Bottom line is the Defense has to prevent an 80 yard TD drive and we win

JerseyBills

2 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

Deferring gives you the potential for back to back possessions before and after halftime . Not sure if it has an impact at the end of the game; too many things can happen in quarters 3 and 4. 

Thats most of it but the last position does come into play more often than not

14 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I blame the defense for giving up the late TD but not necessarily the players on the field.  The Browns have a good set of skill players on offense and a QB that can be very effective and accurate when given adequate time to throw.  Their weakness on the offensive side of the ball is the offensive line and when Mayfield is pressured he can be erratic and make mistakes in judgment and throwing bad passes. 

But rather than bring pressure on the QB on the Browns scoring drive the Bills DC/HC ran a relatively vanilla bend but don't break and hope for the opponent to make a mistake strategy.  And it didn't work as Mayfield mostly worked the ball to Landry exploiting Wallace who was having a bad day at CB.  This to me screams of a lack of situational awareness.  Looking around the league at the top defensive squads I suspect most of them would rolled the dice and have brought the heat on Mayfield.  

Other than that the offense didn't run the ball enough and our PK missed two crucial kicks. In fact he's missed a FG to close the 1st half in each of the teams 3 losses.  

Exactly. 

Majority of the defense has 3 years with each other.  I was extremely dissapointed we didn't attack Mayfield consistently on that final drive and let this group dictate the play , instead they drop back and get barely any pressure, ultimately giving up chunk plays. This is the first time I'm calling out McD , that drive and our final drive were brutal to watch 

22 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Yes Dabol called a TERRIBLE game. 

Singletary getting 8 carries in a 1 score gm is mind boggling and idiotic. Outsmarting yourself dropping Allen back 48 times!!

But we persevered through that and had a 4 point lead and this defense holds them to under 80 yards, we win the game. That was unacceptable . This unit has been intact for 2-3 years going against a 2nd year, erratic QB. Where was the pressure? Our D played great but when it counted most , failed pretty badly. Ugly , hurtful loss today. My only hope is this team gets stronger after this one. 

Just saw the Hughes replay, brutal

We should be 7-2 , Worse loss in years. 

Edit - For example,that Edmunds blitz was beautiful,Tre last week was a great blitz. Why aren't we attacking, using our 6'5 freakishly athletic mlb to rush the QB a little more.

Mayfield  has had a hard time vs pressure and we just sit back. This group deserves the opportunity. Terrible coaching down the stretch all around and I love McDermott. First gm I'm very disappointed in the coaching versus a coach and team we should have wiped the floor with

if the expectation is perfection you can fault anyone. 

but if you think the offense has any high ground walking into film review this week, you are highly mistaken. The defense isn’t perfect but it’s miles ahead.

Just now, NoSaint said:

if the exapectation is perfection

,ehatyou can fault anyone. 

but if yoolu think the offense has any high ground walking into film r eview this week, you are highly mistaken. The deftense isn’t perfect but int’s miles ahead.e

The offenste is atrocious . Whty ion s, Allen dropping back 48 times and our RB getting 13 carries in a one score game?!?! Why?!? That's amateur hour,fireable offense.  

I agree on the defense. Again, I hold them to a very high standard and expected them to not allow an erratic, struggling offense to go 80 yards with the gm on the line. I wanted to see some aggressiveness and was super dissapointed

23 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Bottom line is the Defense has to prevent an 80 yard TD drive and we win

Nah. That's not the bottom line. It's true, but it's a footnote. You can put about a hundred things in the first clause there.

Bottom line is that if Hauschka hits the field goals and we win. Bottom line is that if the offense scores another TD and we win. I got a hundred of 'em.

The defense held the Browns to 19 points. They certainly didn't play great, but they played well. Absolutely well enough to win. The onus on this game falls on the offense and on Hauschka.

Having said that, the whole team needs to play better. But the defense played well enough to win this game and the offense didn't.

11 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'm not sure they're thinking Josh isn't the guy, but they are definitely restraining him.  It did look like he was playing for the FG/OT, and he didn't do that particularly well.  McD tried to run all the clock off he could so he could send out Huaschoke with only a couple of seconds left.  Where we saw them burn time in the huddle, that may very well have been intentional.

It wasn't intentional, as McDermott said in his press conference.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

But not when the game was on the line, did they?

The game was on the line every time. We only needed three more points. It was on the line when we made those terrific stops as well.

You can't blame a defense when they hold the other team to 19 points on a day when the offense plays horribly.

Yeah, I wish they had made one more stop. But they played well overall. The offense didn't. Nor did Hauschka.

