A Few Thoughts about the Browns Game, In no particular order

Virgil

It's hard sometimes to write these and not let my thoughts on the overall player or season creep in.  The purpose, as stated in the title, is to talk about the game as it was played, recognizing that things change from week to week in the NFL.  The other thoughts, and I assure you I have plenty of them, I think I'm going to put into another thread.  With that being said....

1 - People talk about passing yards as a stat like they are the golden key to quarterback success in the league.  By that logic, Allen had a career day today as he through for a career high in yards while adding two rushing touchdowns.  However, Allen had an off day and, in my opinion, his least accurate day of the season.  Granted, some players didn't help Allen out with drops, but he also was throwing at players bodies or behind them on catches that were made as well.  Allen, like the rest of the offense, never seemed to get into a good rhythm today.  When they seemed like they might get something going, they'd hit a brick wall in regards to some of the play calling.  His arm was on display as he made some great 10+ yard passes that were on a rope.  He did fumble again, but I'm not going to hold that against him unless he loses it.  Allen's deep ball is also something that still hasn't come back to him, which is a major frustration point for many, especially since he's proven capable of this in the previous season.  Two of his deep balls seemed like prayers to me, but Allen missed a wide open McKenzie that would have absolutely been a touchdown.  As for the final throw on 3rd and 4, I'd love to know if that was Allen calling that play or Daboll. 

2 - Either the play calling is bad or the execution.  As the game goes on, if the execution isn't there, then it's the coordinators job to adjust to what's working for his players.  Today, that was the deep ball on 3rd and short.  I remember at least three times where we took deep shots on 3rd and 4 or less, most importantly at the end of the game.  Why that play was called when the offense showed zero ability to execute that type of play all game and season is beyond me.  More so, on multiple plays with less than 5 yards to go, I didn't see Beasley, Singletary, or Knox running any form of shallow or crossing routes.  There's been talk of Daboll trying to be too smart or cute on certain plays, but it seemed like the Bills didn't call plays that either matched their situation nor success rate this game.

3 - This thought fits somewhere into the first two, but I'm not sure where to put it.  In previous years, if the Bills were so much as in a 1st and 15, they might as well have brought out the punt team.  In this offense, the team shows up at their best in those situations.  On 1st and 25, Allen made two great throws to get us to 3rd and 4.  Then, we take a deep shot, miss it, and punt the ball.  This series is a perfect microcosm of our offense today.  The talent and ability is there, the execution and rhythm to keep it going is not.  Our quarterback is a gunslinger.  Our primary receiver is a burner.  Our second receiver is a possession guy who works himself into space.  Our halfback has one of the best averages per touch in the league.  We didn't play to our strengths enough to get or maintain any of those skills.

4 - “I’ve been this close and I ain’t stoppin’ and neither should you. This is a road block. You got two choices. It can drive you to be better or you can sit here and sulk. I want guys in our program that get hungry.” 

5 - I don't like to look at the box score after a game.  I like to write what I saw, let one of you correct me, then fix it.  For this game I had to look and I couldn't believe that Singletary only had 8 carries.  He had more passes thrown his way, but 8 carries?  I don't know their rank, but I'm pretty sure the Browns are one of the worst teams against the rush in the league and Singletary showed some good moves today.  Not giving him the ball more was a sin against football, especially after the week he had against the Redskins last week.  Like I said with points 2 and 3, we failed to utilize one of our better weapons today.  Also, Oliver's name wasn't anywhere on the box score.

6 - Tre played a hell of a game today for a guy who was asked to do a lot.  It would be easy to look at OBJ's numbers this season and say that Tre did what everyone else did.  Today was different because the Browns were doing everything in their power to get OBJ involved.  I'm not sure how many targets he had, but he only caught 4 of them I think.  Tre made a smart penalty in the end zone, because he got beat, but overall shut him down.  I think the longest catch OBJ had was when the Bills swapped to zone and Tre wasn't within 15 yards of him.  I've been a big Milano fan, who also showed off some good stuff today, but Tre is now my MVP for the season and definitely this game.

7 - Regardless of the outcome of the game and what you think about the overall unit, that goal line stand of 8 consecutive plays were the Browns couldn't get a positive yard was amazing.  The Browns tried every type of play they had for that situation and the Bills shut down all of them.  I'd be curious to know if there's a record for plays in situations like that as I'd like to think the Bills had it or were close.  Great job of shutting them down today in those situations, even if they did give one up at the end.  I don't blame Wallace on that TD as he was left on an island where only he and the receiver were on that side of the end zone.  With that much time, the receiver usually gets open.

8 - If Darnold saw ghosts against the Patriots, Mayfield has been living in the Poltergeist house this season.  I've seen many games where he takes off from the pocket too early or sees a blitz that isn't there, forcing early throws.  Safety aside, great job by Edmunds, Mayfield had very little pressure on him.  In the beginning of the game, he was taking 10-12 step drops to give himself space.  As the game went one, he was able to sit in the pocket fairly clean.  Our front 4 didn't generate much of a pass rush today against an offensive line that's been shaky at best.  I'm sure McD will call it gap execution, but they also were opening up holes.  We did miss some tackles again today, one really bad by Edmunds, but this highly paid defensive line had another poor showing today.  If you want to know what a solid pass rush looks like, simply watch Miles Garrett in this game. He blew up double team blocks and came up big in crucial times.

