The Bills lack star power

Figster

23 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

yes.  not saying the browns are a good team but they won the game and chubb's running and landry's catching were why.  obj even though didn't catch much still took our best defensive player out of the game by having to cover him leaving landry to abuse wallace.

My point is the Browns are a poor example of a team's star power winning games. They needed the Bills to eff up at every level to eek out a win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, billsfan714 said:

How often have you seen one of our WRs or TEs make contested catches or the QB even giving them that opportunity.   

Yep.  Likewise, when was the last time one of our WRs made a catch, slipped a tackle, and ripped off another 40 yards?  None of our receivers except for Knox seems capable of breaking a tackle.  

Or consider the long ball to McKenzie that Allen overthrew.  For as open as McKenzie was, he was still a "small" target.  Allen had to put that pass in pretty tiny area for McKenzie to catch it.  It seems like every week I see a QB underthrow a ball to a big, physical receiver who comes back to it and either pulls it in or draws PI.  We have zero players who can do that.

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Yep.  Likewise, when was the last time one of our WRs made a catch, slipped a tackle, and ripped off another 40 yards?  None of our receivers except for Knox seems capable of breaking a tackle.  

Or consider the long ball to McKenzie that Allen overthrew.  For as open as McKenzie was, he was still a "small" target.  Allen had to put that pass in pretty tiny area for McKenzie to catch it.  It seems like every week I see a QB underthrow a ball to a big, physical receiver who comes back to it and either pulls it in or draws PI.  We have zero players who can do that.

A lot of Allen's throws lack the timing that makes YAC possible. Beasley seems to do ok, but it's very Tyrod like in how it's a completion, but without the possibility of more.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Figster said:

As an earlier poster posted the draft is a crap shoot especially at the WR position. James Lofton was added to the Superbowl team of the 90's with good success despite being late in his career.

Thanks for the reply PTR 

Why do you think Buffalo and Baltimore lost to Cleveland?

Why has Cleveland lost 7 of 10 then? Lol.

Denver has more talent?  

LOLOLOLOL

4 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I don't see how, the player is hardly ever available.

Thank you for pointing that out.  It has been pointed out before, but people seem to forget about Sammy's lack of availability.

8 hours ago, Figster said:

When Bill Polian built the team of the 90's that went to 4 straight Superbowls elite players were sprinkled into the Bills lineup for good reason. Names like Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed. When the Buffalo Bills are brought up in discussion in todays day and age the team that lost 4 straight Superbowls is still the identity we carry. Do you ever wonder why that is. It because since that time Buffalo has lacked enough star players at one time to change the perception, or to accomplish great things. Aside from Josh Allen and until he accomplishes something elite does not fit the Bill. Who does Buffalo have to go with Allen by way of elite?. Answer, nobody. I mean we can say the Buffalo Bills have a team full of good character players that train and play hard, but no greats. The kind of great players needed to form an identity. The kind of elite players needed to accomplish great things IMO.

Don't get me wrong I think McD is a good HC.  I also think Josh Allen has star potential. I think the star potential will come given some star players around him. Something Buffalo simply does not have at this point in my humble opinion.

Forgive my thread starting skills. Its been awhile and I'm a little rusty.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? 

I would say that your post is part true but there is a lot more than just star talent that is needed ! If you look at yesterdays opponent they are loaded with "Star Names" OBJ , Landry, Mayfield, Chub, & yet they are 3 & 6 so just name alone doesn't do much ! Plus i think that the prima donna factor has something to do with them .

It is more the player matching the scheme along with the coaches too all things have to be aligned to make a team great the bickering Bills didn't do much until Marv aligned them to be great with the rest of his coaching staff .

To make a point the Pats do it every year for the past almost 20 yrs with no name players pretty much & then they will get rid of the big name talent when the coach thinks they are almost out of gas or in need of a huge contract & bring in players that fit the scheme & can be coached .

Until they find that chemistry here which i believe McD is on the path i don't think this team will be close to those of the Bills past !! 

8 hours ago, Figster said:

When Bill Polian built the team of the 90's that went to 4 straight Superbowls elite players were sprinkled into the Bills lineup for good reason. Names like Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed. When the Buffalo Bills are brought up in discussion in todays day and age the team that lost 4 straight Superbowls is still the identity we carry. Do you ever wonder why that is. It because since that time Buffalo has lacked enough star players at one time to change the perception, or to accomplish great things. Aside from Josh Allen and until he accomplishes something elite does not fit the Bill. Who does Buffalo have to go with Allen by way of elite?. Answer, nobody. I mean we can say the Buffalo Bills have a team full of good character players that train and play hard, but no greats. The kind of great players needed to form an identity. The kind of elite players needed to accomplish great things IMO.

Don't get me wrong I think McD is a good HC.  I also think Josh Allen has star potential. I think the star potential will come given some star players around him. Something Buffalo simply does not have at this point in my humble opinion.

You lost me at the bold highlighted.

I don't buy star power is the largest problem.  I think the team lacks an offensive and defensive game plan that makes sense for who the players are, is robust when all doesn't go exactly to plan, and play calls are competently made.  McD and staff are the largest problem.

