Bottom line is the Defense has to prevent an 80 yard TD drive and we win

JerseyBills

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

Because our RB averages 5 ypc and it was never more than a 1 possession game. I can't comprehend how you abandon the run today. It's really bothering me

That’s what Daboll does. It’s not on Daboll to run the ball. It’s on our HC to demand that HIS offensive coordinator run the ball. 

If Daboll refuses to willingly give it to our best playmaker McDermott has to demand and if he already has than Daboll shouldn’t have a job. 

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

Only scoring 14 points is as every bit as much to blame as that last drive. This defense has bailed out the offense all year with the exception of maybe the Giants. It's atrociously unfair for one side of the team to constantly bail out the other side. The offense hasn't pulled their weight for the majority of the year. The offense failed far more than the defense today only putting up 14, not to mention special teams *cough Hauschka*. Lack of execution on offense has kept this team in games closer than they should have been, and it's produced near losses as well. I won't put any part of today's loss on this defense. Yeah, they gave up some chunk yards today, and they stunk up the joint  against Philly. But the wins we have were more attributed to the defense. And with those wins came the masking of the offensive deficiencies

I completely agree with everything you said said, except I hold this D to a high standard. I expect them not to let Mayfield March 80 yards on them , I still think Hughes returned that fumble but that's irrelevant. 

24 minutes ago, BrycePaup4ever said:

Is this really the time to blame the defence. They have won a few games for us this year and despite that drive still played an alright game. They get a pass from me this time.

In the postgame presser, McDermott was getting some questions about why, week after week, the run D takes until the 2nd half to stiffen up

I think it’s fair.

I don’t think they get a pass.  They had some fantastic, unreal, unbelievable play.  That goal line stand was epic.  But they also got backed down the field multiple times, and they couldn’t get the stop at the end when it could have sealed the game.

• Like (+1) 1

It's a team loss. Starts with McD, the defense and lack of turnovers, the kicker, and then Allen.  Daboll was fine. His scheme gets guys open.  Allen missed some throws and had one or two drops.  The o-line did ok run blocking and I would have been happy if Daboll had called a few more runs.  

At the end of the day, the defense needs to make a stop.  I have no issue with the blitz on the TD throw.  Wallace should be able to cover that guy 1:1 and make a play.  I have an issue with the lack of pressure the rest of the game on a QB who throws more picks than Allen.  Terrible. 

7 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

They’ve invested so little in the offense in 3 years, in fact they have possibly given away more talent on offense than they have gained. The defense has had heavy investment in all 3 drafts and in FA. They should be held to a higher standard than the offense until that levels out.

McD did give away offensive talent.

Bobby Woods.is really missed..wtf was he thinking? zay Jones? really.....

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, BrycePaup4ever said:

Is this really the time to blame the defence. They have won a few games for us this year and despite that drive still played an alright game. They get a pass from me this time.

I will never blame the Defense this year. They're not perfect but they've carried this team all year. This whole season is a systematic breakdown of the offense under Daboll and Allen's inconsistencies. McDermott can't possibly stick with dumboll much longer. Singletary 8 touches is a disgrace. Huddling on the Browns 40 with 40 seconds left had screaming at the tv.....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

They are damn good; except on that final drive!

Except it wasn’t the final drive. The Bills got the ball back with about 1:40 on the clock and a timeout. You should win or tie that game 90% of the time. It’s a ton of time, and they couldn’t do it. Sometimes the team who has the ball last is going to win the game, and this should have been one of those times. NFL rules don’t favor the defense. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I completely agree with everything you said said, except I hold this D to a high standard. I expect them not to let Mayfield March 80 yards on them , I still think Hughes returned that fumble but that's irrelevant. 

Unfortunately, I think the coaching staff holds them to just as high a standard. We all knew this D was far from the one we've been accustomed to seeing before the bye. I think it's the offense's turn to at least play near the same level. The defense held the Browns to 12 points before that drive, and Hauschka missed 2 FGs that would have won us the game

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

I don't think anyone is arguing that point at all.  The point is, the defense still had a chance to win the game (after the offense scored mind you), and all they had to do was stop the drive.  They didn't get it done on that drive and allowed the Browns to take the lead.  

*Nods* 

In accident investigation, the protocol is that the largest share of blame goes to the last person or people who could have prevented the accident.

