This team is still a year away

4 hours ago, Estro said:

This team being a year away is an optimistic viewpoint IMO.  With every passing week, I'm becoming more certain we have a QB who is not good.  You are never a year away unless you have a good QB, at this point Allen is not good. He's not really showing me anything to think he will be good either, which sucks as a Bills fan.

You are not the only one.  These types of posts are slowly becoming more prevalent around here and eventually, this will be the position held by almost everyone. 

It will take time however.

It will be curious to see how the fanbase at large views Allen at the end of the year. 

I think his welcome in town will be gone by then.

3 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is no such thing as a year away in modern NFL.  You either have a franchise QB or you do not. If you do then you must try to win. If you don’t there is little hope. Injuries, schedule, and free agency are too impactful to say you can build for next year. It’s lunacy. The AFC is a mess and Beane did nothing at the deadline to improve the team. Anything less than 10-6 and a playoff spot is a massive failure with this schedule and how the first half of the season has played out.

This is quite true.

This coaching staff played for a FG/Tie/OT today rather than have confidence in Allen to go down the field, score a TD, and win.

Are they actually thinking already about moving on from Allen?  That would be interesting.

Will we even make the playoffs now?  

I wonder what Pegula is thinking.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

Your point about it still being early is very well-taken. It is indeed early.

As for the field goal, though you're right about the earlier  4th downs, the odds of making a first probably weren't any worse than the odds of making a 58 yard FG. I didn't like the way they approached that series, now or then.

• Like (+1) 1

Well we blew it on not taking Maholmes, and everyone blew it on not taking Wilson.  I’m losing confidence each week, Allen and the coordinators as well as much of the talent of the team.

I was so disappointed as just about everyone was on yesterday.  If we can’t beat a 2-6 team, after losing to a 3-4 team just disgusts me.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

I don’t question the kick I question why they huddled up after singletary run versus trying to get them caught off guard to get the first down.  I also question the timeout after the 2 minute warning and the bombs on third and short yardage.  

• Like (+1) 3

10 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

And next year people will be saying they are another year away.. Same song every year 

Not if they're good next year. I mean, you've got one guess there, but there's no particular reason to think it's correct.

I did a study a couple of years back where I looked at all the successful complete rebuilds in the last 50 years or so. The first two years were universally awful. And about 10% were really successful by the third year. Around 60% achieved success in the 4th year, and nearly all the rest in the fifth.

There was a possibility we'd be really good this year, but it was always very unlikely. If it happens - there are no guarantees - it's likely to be in the next two years. It'll mostly depend on Josh Allen, IMO.

I can't help but think if we'd have kept Fitz all these years we'd basically be in the exact same spot.   think a huge problem with Allen is that they're over-coaching him.  Last year he was raw, but he had a fire and fearlessness that seems gone now.  Yes there's a risk of getting hurt on the runs he used to do, but he also ran with much more bravado last year.  This year his runs feel timid; he's worried all the time.  Over-coached.   They let Lamar Jackson just be himself and when you have that confidence good things happen.  Allen's confidence is all gone.  Hence the overthrowing EVERY long bomb.  Worried about INT.  Let the kid run wild.  Screw it.   Because the over-coaching isn't working.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is no such thing as a year away in modern NFL.  You either have a franchise QB or you do not. If you do then you must try to win. If you don’t there is little hope. Injuries, schedule, and free agency are too impactful to say you can build for next year. It’s lunacy. The AFC is a mess and Beane did nothing at the deadline to improve the team. Anything less than 10-6 and a playoff spot is a massive failure with this schedule and how the first half of the season has played out.

Of course there's such a thing as a year away. You've got utter nonsense there.

And you seem to think we have a franchise QB, which we clearly do not. We have a guy who may become a franchise QB down the road. But he isn't one now. A guy whose passer rating is 29th in the league among guys with 100 or more throws, whose YPA is 26th and whose 10:7 TD/INT ratio puts him in much the same area is in absolutely no non-nutty way a franchise QB.

Yeah, the AFC is a mess. But they've made it clear what their goal is and they are working towards it. They've said it again and again, they want to be consistently competitive. They don't need to be competitive this year if it comes at the expense of the future, which the deals available to them almost certainly would have been.

The fact that you have different goals from them doesn't mean they're wrong. In fact, what it means is that if that's your goal, you've chosen a team that isn't congruent with your goals. Perhaps you ought to switch to a team that's always choosing this year over the future. The Redskins, maybe. They'd at least pursue the same goals as you want your team to do. The Bills, though, aren't going to be competing for a title this year, and paying too much for some old guy who'd be gone in a year or two wouldn't have changed that.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

We want it to go faster but it can’t? 

that’s a major statement with no backing 

4 hours ago, jeffalb3 said:

Yeah, they really need to go for it this year. They might be better next year, but the schedule next year is so much tougher. So there is no guarantee they will be in as good of a position as they are now. 

How do you know the schedule will be tougher?  

Im sure we all thought the Jets x2 would be decent this year.   The Steelers would have Big Ben.  The Broncos would be a tough game.  Philly/Dallas.  Cleveland was a super bowl contender coming into the year.  Titans are solid.  Baltimore was a playoff team last year.    Of course we have the Pats twice.  Things don’t always go as planned and, now, more than ever, you just have to play the season and see what you have.  

Maybe the division is finally in play if Brady leaves... (probably not, but one can hope). 

• Like (+1) 1

always the next year with Buffalo sports teams

The process has the Bills at 6-3.  

Dropped passes ..  That has to stop as well as blaming Josh for them.  

Hauschka has historically had "issues / problems" from the right hash. 

Playoffs this year deeper next year has been my expectations 

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

always the next year with Buffalo sports teams

yet this us truly different 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Is Daboll still a good play caller?

• Haha (+1) 1