2 hours ago, Figster said:

and why is B B willing to bring in Gordon or A B.

Elite talent, thats why. ( fill the hole from Gronks departure) 

Brady is the elite talent on O. That's it. He makes Hogan & whoever look really good.

No RB's really ever. Yeah he had Moss for a second but they lost. 

Culture over there over talent. 

Cleveland is 3-6 & you wanna crown 'em!

Lolololol

Edited by r00tabaga

1 hour ago, dneveu said:

The last play of the game they crowded the LOS with 9 guys in a pretty clear cover 0 look.  Really smart when you think about it though - clocks running, no time to adjust anything like protections or try and hard count to slow rush/identify rusher.  You know they're blitzing but with your bunch on the left you have to assume its coming right and people will drop into coverage in the passing lanes.  

Quick check to a deep throw to JB and it falls incomplete, but i honestly kind of blame JB.  Its where it needs to be, he is not.  2 seconds was about as long as he had to get that ball up in the air - its at the sidelines and catchable.. he just didn't get there or have his head turned around quickly enough.

Yep.  Another example of why you can't point to a single issue that is plaguing this offense.

Bills fans will always notice the questionable playcalling by Brian Daboll, the missed block by Dion Dawkins, the penalty by Lee Smith, the dropped pass by Dawson Knox, or the fumble by Josh Allen.  But they don't usually notice the miscommunication with WRs.  And unfortunately, these kinds of plays are also happening a lot this year - especially with John Brown.

There was a miscommunication in the Eagles game, which led to Josh Allen throwing behind Brown.  If they hookup on that play, it's probably a touchdown and that game looks completely different.

1 hour ago, BillsFanSD said:

The offense badly needs a WR who make himself a big target, fight for ball, and break tackles.  Most of our offensive problems would go away overnight with that player lined up opposite Brown.

WRs can't throw the ball to themselves!  

Have a look at the QB position on our team and see if you find any problems there.

We do, but we’re not far away.   I know there’s a loud group that won’t accept the fact we need another offseason to be a contender, but this team has the ability to return the same team PLUS a top tier edge rusher, top tier wide receiver and top tier rotational running back next year, while also upgrading OL/DT/DB2 if they so choose.  

3 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

Yep.  Another example of why you can't point to a single issue that is plaguing this offense.

Bills fans will always notice the questionable playcalling by Brian Daboll, the missed block by Dion Dawkins, the penalty by Lee Smith, the dropped pass by Dawson Knox, or the fumble by Josh Allen.  But they don't usually notice the miscommunication with WRs.  And unfortunately, these kinds of plays are also happening a lot this year - especially with John Brown.

There was a miscommunication in the Eagles game, which led to Josh Allen throwing behind Brown.  If they hookup on that play, it's probably a touchdown and that game looks completely different.

Yep - take that last play.  I know if NE is there last year... the defense gives you that same look that ball is going to the guy in JB's spot - the difference?  That guy is Rob Gronkowski and brady looks like a genius for throwing it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  It has been pointed out before, but people seem to forget about Sammy's lack of availability.

The funny thing is that the same people who, for example, are supporting Josh Allen now, were supporting Sammy when he was a Bill, and urging us that his foot injury in pre-season would be nothing of consequence! 

Remember all that?  True story.

10 hours ago, Figster said:

I think that the additional of a star WR and offensive lineman would perk up the offense. We need to hit on our high draft picks to get stars 

• Like (+1) 1

For the record of the four you mention, only Thurman Thomas was drafted when Polian was the GM.  He wasn't even here when Kelly was drafted, and was like the assistant GM or something when Reed and Smith were drafted.  Who knows how much input he did or didn't have into drafting  them two.  Al Gore hadn't yet invented the internet, so we'll never know.

9 hours ago, ColeB said:

That’s why I didn’t like it when they got rid of a bunch of our better players for basically nothing in return: Sammy Watkins, Darby, Dareus. Plus they let Gilmore leave and now he’s an AllPro.   I understand they were in salary cap trouble but good talent shouldn’t be given away when you don’t have replacements for them.  The draft is a crapshoot and they overspent on some shaky-health players.

Star Lotulelei should not be the highest paid player  on the team.

Other than Gilmore, it's a stretch calling the other three stars!

• Thank you (+1) 1

I just posted the Rockpile Review and said the same thing.  If the Bills have a Beckham, a Landry, a Chubb and a Hunt, the Bills win.  Those guys put a lot of pressure on the defense. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I just posted the Rockpile Review and said the same thing.  If the Bills have a Beckham, a Landry, a Chubb and a Hunt, the Bills win.  Those guys put a lot of pressure on the defense. 

You know what they say, great minds think alike.

Thanks for the reply Shaw, much appreciated.

45 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

The modern NFL is all about offensive scheming and QB play. Right now, our OC is terrible, and our QB is erratic. That’s not how you win games. Star power isn’t the issue. That’s the issue. 

The scheme is poor, but the Bills skill position players are sub par. Brown and Beasley are all they have. The rest of their guys aren’t stars on any NFL team. 

• Like (+1) 2