Week 11: Bills at Dolphins - Spread: Bills -6.5

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

such a shame our offense isn't up to par. if we could score 20-25 ppg we would win 10-13 games and be a huge problem for teams in the playoffs. 

but this Bills team is shaping up to be no different than all the other Bills teams in the past. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

And now the national so called "experts" are mostly picking the Dolphins to win. JesusH, 4 weeks ago, they were saying that Miami could arguably be the worst team in the history of the NFL.

I dug up 4 links. there is more out there but I don't see anyone "mostly picking the dolphins"?

https://www.complex.com/sports/2019/11/nfl-week-11-winners-picks-predictions/bills-vs-dolphins

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/11/13/20961475/nfl-picks-2019-week-11-predictions-browns-steelers-jaguars-colts

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2862457-br-expert-consensus-nfl-picks-for-week-11#slide4

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001076738/article/nfl-week-11-game-picks-visiting-steelers-win-ugly-over-browns

quite the opposite actually.

On 11/13/2019 at 8:19 AM, eball said:

So if the Bills put up 30+ points on Sunday and win by double digits will all of the gloom and doom around here cease?  Or am I going to have to avoid this site like the plague for the remaining 7 weeks of the season?

It's pretty amazing to me how many fans are incapable of seeing a work-in-progress Bills squad that is likely to win 10 games and earn a playoff spot this season but WAS NEVER EXPECTED TO BE PERFECT this season.  There are unmistakable holes and they are far from a finished product.  My biggest concern, actually, is the bad game by Josh on Sunday, but if he bounces back I'll be satisfied.

Preach - it's like a bowl of goldfish that lose their memory from week to week.

In all fairness, I expected maybe 9-7 at best at the beginning of the season but had and still approach each week with a more 6-10 expectation. I don't think that will be our final record now by any means, but man has it been an enjoyable ride every week with that mindset. No one seems to be denying the obvious holes and issues, but they also seem to be entirely ignoring this critical context: Week 1 we returned three starters on offense: Josh Allen, Dion Dawkins, and Zay Jones (Foster notwithstanding). I'm sorry, but in your QB's second year, with an entirely new offense, how exactly was anyone expecting us to have the best starting record since 1993? It's fine to still be critical of a developing team in pointing out where they need to improve, but the underlying current has been one of progression and improvement if you focus on the overall trend and not week-to-week performances. it's like people not understanding that the weather and climate are two different things...

That said, the Browns loss was just plain dirty - but it's all a work in progress given that context.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

15 minutes ago, DaBillsFanSince1973 said:

I saw 2 out of the 3 I looked at pick the fins citing that teams were heading in different directions

10 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

Have not seen this posted yet but wow, just wow...Dimarco pointing to a wide open Knox?

View image on Twitter

Yep and Allen was half a second late in getting the ball to him.  That's how close we are to substantially elevating this pass game.  And I see no reason that with more experience Allen makes that throw on time.

But what the picture doesn't tell you unless you look real close is that Allen is probably already feeling the heat of the Brown's DE who has badly beaten our Tackle on an inside move (I believe that's Garret) so Allen must continue moving to avoid the sack.

And what the picture doesn't show you is that on the pass, which was a half second late, Knox doesn't take a step towards the ball which allows the DB to close the gap and bat the ball away.  Had Knox took a step forward, like a lot of pass savvy TE's would do, he either catches the ball by shielding it from the DB or the DB commits PI.

Finally, while I appreciate DeMarco's help in pointing out the guy breaking open WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING DOWNFIELD on the route.  How many times have we hit him with a pass 15 yards field in the middle of the field?  Wouldn't he have been more useful helping our tackle block Garret on that play?  Just saying.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 hours ago, SCBills said:

I'm excited to see what "playing fearless" means..

I really like McDermott but am starting to agree that the coaches have game managed themselves into Allen's head, which is perhaps why we aren't seeing the big plays we saw he's capable of last year. 

Are these just "words" from the coaching staff or do they translate into actions on the field for the rest of the season?

The point of the offense is to score points.  Obviously the goal is for Allen to combine efficiency and ball protection with big plays, but I'll gladly take 28+ points by the offense and 2 turnovers if he's not there yet.  I'll take that, every day, over 17 points and a clean slate. 

Let's see more Singletary, less Gore (i'd rather Yeldon over Gore tbh) and more deep shots.... just keep throwing them until he hits them.  More intermediate shots.  I don't necessarily want him running a ton outside of the goal line, but let's get him in some PA roll outs, and focus more on chunk plays and less on methodical offense, because clearly we can't get out of our way enough to have a ton of 12 play drives (and that's ok because most teams can't).

