This team is still a year away

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

• Like (+1) 8
  • Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

I honestly do not get the Jauron comparison. By that logic we should have compared Rex and Gailey because both had good offenses and bad defenses. McD goes for it on 4th a lot and we had plays today that were too aggressive. I guess if McD is intentionally icing leads, which I'm not convinced he is doing, then that is one similarity.

• Like (+1) 1

This team being a year away is an optimistic viewpoint IMO.  With every passing week, I'm becoming more certain we have a QB who is not good.  You are never a year away unless you have a good QB, at this point Allen is not good. He's not really showing me anything to think he will be good either, which sucks as a Bills fan.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I dont think they are a year away from playoffs....but they are a year away from being serious contenders.

The thing is...I knew that at the beginning of the season......we dont score enough points....we commit too many penalties......we dont have enough PLAYMAKERS....we need more Devin Singletaries....our pass rush is not consistant enough.....our QB is still developing.  Guys like Dawson Knox who got no training camp....etc etc

THey ARE good enough to beat teams they should be beating.....as our record shows.....

80 million in cap space......another full compliment of draft picks

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

28 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

I agree to an extent.  Yes I do think they are 1 year away but then again, it’s a down year for the AFC and the Bills have a pretty light schedule. 

In regards to the FG, people aren’t criticizing the fact that they kicked a FG on 4th down, it’s more the fact that they didn’t really try to score a TD.  There was 1:00 minute left when they crossed the 50.  Rather than trying to go for a score, they seemed ok with settling for a long FG with a shaky kicker like Hauschka who is not very good anymore.  

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

There is ABSOLUTELY no guarantee that the Bills are a year away.

You go for the brass ring every chance you get.

Sometimes you just aren’t good enough to do it and right now this team is not good enough.

It could change, then again maybe it won’t.

The have been millions of teams with expectations that they are a year away, and guess what????? That year never comes.

The Bills need to be better THIS YEAR. Next year isn’t here yet and it very well might not come........ success wise, that is.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

I dont think they are a year away from playoffs....but they are a year away from being serious contenders.

The thing is...I knew that at the beginning of the season......we dont score enough points....we commit too many penalties......we dont have enough PLAYMAKERS....we need more Devin Singletaries....our pass rush is not consistant enough.....our QB is still developing.  Guys like Dawson Knox who got no training camp....etc etc

THey ARE good enough to beat teams they should be beating.....as our record shows.....

i didn't intend to mean playoffs, i firmly believe we make it this year. I am referring to being real contenders.

i agree with everything you're saying.

There is no such thing as a year away in modern NFL.  You either have a franchise QB or you do not. If you do then you must try to win. If you don’t there is little hope. Injuries, schedule, and free agency are too impactful to say you can build for next year. It’s lunacy. The AFC is a mess and Beane did nothing at the deadline to improve the team. Anything less than 10-6 and a playoff spot is a massive failure with this schedule and how the first half of the season has played out.

• Like (+1) 5

1 hour ago, Estro said:

This team being a year away is an optimistic viewpoint IMO.  With every passing week, I'm becoming more certain we have a QB who is not good.  You are never a year away unless you have a good QB, at this point Allen is not good. He's not really showing me anything to think he will be good either, which sucks as a Bills fan.

Sorry estro but Josh is way better than last year, not hitting the deep ball is maddening but thats all he had last year. Alot of the rookies from last year have regressed while josh has improved. If you think a QB is ready in less than 2 years you are sadly mistaken. Josh was not good in college and the fact he has come this far shows he is improving and there is no reason to believe he will not continue.

2 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

There is no such thing as a year away in modern NFL.  You either have a franchise QB or you do not. If you do then you must try to win. If you don’t there is little hope. Injuries, schedule, and free agency are too impactful to say you can build for next year. It’s lunacy. The AFC is a mess and Beane did nothing at the deadline to improve the team. Anything less than 10-6 and a playoff spot is a massive failure with this schedule and how the first half of the season has played out.

So franchise QBs happen instantaneously, got it. The more you post the more you reveal you know nothing about football and your comments are not worth considering until you do.

47 minutes ago, njbuff said:

There is ABSOLUTELY no guarantee that the Bills are a year away.

You go for the brass ring every chance you get.

Sometimes you just aren’t good enough to do it and right now this team is not good enough.

It could change, then again maybe it won’t.

The have been millions of teams with expectations that they are a year away, and guess what????? That year never comes.

The Bills need to be better THIS YEAR. Next year isn’t here yet and it very well might not come........ success wise, that is.

so what player's should we bring now to get the brass ring ??

of course they are going to go for it but they dont have the players yet to be real contenders.

• Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Phil The Thrill said:

I agree to an extent.  Yes I do think they are 1 year away but then again, it’s a down year for the AFC and the Bills have a pretty light schedule. 

In regards to the FG, people aren’t criticizing the fact that they kicked a FG on 4th down, it’s more the fact that they didn’t really try to score a TD.  There was 1:00 minute left when they crossed the 50.  Rather than trying to go for a score, they seemed ok with settling for a long FG with a shaky kicker like Hauschka who is not very good anymore.  

They were trying to go for it the players didn't execute so McD had no choice but to kick. Playcalling is not the problem, execution is.

In a way, I agree.  But I also think that on a good day, they can beat anyone in the league - and the league is not that amazing this year.  Every game the Bills play is close (barring Philly, which could have gone a different way if that late 1st half fumble didn't happen).  

Make the playoffs & anything can happen.  It's a cliché, but as true as ever this year.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, jeffalb3 said:

Yeah, they really need to go for it this year. They might be better next year, but the schedule next year is so much tougher. So there is no guarantee they will be in as good of a position as they are now. 

WTH? FA, the Draft and the Trade Deadline are all behind us. Only street FAs are left for the pickin’s. We already ARE Going for it this year -with everything we’ve got! It’s just not enough yet. Much like here, we’re always looking for that next superstar poster. But, as evidenced by your 1st Ever post, there’s not much left out there..?

Welcome Aboard!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Reader said:

I honestly do not get the Jauron comparison. By that logic we should have compared Rex and Gailey because both had good offenses and bad defenses. McD goes for it on 4th a lot and we had plays today that were too aggressive. I guess if McD is intentionally icing leads, which I'm not convinced he is doing, then that is one similarity.

The ending of today's game to me anyway was eerily similar to a Dick Jauron game I was at ironically against the Clowns. It was the Monday Night game in Brady Quinn's first start. The game Trent threw 3 picks in our first 4 possessions. We battled back to get the football back with less that 2:00 to go down by 2. A FG wins it and keeps our playoff hopes alive. Trent quickly got us down to the 35 where we camped out and then Lindell missed a long FG.  Sound familiar?

That was the night ? I officially jumped off the DJ bandwagon.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

WTH? FA, the Draft and the Trade Deadline are all behind us. Only street FAs are left for the pickin’s. We already ARE Going for it this year -with everything we’ve got! It’s just not enough yet. Much like here, we’re always looking for that next superstar poster. But, as evidenced by your 1st Ever post, there’s not much left out there..?

Welcome Aboard!?

Thanks! I realize that I just meant they need to try to improve the best they can this year, and do the best with what they got. It is very clear they are lacking at certain positions still but seems they are close. Another good draft and free agency might do the trick. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

Agree with this. For me it is the unknowns which concern me the most:

- Will Josh become an elite QB

- How will our top draftees from the last 2 drafts (Edmunds, Ford, Oliver) turn out

- How wisely will we use next years picks and will they become impact players

- Can our current coaches develop game plans and plays to get the best out of our roster

At the moment I lean slightly more towards being hopeful than confident