A Few Thoughts about the Browns Game, In no particular order

Virgil

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Is this all we can expect from Allen and Daboll going forward?

I don't see why anyone would presume that.  The offense is still growing and there's still a relatively green QB behind center.  You may think you know all there is to know after 10 games but I don't.

3 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

It is possible to do both..... draft one this past draft and this years. 

Got it to let the season play out but I agree....if the offense continues to look like this going forward I think you fire Daboll and perhaps someone else hires the OC because McDermott doesn’t have a clue in this department. 

Overall not not very confident in this regime. That 30 second run off to 3rd and 4 was mind blowing and really sums up McDermotts ***** mentality as a head coach. Play for the tie and settle for a 53 yard field goal instead of going for the win. I’ve been crushing him all year as the team goes into a shell when they get a lead....yesterday was another example of this scared coaching philosophy. 

I'm struggling with the bottom part - how much of it is Juaron ball and how much of it is not believing in your offense (whether it is QB/WR/OC)? I can't believe I am defending McD here, but he has to know that our kicker missed his last 4 at 50+, is 61.5% on FG this year, has missed 10 FG since week 13 last year and deciding to put him in the situation for a tie is awful decision making and I am not sure he is that bad. 

The 30 second run off is something that I doubt we will ever know the truth about and I wonder if it was actually McD and Daboll not being on the same page. We even had a timeout. I hate the automatic check on the 3rd down; there was plenty of time, even with the 30 second debacle to get a first and get a few more plays before settling for the FG. It just seems like there was more going on there - there is no way McD can be that dumb

You know what scares the ***** out of me?  What if Allen wasn’t allow to run the ball within 10 yards of the goal line?   I get that’s our reality and part of why he was drafted.  But what would our record be if you took away those TD’s?  Would Daboll have found us a way in still?  

Half of his also don’t seem to be scripted.  

47 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

You're supposed to go deep against cover 0. Punish them with a post or fade route. Basically what JA went for. At that point it just needs to be good route running and a good throw.

Looks like the Browns screwed up letting that guy open. But he really isn't supposed to be open at all in man coverage. JA doesn't have time to look at people he thinks will be covered pre-snap.

Also Dawson Knox needs to be max protect. Holy h*** we're blocking 5 against 8 of course JA doesn't have time. Really just looks like an ugly play on both sides all around. I'd just say either Daboll or JA need to do better pre-snap against this look.

You have about 2 seconds on a Cover0 Blitz to get rid of the ball before the defender gets there a deep ball is not necessarily the only play call - it is quick routes or a Go and Brown said he got tapped into the Go route.

The other option would have been to motion the slot WR across the line and have him block the end man on the line and there for taking 2 defenders out of the play. This would leave a basic Cover 1 coverage and allow the other routes to develop. I am assuming we chose the Go route because we aren't capable of this last point. I say this only because we have ran this play 10x so far and our results are bad, very bad...

39 minutes ago, eball said:

I don't see why anyone would presume that.  The offense is still growing and there's still a relatively green QB behind center.  You may think you know all there is to know after 10 games but I don't.

It's not growing and that is the problem, it has been stagnant the last, what, 3-4 games? Allen has plateaued and when the play calling oscillates between having flow and moving the ball; running 4 verts on 3rd and short with Roberts & Beasley on the field; running Singletary 8 times against the 30th ranked run defense, wasting 30 seconds at the end of the game for a FG at a range where our kicker is not able to hit 50 yards, etc.

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

You have about 2 seconds on a Cover0 Blitz to get rid of the ball before the defender gets there a deep ball is necessarily the play call - it is quick routes or a go and Brown said he got tapped into the Go route.

The other option would have been to motion the slot WR across the line and have him block the end man on the line and there for taking 2 defenders out of the play. This would leave a basic Cover 1 coverage and allow the other routes to develop. I am assuming we chose the Go route because we aren't capable of this last point. I say this only becuase we have ran this play 10x so far and our results are bad, very bad...

