Stalling at the 35 or 40 of the opponents...

Hebert19

This is the real issue for the Bills.  

That 15 to 20 yards to the red zone seems very difficult for us. looking back at the first 9 games box scores (quick look so numbers may not be perfect) i counted 15+ drives that got to the 40 of the opponents that didnt end in points.  Either missed fgs, failed 4th downs or punts.  

I also noticed the trend to throw more once we cross the 50.  

Seems if we clean that stalling up...maybe by running the ball more...we win today for sure...and maybe the scoring numbers aren't so bleak.  

Thoughts. ?

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

That 15 to 20 yards to the red zone seems very difficult for us. looking back at the first 9 games box scores (quick look so numbers may not be perfect) i counted 15+ drives that got to the 40 of the opponents that didnt end in points.  Either missed fgs, failed 4th downs or punts.  

Seems if we clean that stalling up...maybe by running the ball more...we win today for sure...and maybe the scoring numbers aren't so bleak.  

Thoughts. ?

We stall because we don’t run the ball enough. Makes sense to me. 

24 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

Thoughts. ?

Yeah for the last couple of week I get a little queezy everytime I see the opponents 40 yard line. Seriously.

This is something I noticed against the Bengals and really stood out against the dolphins and even today was very noticeable.

For whatever reason the play calling goes bad once we hit mid field.

They have 2 plays a corner that takes them to the 15ish yard line or that reverse/motion play. It's very predictable

1 hour ago, Hebert19 said:

Thoughts. ?

Today there was the Knox drop and then the bad throw to brown that stuck out. I like a run on 3rd if u plan on going for it on 4th.

Sack on a 3rd down in the 3rd quarter killed one. 

Offsetting penalties on another one, a failed swing pass to singletery and brown didn't pull in the contested slant. 

Seemed like they were blitzing on thirds too, had that one where he had to throw to Roberts and no one was open too.

• Like (+1) 1

Yes i agree this is a major issue. They do well usually until they get into this area of the field and then either bog down, turn the ball over, get penalties, poor execution etc...

I honestly think this team might be worst in the NFL in percentage of drives that reach opponents territory that result in points.

They end up in No Mans Land a lot where its too far to try a FG and too short to punt. McDermott has been very aggressive in going for it but they haven't rewarded his aggressiveness with success much. Even on long but very makeable FGs like 52 or 53 yard ones that almost every other team would try, McDermott goes for it...like yesterday for instance...

I think he knows something is not right with Hauschka because there is no way an NFL kicker should be coming up short from 53 yards out, and he knows that even trying a FG from that distance is a waste of time but had no choi e at the end of the game. Puts your team in a tremendous hole, especially when the team is so starved for points that you can't count on points from a normal distance that usually gets you points 65% of the time on average. I mean Hauschka had the longest streak of made kicks from 50+ yards at one point with us and now he can't even reach from 50 yards....that's not good...he hasn't been right since that hit last year and I'm starting to wonder if he ever will be again...

They get very few points for the number of times they reach opponent territory and this should be the number one thing to look at and try and fix.

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 2

I think playcalling too. The playcalling changes in that part of the field, which is why the false starts, holding, miscommunications, JA scrambling, all start to happen as well. It’s like the O knows what’s coming from the OC in their own territory, then he throws them curve balls and it’s all in disarray. I’m not sure anyone knows what the objective is at that point on the field: is it play conservative and guarantee at least a FG, or play aggressive and risk a turnover (and loss of points)? I wonder how much of McD’s conservative nature creeps into the OC’s brain there.  Not sure where the blame lies.