In this case, there is plenty of blame to go around.  Haushka could have made that kick.  The offense could have moved the ball better and gotten closer.  The coaches could have managed the clock better.  And prior to that, the defense could have gotten the stop.

4 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

They are damn good; except on that final drive!

The goal line stand was epic.

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except it wasn’t the final drive. The Bills got the ball back with about 1:40 on the clock and a timeout. You should win or tie that game 90% of the time. It’s a ton of time, and they couldn’t do it. Sometimes the team who has the ball last is going to win the game, and this should have been one of those times. NFL rules don’t favor the defense. 

Except it was the Browns final drive.  So let me ask you this:  If the defense stops the Browns on that drive, do the Bills win?

Just now, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Except it was the Browns final drive.  So let me ask you this:  If the defense stops the Browns on that drive, do the Bills win?

You can't throw ifs on one specific issue. My god the list is far longer than a lack of a defensive stop on the Browns' last drive

21 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

How many people on this board do not know how to spell the OC's name correctly?

D-A-B-O-L-

The defense was good enough to win today.  When you hold your opponent to 19 points and the offense can't score more, it's not a defensive issue.  

NFL defenses are not going to be the '85 Bears, '00 Ravens, or '02 Buccaneers and consistently hold teams to 10 points per.  Not happening. 

2 L's in Daboll.....one for this week...one for next week...this offense is a 17 pt. per game joke.

• Haha (+1) 1

Possibly. It depends how much time was left when the drive ended, where the Bills got the ball etc etc. If the Bills score a TD on their final possession the game is almost certainly over. The defense is above average. They can’t always cover for a bottom 5 or so offense. Football rules aren’t set up that way. The offense has to do its part. 

5 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

That’s what Daboll does. It’s not on Daboll to run the ball. It’s on our HC to demand that HIS offensive coordinator run the ball. 

If Daboll refuses to willingly give it to our best playmaker McDermott has to demand and if he already has than Daboll shouldn’t have a job. 

I want to think that their game-planning process requires the offense and defense to complement their strategy.  As a result, I'd like to think the offense would run the ball to maintain possession, keep Cleveland's offense off the field, and keep the defense rested.  

But no (in John Belushi voice) the OC chose to attack Cleveland's 6th ranked pass defense and held off on going at their 30th ranked run defense.

McD strikes me as a guy who wants to be the defensive version of Chan Gailey.  As in, abdicate responsibility for the side opposite what he knows and trust it'll work out.  Then it doesn't and he's left to explain what went wrong.  You'd think something has to give by now, but beating lower echelon teams probably has delayed the HC demanding the OC make some play-calling changes. 

• Like (+1) 2

Answer the question

No because it just raises other questions. What if Daboll wasn't a complete moron and actually went for a 3 yard pickup on 3rd and 3 instead of a 50 yard bomb close to midfield? What if Hauschka makes those FGs? What if the Bills ran the ball more instead of abandoning it? Any of those could have contributed to a win

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Possibly. It depends how much time was left when the drive ended, where the Bills got the ball etc etc. If the Bills score a TD on their final possession the game is almost certainly over. The defense is above average. They can’t always cover for a bottom 5 or so offense. Football rules aren’t set up that way. The offense has to do its part. 

I agree, and I don't pin the loss on the defense as a whole.  As I said earlier, the lack of offensive production is the bigger issue.  But, I'm just saying, the defense had an opportunity to essentially close it out with a stop.  It didn't happen, it is what is.  

1 minute ago, buffalo2218 said:

No because it just raises other questions. What if Daboll wasn't a complete moron and actually went for a 3 yard pickup on 3rd and 3 instead of a 50 yard bomb close to midfield? What if Hauschka makes those FGs? What if the Bills ran the ball more instead of abandoning it? Any of those could have contributed to a win

Stay with me here, we are simply talking about the final (Brown's) drive as the OP stated in the opening.  Yes all those other what-if's contributed, but we aren't talking about those things at the present time the Browns had the ball with 80 yds to go for a game leading (eventual winning) touchdown.

9 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

Except it wasn’t the final drive. The Bills got the ball back with about 1:40 on the clock and a timeout. You should win or tie that game 90% of the time. It’s a ton of time, and they couldn’t do it.

Hey look, made up stats. Real statistics are about 25% of the time.