It's not growing and that is the problem, it has been stagnant the last, what, 3-4 games? Allen has plateaued and when the play calling oscillates between having flow and moving the ball; running 4 verts on 3rd and short with Roberts & Beasley on the field; running Singletary 8 times against the 30th ranked run defense, wasting 30 seconds at the end of the game for a FG at a range where our kicker is not able to hit.

I feel very aligned with you right now.  Is this love?

• Haha (+1) 1

Virgil, you missed the single most significant event of this game! 

The lack of confidence the coaching staff showed in Josh Allen on the final possession combined with our utterly inept use of the clock.  That was so poorly managed on so many levels.

But it was obvious Allen was not trusted to open it up, march down the field, and try to win the game for us with a TD.

They were playing for a long FG, on grass, on a day when your kicker already missed a much easier kick from the very beginning.

WTF was that exactly?

And are these guys thinking about moving on from Allen?  If not, why didn't they ask him to go out and win the game for us yesterday?

2 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think he’s proven time and time again he’s an awful game manager and afraid to take chances in specific situations.... ultimately McD is responsible there. He’s the HC. He’s not just a defensive coordinator.

yeah I know and this is the other part that is making me struggle with this. It's not that hard and the optimist in me is hoping there is another angle to it :ph34r:

39 minutes ago, BarkleyForGOATBackupPT5P said:

You're supposed to go deep against cover 0. Punish them with a post or fade route. Basically what JA went for. At that point it just needs to be good route running and a good throw.

Looks like the Browns screwed up letting that guy open. But he really isn't supposed to be open at all in man coverage. JA doesn't have time to look at people he thinks will be covered pre-snap.

Also Dawson Knox needs to be max protect. Holy h*** we're blocking 5 against 8 of course JA doesn't have time. Really just looks like an ugly play on both sides all around. I'd just say either Daboll or JA need to do better pre-snap against this look.

Clocks running too - He didn't panic, didn't burn a timeout, and got the ball to the boundary where his receiver should've made a play on it.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Jaraxxus said:

A turnover isn't a turnover unless the ball is, you know, turned over. Unless that somehow changed?

And where was I talking about TO's? I was specifically talking about fumbles, not whether his team mates got lucky and recovered some of the fumbles he lost.I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about his fumbles. And 11 in 9 games again is Inexcusable.

If you're going to quote me at least read what I'm saying and quote in the right manner.

33 minutes ago, Virgil said:

You know what scares the ***** out of me?  What if Allen wasn’t allow to run the ball within 10 yards of the goal line?   I get that’s our reality and part of why he was drafted.  But what would our record be if you took away those TD’s?  Would Daboll have found us a way in still?  

Half of his also don’t seem to be scripted.  

If Allen couldn’t run, we’d be talking about the QB class in the upcoming draft already.

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Does anyone know what each was?  Like how many are rushing vs. blindside vs. messed up snaps etc.  

They are main;ly coming from when he is running with the ball for the most part. A couple from the pocket. And defenses know he has trouble holding on to it. Expect a few more from here on out.

Edited by Patrick_Duffy
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

And where was I talking about TO's? I was specifically talking about fumbles, not whether his team mates got lucky and recovered some of the fumbles he lost.I'm SPECIFICALLY talking about his fumbles. And 11 in 9 games again is Inexcusable.

If you're going to quote me at least read what I'm saying and quote in the right manner.

The fumble at the goal line took about three lucky bounces for it to end up in Feliciano's arms past the 1st down marker. 

Those fortuitous bounces now avoid the discussion of Allen running straight at the defenders without a realistic shot of making a first down, instead of using the time and space on his left to allow his WRs to get open on a broken play.

• Like (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Patrick_Duffy said:

They are main;ly coming from when he is running with the ball for the most part. A couple from the pocket. And defenses know he has trouble holding on to it. Expect a few more from here on out.

I remember a fumbled snap against the jets, and i think he got blind side hit as he was throwing.  One against the bengals he legit tripped, fumbled, picked it up and completed it... so that ones kind of just a mess.