Louie Dibiase: 2019 Bills Look Like 2011 Denver Broncos

Nextmanup

Not a bad read. 

Draws comparisons between us and the 2011 Broncos.

"However, the same core issue is there. If the Bills want to be more than the one-hit wonders of the Tebow-led Broncos, or the 2017 drought-ending Bills, the blueprint to win has to change."

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/bills-look-just-certain-2011-playoff-team

Edited by Nextmanup

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

He needs to do a better job proof reading his articles for grammatical errors before publishing

It's GR-55.  I don't expect much in that regard but the core message of the piece is spot on.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Not a bad read. 

"However, the same core issue is there. If the Bills want to be more than the one-hit wonders of the Tebow-led Broncos, or the 2017 drought-ending Bills, the blueprint to win has to change."

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/opinion/bills-look-just-certain-2011-playoff-team

Not a bad read because it relays your persistent Allen stinks message ?  

What was the good read part ? 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Not a bad read. 

This is really approaching crusading level next

3 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

He needs to do a better job proof reading his articles for grammatical errors before publishing

The part that bothers me is the factual error "committing a costly turnover (fumbled in the red zone)"

A turnover by definition is where you turn the ball over to the other team. 

If you fumble but retain possession (and score couple plays later) that is not a turnover.  It's a fumble

I guess by his definition the Browns had a costly turnover (muffed punt) even though they retained possession?  NOT.

22 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Classic case of you don’t want to hear the truth so you find something to criticize.  I get it 

I think you're shooting at the wrong target here.  @Seven-N-Nine is a quite vocal critic of the Bills currently

I also think you might want to revisit that "truth" thing.  The 2011 Broncos had a "meh" defense, 25th on points to go with the 24th on points offense.

They had the #1 rushing game in the league, and were racking up 165 rush ypg on average.

They had the #32 passing game in the league, and Tebow managed an average of 124 ypg with an average 46.6% completion rate

So no, it's really not a good comparison, even for people who are very critical of Josh Allen.  Cheap shot.

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Classic case of you don’t want to hear the truth so you find something to criticize.  I get it 

I can't even remember the 2011 Broncos, so I don't know much about the truth in the article.  I just thought the grammar sucked.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The part that bothers me is the factual error "committing a costly turnover (fumbled in the red zone)"

If you fumble but retain possession (and score couple plays later) that is not a turnover.  It's a fumble

I guess by his definition the Browns had a costly turnover (muffed punt) even though they retained possession?  NOT.

Ah yes, I didn't catch that, but so true.  Either he wants to make things seem more dire or he lacks attention to detail.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine

4 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I can't even remember the 2011 Broncos, so I don't know much about the truth in the article.  I just thought the grammar sucked.

I kind of remember, but I took 2 minutes and a gander at pro-football-reference to sort it out, and came away with what I wrote. 

Is it too much to ask someone who gets paid to write to do likewise before he sets pen to paper?

4 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Ah yes, I didn't catch that, but so true.  Either he wants to make things seem more dire or he lacks attention to detail.

The whole thing lacked attention to detail.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

Not a bad read. 

https://wgr550.r

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think you're shooting at the wrong target here.  @Seven-N-Nine is a quite vocal critic of the Bills currently

I also think you might want to revisit that "truth" thing.  The 2011 Broncos had a "meh" defense, 25th on points to go with the 24th on points offense.

They had the #1 rushing game in the league, and were racking up 165 rush ypg on average.

They had the #32 passing game in the league, and Tebow managed an average of 124 ypg with an average 46.6% completion rate

So no, it's really not a good comparison, even for people who are very critical of Josh Allen.  Cheap shot.

adio.com/articles/opinion/bills-look-just-certain-2011-playoff-team

I think the comparison to the 2011 is off base.  While I don’t think that Allen has been good enough this season at times and that he has held back the offense, he is much better than Tebow.  

Almost all of Tebow’s offense came from his legs.  He was averaging around 100 yards passing per game.  They also were not scoring TD’s and kicked a lot of FG’s Also, unlike the Bills Denver had a kicker in Matt Prater who was kicking super clutch FG’s from 60 yards.  Allen has generated a lot more offense and at times, he has put together some very nice scoring drives.  Also Allen has done a pretty good job in the redzone.  He has not been consistent and has disappeared in stretches nearly every game this year, which has been a huge issue.  

Joe does make a good point about Allen holding back the offense though.  He’s not wrong here:

Against a team of that caliber, a win required a strong 60-minute showing from every phases of the team. To expect a win against top talent, with no consistency in the passing game is a pipe dream. 

This is what I’ve been hammering on for a while.  Unless the Bills get better QB play from Josh Allen, they won’t be able to consistently beat stronger teams in the NFL.   Anytime you make this point, people claim you have a “vendetta” against Allen - but it’s a fact.  Josh Allen simply needs to be better if the Bills are going to make the playoffs this year 

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is what I’ve been hammering on for a while.  Unless the Bills get better QB play from Josh Allen, they won’t be able to consistently beat stronger teams in the NFL.   Anytime you make this point, people claim you have a “vendetta” against Allen - but it’s a fact.  Josh Allen simply needs to be better if the Bills are going to make the playoffs this year

I don't think anyone disagrees on the "better QB play from Allen" thing.  Especially we need more points!  The league average PPG is 22.6.

The disagreement, as I see it, is in how much the playcalling, lack of consistent run game, and lack of a star offensive skill player are impacting the delivery of "better QB play"

YMMV.

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think anyone disagrees on the "better QB play from Allen" thing.  Especially we need more points!  The league average PPG is 22.6.

The disagreement, as I see it, is in how much the playcalling, lack of consistent run game, and lack of a star offensive skill player are impacting the delivery of "better QB play"

YMMV.

How much of the playcalling, the failure to score points, and the absence of a playmaker  is a result of the limitations of the QB?  It’s the chicken-egg theory.  We’ll never know but we all have our opinions and mine rests on the fact that I think QB is the more pressing issue

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I think the comparison to the 2011 is off base.  While I don’t think that Allen has been good enough this season at times and that he has held back the offense, he is much better than Tebow.  

Almost all of Tebow’s offense came from his legs.  He was averaging around 100 yards passing per game.  They also were not scoring TD’s and kicked a lot of FG’s Also, unlike the Bills Denver had a kicker in Matt Prater who was kicking super clutch FG’s from 60 yards.  Allen has generated a lot more offense and at times, he has put together some very nice scoring drives.  Also Allen has done a pretty good job in the redzone.  He has not been consistent and has disappeared in stretches nearly every game this year, which has been a huge issue.  

Joe does make a good point about Allen holding back the offense though.  He’s not wrong here:

Against a team of that caliber, a win required a strong 60-minute showing from every phases of the team. To expect a win against top talent, with no consistency in the passing game is a pipe dream. 

It's also why I have been saying for a long time that even if we make the playoffs, it won't matter much as this is what a one and done playoff team looks like.  We aren't nearly good enough to have expectations greater than that, and of course the QB is at the heart of it.

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

This is really approaching crusading level next

You mean your defense of Allen?

It was at crusade level a long time ago.

This board is mostly populated with Crusaders who view Allen as their Savior.

That's all going to change, probably by the time this season ends.