.....how do you tell personnel to "play fearless" when you coach "fearful"?....like your offensive approach, but it will fall on deft ears with Dabumble.....SMH....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Every week guys seem to be wide open all game long. Allen is just a sprinkler out there. He makes some really exciting plays and he can really run, but he misses a lot of throws. It’s just who he is as a passer. Allen makes a lot of big time plays and I like him...but he misses a lot of the throws that good QBs make.

11 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every week guys seem to be wide open all game long. Allen is just a sprinkler out there. He makes some really exciting plays and he can really run, but he misses a lot of throws. It’s just who he is as a passer. Allen makes a lot of big time plays and I like him...but he misses a lot of the throws that good QBs make.

curious.  Homework assignment 

How many pass plays across the league have players wide open and are not thrown at? 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Yep and Allen was half a second late in getting the ball to him.  That's how close we are to substantially elevating this pass game.  And I see no reason that with more experience Allen makes that throw on time.

But what the picture doesn't tell you unless you look real close is that Allen is probably already feeling the heat of the Brown's DE who has badly beaten our Tackle on an inside move (I believe that's Garret) so Allen must continue moving to avoid the sack.

And what the picture doesn't show you is that on the pass, which was a half second late, Knox doesn't take a step towards the ball which allows the DB to close the gap and bat the ball away.  Had Knox took a step forward, like a lot of pass savvy TE's would do, he either catches the ball by shielding it from the DB or the DB commits PI.

Finally, while I appreciate DeMarco's help in pointing out the guy breaking open WHAT THE HELL IS HE DOING DOWNFIELD on the route.  How many times have we hit him with a pass 15 yards field in the middle of the field?  Wouldn't he have been more useful helping our tackle block Garret on that play?  Just saying.

Allen has work to do, let me get that out of the way first.

Now I'll move on to this: Knox, like pretty much every other skill position player on this team, makes absolutely no aggressive attempt for the football on 100% of his targets. Our guys simply let DBs beat them to the ball...a LOT.

Knoc has let it happen multiple times, Brown does it at least once or twice per game. McKenzie too.

They just wait for the ball. Attack it. Make a play. Help your QB. It won't fix everything, but it'll certainly make a difference on 2-3 key plays per game.

33 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

curious.  Homework assignment 

How many pass plays across the league have players wide open and are not thrown at? 

If you become an expert at hitting the pause button, you can show a handful of "this guy is wide open" plays for every QB every game.

Of course, you won't know the route combination, progression, or player keys that tell the QB where he "should" go with the ball, so it's kind of silly to over analyze.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

f you become an expert at hitting the pause button, you can show a handful of "this guy is wide open" plays for every QB every game.

Of course, you won't know the route combination, progression, or player keys that tell the QB where he "should" go with the ball, so it's kind of silly to over analyze.

well said (as usual - don’t get a big head ?

my wife is always yelling at me for my use of the pause and rewind buttons.  

12 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Agreed. Just really hoping he develops into the QB who hits those throws that good QBs make. He is still in his second year (and not even really that...has had less than a season and a half as a starter) as a RAW prospect coming out of a nothing college program. Gonna take time, IF it happens at all...he gets through next season before I will reach a conclusion as to if he is "the guy" or not. 

14 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

Agreed. Just really hoping he develops into the QB who hits those throws that good QBs make. He is still in his second year (and not even really that...has had less than a season and a half as a starter) as a RAW prospect coming out of a nothing college program. Gonna take time, IF it happens at all...he gets through next season before I will reach a conclusion as to if he is "the guy" or not. 

Everything with Allen comes down to the game slowing down for him.

Always has.

When folks criticized his accuracy at Wyoming, what they were really seeing is him reacting late and rushing throws, which sent them sailing/diving.

He's clearly made strides, as evidenced by his leading the league in comp % under 20 yards through 8 weeks...but he's got a ways to go yet.

As for his deep ball, he's got to stop trying so hard to be "touchy"; just rip it in there.

QBs develop in different ways. Some guys come into the league "ready" a la Dak and Andrew Luck. That's not Josh. Some guys have a base level and are a "light comes on" kind of guy like Goff or Brees, where they make a meteoric jump early on. That may be Josh, but my guy tells me no.

Then there's the guy that develops in "levels". He's got a lot to figure out, so it takes longer. He goes from super raw to survival, from survival to game management, from game management to competent, etc. Some of these guys (like Fitz or Tannehill) never get beyond a certain level. Some, like McNabb and Stafford, progress from competent to franchise QB.

We've seen that Allen can hit new levels. Some might say he's a game manager, others might call him competent, and folks like myself will say he's probably in the process of going from game manager to competent. 

What's truly exciting about Allen is what he will become if what we're seeing is the development, and if he does in fact have another 1 or two levels left to hit.

Edited by thebandit27
  • Like (+1) 4