everything, but it'll certainly make a difference on 2-3 key plays per game.

If you become an expert at hitting the pause button, you can show a handful of "this guy is wide open" plays for every QB every game.

Of course, you won't know the route combination, progression, or player keys that tell the QB where he "should" go with the ball, so it's kind of silly to over analyze.

This is the most significant difference with our receivers.  We don't have anyone that goes and gets the 50/50 balls. 

6 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

This is the most significant difference with our receivers.  We don't have anyone that goes and gets the 50/50 balls. 

We do, but he's slow and has been inactive for 2 weeks.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Tatonka68 said:

Bills 7th best blocking OL played against the 31st Cleveland run defense and ran 14 running plays. But it's not Daboll's fault?? This week Miami allows 146 yards a game and 4.6 a carry. So expect 47 pass attempts. 

“Obviously”

— Douglas Marrone 

2 minutes ago, Tatonka68 said:

Bills 7th best blocking OL played against the 31st Cleveland run defense and ran 14 running plays. But it's not Daboll's fault?? This week Miami allows 146 yards a game and 4.6 a carry. So expect 47 pass attempts. 

I’m thinking we should load up on carries for Gore. Singletary has shown to be very effective so work away from that strength.

• Haha (+1) 7

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/7-things-to-watch-for-in-bills-at-dolphins-week-11

1. WHAT DOES FEARLESS LOOK LIKE?

After losing two of their last three, head coach Sean McDermott has challenged his team to play fearlessly. That’s what quarterback Josh Allen told the media this week.

Veteran Center Mitch Morse says it’s not just the quarterback. He said McDermott is challenging the team to play more freely and instinctively.

“I think there is something to that,” Morse said this week. “We don’t need to change everything just because we lost one game, but I think we need to look at what gets us stuck in certain situations. When you think too much on the football field you don’t play as fast. And that doesn’t mean you don’t think, that means be confident in yourself. Be confident in the group of guys with you.  Maybe sometimes less is more when it comes to communication part. Go out and just play football.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/news/7-things-to-watch-for-in-bills-at-dolphins-week-11

1. WHAT DOES FEARLESS LOOK LIKE?

After losing two of their last three, head coach Sean McDermott has challenged his team to play fearlessly. That’s what quarterback Josh Allen told the media this week.

Veteran Center Mitch Morse says it’s not just the quarterback. He said McDermott is challenging the team to play more freely and instinctively.

“I think there is something to that,” Morse said this week. “We don’t need to change everything just because we lost one game, but I think we need to look at what gets us stuck in certain situations. When you think too much on the football field you don’t play as fast. And that doesn’t mean you don’t think, that means be confident in yourself. Be confident in the group of guys with you.  Maybe sometimes less is more when it comes to communication part. Go out and just play football.”

The Morse comments are interesting.  Could this be related to Daboll having an overly complex offense?  I can't shake that interview of John Brown I heard on Sirius earlier in the season where he commented that this was by far the most complicated offense he had ever played in.

• Like (+1) 3