23 hours ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Been saying this all day.  Offensive shares the burden of blame, no doubt about it.  However, regardless of how badass the goal line stands were today, the offense did get the lead with around 5:00 or just under to play and the defense allowed the Browns to methodically march down the field to take the lead.   At one time, Chubb carried like four five defenders on his back to get a first down.  Several times had them in 3rd down but kept giving up out patterns at the sticks.  

Two sacks and zero turnovers against a QB who likes to get sacked and turn it over.

People still want to act like pass rush isn't a problem and it's baffling. The team lacks a playmaker in the front 7 because if you have one of those guys, the odds are you're not going two games without a TO against the Redskins and the Browns.

This is a good defense and they are not the problem; but there's certainly some flaws in key areas.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

The game was on the line every time. We only needed three more points. It was on the line when we made those terrific stops as well.

You can't blame a defense when they hold the other team to 19 points on a day when the offense plays horribly.

Yeah, I wish they had made one more stop. But they played well overall. The offense didn't. Nor did Hauschka.

Get some context will ya; I never blamed the defense wholly for the loss.  However, they are still accountable for allowing the Browns with less than 5 minutes to march 80 yds down the field to get the go ahead score (after the offense took the lead).  So yeah, the defense had an opportunity to close it despite how good they played overall, and they failed to stop them.  That's the only point of this conversation.

12 hours ago, DuckyBoys said:

They really need to decide how they are going to handle Allen  Either open it up and live  with the good and bad or stick with a game plan that gives him support (run the football more created completion near the los)  They cant seem to make up their mind.  Browns are not good against the run why were we in shotgun with no rb on most downs?  Daboll sucks, Allen may be struggling but his OC is not doing him any favors.

this

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

OK, Thurman#1.  We get it that the defense put in some heroic stops.  They did.  They were Dawgs.

But here's the thing: in a game where the Offense committed no turnovers and the ST no muffs or miscues to excuse them, they gave up 368 total yards.

147 yds rushing, 2nd highest total of the season to the Iggles game. 

They allowed themselves to be quick-stepped backwards down the field for a 6 play under 3 minute, 75 yd TD drive to start the game.

No excuses, no "oh they were exhausted by the offense not being able to give them a break", that's the first drive. 

Then they let the Browns stay on the field for 14, 13, 10, and 10 play drives taking 7:19 (downs), 6:34 (FG), 5:01(FG), and 3:42 (TD) minutes.  That heroic goal line stand was epic - but like the Allen 4Q comebacks so many people disparage, completely unnecessary if they didn't get shoved backwards down the field to begin with.  And the O did manage a number of decent drives, 9 play, 11 play, 3@7 play, 8 play.  It's not like the D was thrown back on the field without rest due to endless 3 and outs or turnovers.

Now I guess you can absolve them and say "you can't blame a defense".  You do you if that floats your boat.  But the bottom line is, if the offense obtains a lead late in the 4th, it's on the D to get the stop and protect the lead.  And that's just as true if the score is 16-12 as it is if the score is 42-39.

McDermott blamed execution on "all 3 phases" and I think he's right. 

Defense has to be more aggressive in getting after the qb  Mayfield had a pick in all but one game prior to Sunday  Haskins is a rookie and had been a turnover machine prior to playing the Bills .  Do we even need to address Ryan Fitzpatrick?  Bottom line is the defense is almost never in attack mode anymore and with a mediocre struggling offense getting some extra possessions could be the difference between righting this ship or another 8-8 finish

22 hours ago, pop gun said:

I dont thin that's it, they were 10-15 yards down field moving towards the LOS and making tackles after the TE, RB, WR gained 5-10 yards. They weren't out in the flat covering guys out of the backfield, it was almost as if the dropped back I to a zone. 

Frazier’s  antiquated soft zone scheme.  He had them standing so far back into Lake Erie.  Only prevents you from winning. You notice that New England doesn’t play that soft zone very much. 

9 hours ago, billsfan714 said:

How many stops did the D have in the red zone?   Answer a ton.

Buffalo couldn’t back up like frazier likes when they’re near the end zone so they get to make plays instead of backing up all the time Frazier’s  seat should be burning. Let’s be an attacking blitzing defense more Stop playing scared. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wallace is not playing well, our entire defensive line is unimpressive. Shaq didn’t set the edge well yesterday and Murphy isn’t strong enough or quick enough. Our linebackers are stretched thin by crappy D-line play and having to tackle for some of our corners. The LB’s are having a tough time shedding blocks too. The defense should have won us the game by getting a stop on the long drive.

Offensively, we should have run the ball with singletary much more than we did. We should have had an “establish the run and then use play action” game plan.

Boring old-school football wins a game like that.

Edited by SJDK