A Few Thoughts about the Browns Game, In no particular order

Virgil

14 minutes ago, dayman said:

Mayfield does not look very good but does look better than Allen. 

Does he? I posted this is in another thread but imagine OBJ was never traded and Mayfield's #1 and #2 receivers were Landry and Higgins, Njoku led the league in dropped passes, and Chubb got just 8 carries on the day. That's effectively our offense.

Just now, Sweats said:

Probably not, however, our offense wasn't doing a damn thing today........so why did we even bother going for it on 4th downs?

You’re not making much sense.  The percentage play is to go for it in those situations.  The fact that it didn’t work out doesn’t mean it was a bad call.  Our offense wasn’t particularly bad today, by the way; just about where we’ve been all year.

28 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

11. Lee Smith has to go. I don’t care how much of a locker room guy he is. He’s losing games for the Bills and has zero athleticism and zero football awareness. 10/10 on interviews, 0/10 gameplay. 

Yep the guy sucks- 2 penalties today - he must have over 10 on the year.

• Like (+1) 1

The 2 things I am going to take away from this game are numbers 6 & 7. 
I thought Tre was terrific today and I can’t remember the last time a team had 8 or 9 cracks at the end zone and came away with nothing. I thought we finally woke up then. I was wrong. 

9 minutes ago, Buffbills123 said:

My goodness. For everyone whining about Daboll and the third down play call, you do realize the QB has more than one read? Is this on Daboll? 

EJDFPg5WkAEYvng?format=jpg&name=large

Show the snapshot from before he decides to make the throw.  It's only a second sooner, but that can make a difference.

Regardless, Allen said in the post game that he audibles the fade but missed the throw.  I don't think Allen even look at another receiver after he snapped it.

On the 3rd down throw to Brown, Dawkins totally whiffed on his block. Allen had Beasley wide open checked up just beyond the first down line but if he had turned and looked there he'd have been sacked. LOTS of free runners coming at Josh today. Lots of inaccurate Josh today too without that kind of pressure. I get no sense of what this team's offense is besides a grab bag of willy nilly. The 3rd receivers are all like component parts but not good enough since they can't be combined. Smurfs like McKenzie and Roberts should not be out there together (I'm not thrilled seeing Roberts as a receiver at all).

Edited by BubbaT
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Show the snapshot from before he decides to make the throw.  It's only a second sooner, but that can make a difference.

Regardless, Allen said in the post game that he audibles the fade but missed the throw.  I don't think Allen even look at another receiver after he snapped it.

Well, there lies the problem.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

It does look like he missed a hot read, hitting Cole at the sticks.  

He’s also connected on that deep John Brown back shoulder throw this year, and Brown took ownership for messing up that play.  

Ideally you’d rather Allen diagnose better and throw to Cole, as he might have scored there, but that play was all sorts of hurried and he seemed to have been on the Brown read the entire way.  

Did the OL even know the ball was snapped!?? What awful execution for such an important play. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Virgil said:

the play was designed to go brown...see the thread linked above.