The Bills lack star power

Figster

That’s why it was painful watching Buffalo not pick up Josh Gordon, the potential was still there.  Buffalo has built the core, now they need to add the playmaking talent

and no way on 3rd and 3 should Allen throw a deep passing into double coverage to the slowest and shortest player in the game.  It wasn’t even close.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Figster said:

When Bill Polian built the team of the 90's that went to 4 straight Superbowls elite players were sprinkled into the Bills lineup for good reason. Names like Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed. When the Buffalo Bills are brought up in discussion in todays day and age the team that lost 4 straight Superbowls is still the identity we carry. Do you ever wonder why that is. It because since that time Buffalo has lacked enough star players at one time to change the perception, or to accomplish great things. Aside from Josh Allen and until he accomplishes something elite does not fit the Bill. Who does Buffalo have to go with Allen by way of elite?. Answer, nobody. I mean we can say the Buffalo Bills have a team full of good character players that train and play hard, but no greats. The kind of great players needed to form an identity. The kind of elite players needed to accomplish great things IMO.

Don't get me wrong I think McD is a good HC.  I also think Josh Allen has star potential. I think the star potential will come given some star players around him. Something Buffalo simply does not have at this point in my humble opinion.

Forgive my thread starting skills. Its been awhile and I'm a little rusty.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? 

I really do agree, but this team does have talent at key positions. what this team really needs is an offensive line because far too often, this team's really good QB, and talented running backs had nowhere to go, or where running for their lives.

• Thank you (+1) 1

In my opinion, it's not an issue of lacking enough star-power or lacking an offensive identity (which someone else mentioned).

Every NFL player has talent.  They key is knowing how to utilize the talent on your roster.

There is a guy on this roster averaging 6.4 yards per rushing attempt, and proven to be explosive on screens/swing passes.  Our #1 goal right now should be dedicated towards getting the ball in Devon Singletary's hands.  But our offensive coordinator is extremely reluctant to run the ball, and treats him like a sub-package player.  There is no more effort to get Singletary the ball than our effort to get Isaiah McKenzie involved. 

When we reach key situations (3rd/4th Down), we should have Josh Allen looking to his main targets first.  This is where Daboll should be scheming ways for John Brown and Cole Beasley to get single coverage.  The main reason we brought in Beasley was for his ability to get open in short-yardage situations.  Yet on 3rd-4 or 3rd-3, we are not utilizing him to move the chains.  Every other OC in the league finds ways to get his slot receiver matched up against a linebacker for the easy completion.  Instead, we are taking deep shots down the field (which we struggle with).  Or we are targeting guys like Dawson Knox, who struggles with drops.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why do they give Singletary so few touches?  If it's because he can only contribute in spurts, we may need a better RB as well.  Last week he looked primed to become an all-purpose back who would really contribute.

188 yds from Henry was a key factor in the Titans win over KC.  19 passes for 181 yds from Tannehill to 23 rushes from Henry. 

Cousins passed 32 times for 220 yards in the win over Dallas, but 149 yards on 34 rushes and a TD from 2 backs was obviously also key.

Do we have a guy who can get that done day in, day out, or don't we?  Browns were not stacking the box on every pass play, and if you got guys who don't execute and a bit of misdirection, you can run on a stacked box.

We spread the field quite a bit and seemed to want to pass on first down for a lot of the game.  Offense is just constantly hurting themselves.  Penalties, Missed throws, drops. Everyone is making mistakes here or there.  9 new starters on O, but they are taking a long time to gel and its becoming more and more of a problem.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Homey D. Clown said:

I really do agree, but this team does have talent at key positions. what this team really needs is an offensive line because far too often, this team's really good QB, and talented running backs had nowhere to go, or where running for their lives.

The Bills are one-dimensional, which makes things extremely difficult for an offensive line.

Josh Allen can't hit a deep pass to save his life.  And we seem to have poor communication between QB-WR on hot routes.  Which is allowing defenses to play lots of Cover 1 and Cover 0 looks.  That means lots of guys in the box, and lots of blitzing.

The O-Line seems to be doing a good job opening lanes in the running game, but Daboll doesn't seem to believe in that part of the offense.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The problem isn't a lack of star power. Besides, you draft and develop your stars. You rarely get them in trades or free agency.

As an earlier poster posted the draft is a crap shoot especially at the WR position. James Lofton was added to the Superbowl team of the 90's with good success despite being late in his career.

Thanks for the reply PTR 

1 hour ago, r00tabaga said:

I believe you are wrong, ....again, and the Patriot Way is proof of that.

Why do you think Buffalo and Baltimore lost to Cleveland?

Agree got to have more star talent.  Yesterday was a perfect example -The browns have 3 premier/very good  talents on offense  - obj, landry and chubb.   obj was taken out by white,  but landry and chub had huge games.  The bills have a very good wr in brown -not premier and singletary , who may be very good  but too early to tell, and  does not seem to be used enough.   

Have to have at least one star player on offense to get to the next level, don't care if he is not a perfect culture fit.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, ColeB said:

That’s why I didn’t like it when they got rid of a bunch of our better players for basically nothing in return: Sammy Watkins, Darby, Dareus. Plus they let Gilmore leave and now he’s an AllPro.   I understand they were in salary cap trouble but good talent shouldn’t be given away when you don’t have replacements for them.  The draft is a crapshoot and they overspent on some shaky-health players.

