Bottom line is the Defense has to prevent an 80 yard TD drive and we win

JerseyBills

10 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

True.  Can’t be too critical if the D after that goal line stand.  But they make the stop we win. 

yeah, great goal line stand...except it was the defense playing poorly that allowed them to get to the goal line in the first place...and multiple times during the game.  I don’t care about the goal line stand because Cle should have kicked a FG for points and then there is no “stand”.  

I was disappointed in how we let Cle drive so much and how easy the 80 yard game winning drive was.  

Goalline stand was cool when they did it, but y’all forgetting how bad the D was the drives that allowed Cle to get to goal line.  And you can’t hold them forever, so letting them keep getting there was inexcusable as it eventually lost us the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

yeah, great goal line stand...except it was the defense playing poorly that allowed them to get to the goal line in the first place...and multiple times during the game.  I don’t care about the goal line stand because Cle should have kicked a FG for points and then there is no “stand”.  

I was disappointed in how we let Cle drive so much and how easy the 80 yard game winning drive was.  

Goalline stand was cool when they did it, but y’all forgetting how bad the D was the drives that allowed Cle to get to goal line.  And you can’t hold them forever, so letting them keep getting there was inexcusable as it eventually lost us the game. 

if the defense is at the top of your list of things gone wrong yesterday then i'm at a loss man.... they were so far from the major problems. if you freaking hold a team to 19, a team that itself allows 26 a game, and you still lose there are serious issues elsewhere that majorly dwarf the defense.

47 minutes ago, pop gun said:

IMO this is not true, 41 passes says as much.

Bad play calls and bad clock management are a huge issue. 

Daboll and McD ineptness is really hampering Allens developement.

So you let your QB drop back 48 times letting hit sling it make the decisions trusting in him to make plays is hampering no. What sean mcvay did to goff is hampering and its showing now we are letting a qb play his game and its not working 

22 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

if the defense is at the top of your list of things gone wrong yesterday then i'm at a loss man.... they were so far from the major problems. if you freaking hold a team to 19, a team that itself allows 26 a game, and you still lose there are serious issues elsewhere that majorly dwarf the defense.

Huh, where did I put it all on the defense?  I’m simply saying while the goal line stand was cool, it was also terrible defense that allowed those drives prior to getting to the goal line.  And they didn’t make a stand when it was needed most.  

There were a LOT of reasons we lost yesterday. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

Defense was not great today  Allowing the Browns to march 80 yards in the 4th quarter is not the hallmark of a veteran top 5 defense

They had 2 great goal line stands - one of which gave up 0 points.  They even put up 2 points on the score board on the safety. 

The offense simply has to score more than 14 points in today's NFL.. can't keep getting bailed out by the defense.

3 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

McDermott was quite deliberately playing for a FG/TIE/OT on that final drive.

Look at how they used the clock!  They are scared to let Allen open it up and try to move down the field for a TD and win.

They have him extremely restrained b/c when he is not, he's a turnover machine.

That last drive was really interesting to me.  I am wondering, for the first time ever, if these guys are thinking Josh isn't the guy.

I'm not sure they're thinking Josh isn't the guy, but they are definitely restraining him.  It did look like he was playing for the FG/OT, and he didn't do that particularly well.  McD tried to run all the clock off he could so he could send out Huaschoke with only a couple of seconds left.  Where we saw them burn time in the huddle, that may very well have been intentional.

9 hours ago, TJC25 said:

Lofty expectations just decent qb is lofty a qb hitting wide open guys is lofty having a offense average 21 is lofty expectaions man we have fallen far as a fan base if these things are lofty expectations. So Josh played well in cinci and the titans 

He hasn't been playing decent?

He hasn't hit wide open guys?

So he has not gotten any better this year from last year? Is that what you are saying?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Protocal69 said:

That’s part of the advantage of deferring to receive the ball until the 2nd half

Deferring gives you the potential for back to back possessions before and after halftime . Not sure if it has an impact at the end of the game; too many things can happen in quarters 3 and 4. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan2313 said:

The kicker missed two FGs. Is that something you forgot, or what?

Obviously kicks were missed. The Bills should have had a couple of shots at a game winning TD and a more manageable FG attempt if they had managed the end of the game efficiently. It was sloppy and they wasted a lot of time off the clock. Plays were curious as well. 

12 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

He called 20 runs and 41 passes on the road, with the lead for part of the game.   With a QB that struggles that is bad.

Loved that bomb on 3rd and 3. 

Allen at least has youth as an excuse.  Daboll has never once had a productive offense on any NFL team, ever.  

At least you get it...daboll is essentially making our team a one dimensional,pass happy team with a qb whom was raw coming out of a low tier college program....simply unacceptable to set the game up as if allen is brees or mahommes

Frazier is not good either..he is average at best and his career as a dc backs my claims of that..he is way to conservative and his bend but dont break isnt to be counted on to seal games..he has a tendency to shy away from aggressive play calling and puts his team into an almsot prevent like cover two or quarters as soon as the offense has even the slightest lead..he plays not to lose and never plats to dominate and bring the heat...highly overrated in Bills land imo

14 hours ago, BillsVet said:

How many people on this board do not know how to spell the OC's name correctly?

D-A-B-O-L-

The defense was good enough to win today.  When you hold your opponent to 19 points and the offense can't score more, it's not a defensive issue.  

NFL defenses are not going to be the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, or '02 Buccaneers and consistently hold teams to 10 points per.  Not happening. 

Thanks, I was beginning to spell his name as "Crapoll"... Where was the running game?

• Haha (+1) 1

Defense bails this team out time and again. Would've been nice if they had closed it out but there are gonna be games where the offense is gonna need to step up and get it done, and they didn't.  

Daboll's gotta find ways to be more consistent. They seem to get rolling when the pressure is on but when they have a lead they don't seem to be able to keep their foot on the gas and put teams away. 

To a certain extent, I agree with this. If you are going to build your team around defense and your offense gives you the lead with under 4 minutes remaining, that's when your defense needs to come up big. And they didn't.

Then you look at that last drive, Josh was driving again, then they huddle? Not sure what that was about.

Then you have Hauschka leaving 6 points on the field...

Failure at all three phases of the game is a hard pill to swallow, plenty of blame to go around.

• Like (+1) 1