Week 11: Bills at Dolphins - Spread: Bills -6.5

9 minutes ago, buffalonian said:

I agree that this a very important game, but I’m going to wait on passing that kind of judgment on the coaches until the season is over.  If we lose to Miami but beat Dallas and Baltimore and make the playoffs, the Miami loss is irrelevant and the season will be considered a success. 

How rational of you. 

Do you really see this team LOSING to Miami and then beating Dallas/Baltimore? 

Crazier things have happened, but I would be shocked. Those teams are well suited to play against the Bills weaknesses. 

• Like (+1) 2

On 11/14/2019 at 5:42 PM, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

.....how do you tell personnel to "play fearless" when you coach "fearful"?....like your offensive approach, but it will fall on deft ears with Dabumble.....SMH....

Maybe that was McD's way of telling Daboll to take the gloves off, without offending his [Daboll's] fragile sensibilities. ? 

If Daboll does not get the hint, perhaps McD's gloves might come off...

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, cd1 said:

Maybe that was McD's way of telling Daboll to take the gloves off, without offending his [Daboll's] fragile sensibilities. ? 

If Daboll does not get the hint, perhaps McD's gloves might come off...

Having finally rewatched the Browns game, this take doesn't match what I saw at all.

-there were plays that resulted in a reasonably open receiver/TE and a ball delivered not perfectly, but catchable.  They did not result in a completion, either because it was beyond the abilities of the receiver, because of uncalled DPI, or because of good defense.  I saw about 7 of these, 4 in the first half.  It is possible that these are affected by Josh trying too hard to avoid an INT and putting the ball where only the WR can get it, a bit too cautious for the WR to make the grab - not sure.  It is also possible that the WR/TE didn't quite run the route as Josh expected.  No way we can tell.  But they were aggressive play calls, and aggressive throws by Josh, and he completed them at times.  Anyone who thinks Tyrod Taylor tries throws like that needs to go back and watch TT games.  The Browns have a good, aggressive secondary and they schemed us well.  Give them some credit.

-there were times when we needed  3-4 yards to move the chains, and the plays dialed up were far more aggressive and lower probability than they could have been- Daboll (or Josh, if he audibled, but he audibles within the structure Daboll gives him) was "going for the Gusto" instead of taking what the D gave him.  And these are fundamentally a difference in the game - the difference between a fresh set of downs vs. TOD/punting

-the Browns were not stacking the box all day and we left rush yards on the table, especially in the 1st half

-Josh had 2 plays we were lucky weren't picked.  The worst was a pass intended for Knox (I think) on a scramble drill, but Beasley took it for his and got a hand on it, deflecting it up. Hopefully they got that one worked out.  

-Josh still has the tendency to roll right under pressure and heave it downfield, he did this at least 2x.  At least one actually looked like a designed option.

-Garrett is an "edgy" player.  He got away with stuff like driving Josh into the ground more than 2-3 steps after Josh threw the ball.  He flung a leg out and tried to trip Josh on an OOB run once (think that was him).  Totally extra

Anyway, my $0.02 is that Daboll does some good stuff, but at times he gets impatient and dials up a "big shot" instead of going for a higher probability dink and dunk that would move the chains.  He's trying to take what the D is giving him, but going for the big play when he needs the high-probability play.  I think he needs some "sanity checking" and hopefully he gets it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The way I have seen it is that Daboll does "take chances" but it "seems" that his play calling involves attempts at "trickery".  Calling a play that would be least expected; calling a long pass on 3rd and one (ex.) 

Passing plays time and again instead of, the expected, hand off to Singletary to run it down their throats.  If we are gaining yards on running why switch to passing and abandon the run?

THAT is what make me question Daboll.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

How rational of you. 

Do you really see this team LOSING to Miami and then beating Dallas/Baltimore? 

Crazier things have happened, but I would be shocked. Those teams are well suited to play against the Bills weaknesses. 

Thanks for acknowledging that it is rational to judge a team over the course of a season rather than one game.  If we score on 3rd and goal against NE in the 4th quarter, everyone is thinking we are one of the best teams in the league. That would be clearly inaccurate given our performance in the subsequent games. But there is half the season left at this point, and I think it would be silly to want to fire or “put a stake” through McDermott if they lose today.   I agree with you that this would be a deveststing loss, and we would certainly be underdogs against Dallas and Baltimore, but I’m willing to at least let the rest of the season play out before reaching a final judgment on McDermott. 

Edited by buffalonian

3 hours ago, cd1 said:

The way I have seen it is that Daboll does "take chances" but it "seems" that his play calling involves attempts at "trickery".  Calling a play that would be least expected; calling a long pass on 3rd and one (ex.) 

Passing plays time and again instead of, the expected, hand off to Singletary to run it down their throats.  If we are gaining yards on running why switch to passing and abandon the run?

THAT is what make me question Daboll.

...strictly opinion and respect those that differ, but i have zero confidence in his OC ability......he's been a one stop wonder for reason(s)......could give a rat's azz if he's from the Belichick tree.....perhaps it as well as being Saban's boy swelled his hat size.....shades of Fairchild, Hackett & Dennison.....Moe, Larry & Curly.....

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

On 11/12/2019 at 9:09 PM, ScottLaw said:

So a win by 8 is “crushing” the Dolphins? ?

Sounds like you aren’t too sure either Teddy, but l’ll accept the bet. I don’t have an avatar so I’d love to lose this bet and get one. ??

Wheres it at ?      Google images “Justin Bieber”.      

On 11/16/2019 at 8:22 AM, Locomark said:

We forget he played for WYOMING. He didn’t play for Alabama or Ohio State. He probably is 1 or 2 years behind in his pro development because of it. We won’t know what we have until the end of the 2020 season. I know that sucks but that’s reality.

It’s why I have been pushing for AJ Green, if healthy, or some major move for a WR1 because Brown is a WR2. We can still draft a WR also but we need that WR1 next year. It won’t fix Josh but it will improve his confidence and give him a true pro offense. 

I dont forget that at all. My post wasn't negative. It was realizing the reality. He is a project QB with a ton of arm talent. Have to give him time to develop. 

Brown aint a WR2....hes on pace to come close or surpass Andre Reeds best numbers here for a single season. Your smoking some good stuff. 

Does Brown LOOK like a WR 1? Not necessarily. Does he go get contested balls like SOME WR 1's? No. But he gets open consistently and catches balls...period. Can't believe people are still in that camp. 

Yes I agree we could use another WR 1 or an actual WR 2 (Beasley is slot). Josh has weapons, and its helping his development. Could surely use another though, on that I do agree. 

Edited by PaattMaann