Star Lotulelei should not be the highest paid player  on the team.

To be fair, he was merely a shell of his current self when he played on a team that gets called for PI. He played super soft and gave up a lot, plus Darby looked very good. Darby and White would be much better than what we have. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Been saying this for years......team lacks play makers.   Its what separates good teams from mediocre teams.   Think the Stevie drop against Pitts, the onsides Monday night meltdown against Dallas, McKelvin, Chandler drop in Toronto, small ball aerial attack with Tyrod, and you can go on and on.  Its anti-clutch and anti-player maker.   You watched the games and just waited for it to happen and you knew it was coming.    How often have you seen one of our WRs or TEs make contested catches or the QB even giving them that opportunity.    Brown and Beasley are 2s and 3s but nowhere near no.1 receivers.   The TEs you have penalty machine Smith, absolute 7 million nothing burger in Eifert, Dawson just OK, and Sweeney.    The D is good but has no rush(sacks) and doesnt generate turnovers.

Polian was a great GM, his record speaks for itself.  Lucky,? McD could of had Mahommes fall in his lap traded out,   Beane passed on LJ----hows that working out people who were saying just dont draft Lamar Jackson.  Dude looks like a play maker to me.  Let me know how confident you are that Josh will out duel him at home?  How much did we give up for Allen and Edmunds?

The SB teams had play makers, until you get them you're just treading water. 

Edited by billsfan714
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, die hard bills fan said:

Agree got to have more star talent.  Yesterday was a perfect example -The browns have 3 premier/very good  talents on offense  - obj, landry and chubb.   obj was taken out by white,  but landry and chub had huge games.  The bills have a very good wr in brown -not premier and singletary , who may be very good  but too early to tell, and  does not seem to be used enough.   

Have to have at least one star player on offense to get to the next level, don't care if he is not a perfect culture fit.  

So you think Cleveland's star power won them the game? A dominating 19-point perfomance that went 0-9 from the 1yd line? The Browns are still the Browns. Unfortunately the Bills are regressing 

47 minutes ago, mjt328 said:

In my opinion, it's not an issue of lacking enough star-power or lacking an offensive identity (which someone else mentioned).

Every NFL player has talent.  They key is knowing how to utilize the talent on your roster.

There is a guy on this roster averaging 6.4 yards per rushing attempt, and proven to be explosive on screens/swing passes.  Our #1 goal right now should be dedicated towards getting the ball in Devon Singletary's hands.  But our offensive coordinator is extremely reluctant to run the ball, and treats him like a sub-package player.  There is no more effort to get Singletary the ball than our effort to get Isaiah McKenzie involved. 

When we reach key situations (3rd/4th Down), we should have Josh Allen looking to his main targets first.  This is where Daboll should be scheming ways for John Brown and Cole Beasley to get single coverage.  The main reason we brought in Beasley was for his ability to get open in short-yardage situations.  Yet on 3rd-4 or 3rd-3, we are not utilizing him to move the chains.  Every other OC in the league finds ways to get his slot receiver matched up against a linebacker for the easy completion.  Instead, we are taking deep shots down the field (which we struggle with).  Or we are targeting guys like Dawson Knox, who struggles with drops.

That's because our OC seems to be trying to scheme his way into an HC opening, and throwing screen passes won't impress the rest of the league.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, CountDorkula said:

Um, Ever heard of Tom Brady? 

He is pretty good. 

and why is B B willing to bring in Gordon or A B.

Elite talent, thats why. ( fill the hole from Gronks departure) 

Edited by Figster

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So you think Cleveland's star power won them the game? A dominating 19-point perfomance that went 0-9 from the 1yd line? The Browns are still the Browns. Unfortunately the Bills are regressing 

yes.  not saying the browns are a good team but they won the game and chubb's running and landry's catching were why.  obj even though didn't catch much still took our best defensive player out of the game by having to cover him leaving landry to abuse wallace.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mjt328 said:

The Bills are one-dimensional, which makes things extremely difficult for an offensive line.

Josh Allen can't hit a deep pass to save his life.  And we seem to have poor communication between QB-WR on hot routes.  Which is allowing defenses to play lots of Cover 1 and Cover 0 looks.  That means lots of guys in the box, and lots of blitzing.

The O-Line seems to be doing a good job opening lanes in the running game, but Daboll doesn't seem to believe in that part of the offense.

The last play of the game they crowded the LOS with 9 guys in a pretty clear cover 0 look.  Really smart when you think about it though - clocks running, no time to adjust anything like protections or try and hard count to slow rush/identify rusher.  You know they're blitzing but with your bunch on the left you have to assume its coming right and people will drop into coverage in the passing lanes.  

Quick check to a deep throw to JB and it falls incomplete, but i honestly kind of blame JB.  Its where it needs to be, he is not.  2 seconds was about as long as he had to get that ball up in the air - its at the sidelines and catchable.. he just didn't get there or have his head turned around quickly enough.

• Thank you (+1) 1