The Bills lack star power

Figster

the same seems to be true of the Sabres...both teams have some sort of draftitis malady where they pick B level talent and can't seem to spot that A+ talent..Eichel and Rheinardt are kind of comparable to Allen and Edmunds - they seem to do some really good things from time to time but none of the four ever really dominates the field or the rink. 

I am not as high on Allen as others - IMHO he simply can't see the field the way top level QBs do and those misfire passes are something to behold..my guess is he'll get next year and the Bills will be moving on to another QB in 2021

To quote a Bills/Sabres fan motto: There is always next year

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Polian was luckier in that he had a much better situation in which to begin a complete rebuild. The 1985 Bills had gone 2-14, leaving Polian with the #1 overall pick and a shot at Bruce Smith. McDermott's first pick was #10. The next year they'd only had four wins and they again had good.

More, Polian's first year as GM he came to a team that had drafted Jim Kelly two years before but lost him to the USFL. Being gifted with Jim Kelly is a seriously nice situation for a GM.

At the end of Polian's 3rd year, they had only three Pro Bowlers, and two of them were the guys mentioned above, Bruce and Jim. The third was Tasker. We haven't seen how many Pro Bowlers we'll see at the end of this regime's third year, but Tre looks like a sure thing and one or two more, particularly from the defense is certainly very possible.

In other words, you're looking at Polian's regime with the benefit of hindsight. This early he looked like he'd lucked into Kelly and Smith and not yet had anyone else except Tasker on STs. Looking back on the McDermott and Beane regime, there's no way to know what we'll think. It's way too early. It's simply not a fair comparison.

Toss in that we got a guy like Thurman Thomas in the 2nd round pick after trading away Greg Bell the year before for Cornelius Bennett. As say what you want but Bell was a great RB his first few seasons, including a few years after he left us. 

6 hours ago, Figster said:

When Bill Polian built the team of the 90's that went to 4 straight Superbowls elite players were sprinkled into the Bills lineup for good reason. Names like Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed. When the Buffalo Bills are brought up in discussion in todays day and age the team that lost 4 straight Superbowls is still the identity we carry. Do you ever wonder why that is. It because since that time Buffalo has lacked enough star players at one time to change the perception, or to accomplish great things. Aside from Josh Allen and until he accomplishes something elite does not fit the Bill. Who does Buffalo have to go with Allen by way of elite?. Answer, nobody. I mean we can say the Buffalo Bills have a team full of good character players that train and play hard, but no greats. The kind of great players needed to form an identity. The kind of elite players needed to accomplish great things IMO.

Don't get me wrong I think McD is a good HC.  I also think Josh Allen has star potential. I think the star potential will come given some star players around him. Something Buffalo simply does not have at this point in my humble opinion.

Forgive my thread starting skills. Its been awhile and I'm a little rusty.

Anyone care to share their thoughts? 

Beane gets way too much credit on this site,  made no moves before trading deadline o improve roster when he could have traded for Marcus Peters who the Ravens picked up for a LB and 5th rounder.  Wallace has been trash this season and teams are eating him up,  then you look at money he gave to both Murphy and Star and production we receive from those guys who make a combined 20 million.  My preference is go spend the total 20 million on a star free agent who can make you big plays,  has Jerry Hughes made one play this season or how about his first round pick Oliver did he even play yesterday?

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, BillsBlue said:

I hope it is the end for him he's ruining the season imo

2 weeks ago motor cranks out 140 all purpose yards. Yesterday, motor gets 8 freakin touches at 5 plus a pop against the 30th ranked run defense. I am sick of this bafoon and his inept play calling. 

• Sad 1

Just now, billsfan_34 said:

2 weeks ago motor cranks out 140 all purpose yards. Yesterday, motor gets 8 freakin touches at 5 plus a pop against the 30th ranked run defense. I am sick of this bafoon and his inept play calling. 

Same he should be shown the door imo I would love to see what Greg Roman could have accomplished with Josh Allen call me crazy

Watching the Cowboys last night I thought the same thing about star players (huge expensive O Line, Dak, Amari Cooper, Randall Cobb, Witten, and Zeke Elliot) and yet ...they still LOST!  And their defense isn’t nameless either. How do they pay all of those guys?

Sometimes I think I know more players names on Dallas, than I do on the Bills.

When Bill Polian built the team of the 90's that went to 4 straight Superbowls elite players were sprinkled into the Bills lineup for good reason. Names like Bruce Smith, Thurman Thomas, Jim Kelly and Andre Reed. When the Buffalo Bills are brought up in discussion in todays day and age the team that lost 4 straight Superbowls is still the identity we carry. Do you ever wonder why that is. It because since that time Buffalo has lacked enough star players at one time to change the perception, or to accomplish great things. Aside from Josh Allen and until he accomplishes something elite does not fit the Bill. Who does Buffalo have to go with Allen by way of elite?. Answer, nobody. I mean we can say the Buffalo Bills have a team full of good character players that train and play hard, but no greats. The kind of great players needed to form an identity. The kind of elite players needed to accomplish great things IMO.

Don't get me wrong I think McD is a good HC.  I also think Josh Allen has star potential. I think the star potential will come given some star players around him. Something Buffalo simply does not have at this point in my humble opinion.

they don’t need star power they have DNA and Process. 

21 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

I believe you are wrong, ....again, and the Patriot Way is proof of that.

what is the Patriot Way. Just another ambiguous not defined term. And to say Patriots haven’t had Talent over the years is asinine. 

22 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

I believe you are wrong, ....again, and the Patriot Way is proof of that.

what is the Patriot Way. Just another ambiguous not defined term. And to say Patriots haven’t had Talent over the years is asinine. 

Pardon me. I assumed that this was another Latoulelei thread.

1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

I don’t understand why people don’t see the obvious.

It's probably because he's likable.  I like him too but he's not playing good football.  The bar is set so low for QB's that someone like the way Allen is playing and how Tyrod played.....they think we're okay with QB.  You don't move up into the top 10 for a strong arm QB to play Tyrod level football.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billsfan_34 said:

The main goal for this offense is to get Gore past Barry Sanders on the rushing list. Who cares that he has the burst of a sloth and runs a 4.90 40 now, he must get past Sanders at all costs.

• Haha (+1) 2

Just now, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The main goal for this offense is to get Gore past Barry Sanders on the rushing list. Who cares that he has the burst of a sloth and runs a 4.90 40 now, he must get past Sanders at all costs.

At least you’ve told us what that there’s a goal. Watching the play calling I was beginning to think they were using a pair of dice.