9 - I really hope this is the Bojo we will see for the rest of the season.  He's been crushing punts lately and really helped in the field position game today.  Genuinely impressed with the kid who I thought wouldn't last this long on the team.  I've heard rumor that his hold on the last field goal wasn't great as the laces were pointing west, but I don't know how much stock I put into that.  Hausch was a killer today.  I'm more upset about the missed field goal before half than I am at the end of the game.  I can't remember an NFL season that's had more kicker turnover within the active season than the current one, nor do I think Hausch should be cut because there isn't a clear successor available.   What's more interesting to me about our kicking game is that the McD didn't give him changes early in the game for long kicks.  From what I'm told, wind and field conditions weren't issues.  It felt like the confidence in Hausch wasn't there early and that was justified later in the game.  You never want to blame a game on the kicker, but on a team that struggles to put up 20+ points, we have to get more from him.

10 - Today was a tough loss as it will only add fuel to the first that the Bills can't beat a team with any semblance of talent.  It hurt more than any of the other losses because, despite all the things they did wrong, they still had the lead with 6 minutes left to go.  Then, in typically Bills fashion, our defense fell apart when it mattered most.  We thought we won the game once on the Hughes play, which I have a lot of thoughts about.  Then had them at 4th and short, took a timeout to get the call right, only to give up the biggest pass of the day.  Then, we Allen gets us downfield in two big plays and we get to relax a bit knowing we will at least tie the game.  A terrible, and I mean worst call of the season, call on 3rd and 4.  Then wide left.  For a boring game with poor execution, it turned into an emotional roller-coaster in the final 6 minutes.  Sadly, we played like the .500 team we've been the past month and found a way to lose a game that neither team had any business winning.

With that, we leave the factory of sadness and head off to Miami.  Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 14
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 11

The pass to brown I'm 3rd and 4 was supposed to be back shoulder, but brown read it wrong: he admitted as much in the post game presser.

This is the second game the special teams cost us.  House was trash.

Our o is obviously garbage.  Allen throws some bad balls, our wrs don't get much separation, and our online sucks.  Tackles not blocking on half the pass plays, and just so many penalties.  I'm counting Smith as ol here.

Worst of all, our OC is trash.  Just stinks.

He didn't realize singletery was good until the Redskins game, and just could not figure out a way to get him some advantage touches today.  He has got to go.

2 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

11. Lee Smith has to go. I don’t care how much of a locker room guy he is. He’s losing games for the Bills and has zero athleticism and zero football awareness. 10/10 on interviews, 0/10 gameplay. 

His name is mentioned way too much in penalties and he doesn't offset it with positive plays

Just now, Coach Tuesday said:

If McD wanted to fire Daboll tomorrow for the third and four calls alone, he’d be justified.

If he fired McD tomorrow, my wrist would be in so much pain later.

From all the high fives I'd give McD

• Haha (+1) 3

A few thoughts about your thoughts, in the order in which you presented them (which of course, was not particular order to begin with):

1. Agreed. Josh was bad today. Not his worst game of the season but not good at all. 

2. IMO it' more execution. Daboll isn't perfect and there are a few head scratches as there is with any play-caller but he gets guys open and there is opportunity. Josh is making him look bad. 

3. See above note. Daboll isn't that bad. Those guys have space to work with when we make these plays. 

4. No comment. 

5. Not a great point to address after defending Daboll but we were down most of the game and the truth of the matter is our Oline isn't that great. The passing game opens up our run game. If we pounded it like Rex he wouldn't have the efficiency he has. That said, he needs over 10 a game from now on for sure.

6. Tre is great.

7. Goal line stand was fantastic. 

8. Mayfield does not look very good but does look better than Allen. 

9. I refuse to comment on punting. Even when it is good.

10. Today's loss was soul crushing and puts us back in desperation mode. If we lose to an improving Miami team on the road next week, which is possible, we will be in full meltdown mode. 

Edited by dayman
  • Like (+1) 1

On a team starved for offense, not giving the ball to their most explosive offensive player is simply incomprehensible.

Singletary had three touches in the first half.   THREE.  The Browns were near dead last against the run coming into this game. 

What are they thinking?  I just don't get it...

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

To address some posters... the OL is not bad.  I question whether you watch other NFL teams if you think our OL is trash.  

As far Mayfield vs Allen goes.  I thought they both played decent.  Biggest difference, as usual, is the difference in playmakers.  Chubb is one of the best RBs in the league, Hunt came in where he left off and Landry destroyed us while we locked Tre up on Odell.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, dayman said:

A few thoughts about your thoughts, in the order in which you presented them:

1. Agreed. Josh was bad today. Not his worst game of the season but not good at all. 

2. IMO it' more execution. Daboll isn't perfect and there are a few head scratches as there is with any play-caller but he gets guys open and there is opportunity. Josh is making him look bad.  Deep throws are okay, when the result doesn't hurt you.  Kroft was non-existant today, Singletary had 8 carries.  He doesn't work with what he has

3. See above note. Daboll isn't that bad. Those guys have space to work with when we make these plays. If it's not working, then move away from it until it does

4. No comment. 

5. Not a great point to address after defending Daboll but we were down most of the game and the truth of the matter is our Oline isn't that great. The passing game opens up our run game. If we pounded it like Rex he wouldn't have the efficiency he has. That said, he needs over 10 a game from now on for sure. We were never down more than 9 points, and even that wasn't for long.  You can't abandon the run, especially against a team like the Browns

6. Tre is great.

7. Goal line stand was fantastic. 

1 minute ago, dayman said:

8.  Agree to disagree

9. I refuse to comment on punting. Even when it is good.

10. Today's loss was soul crushing and puts us back in desperation mode. If we lose to an improving Miami team on the road next week, which is possible, we will be in full meltdown mode. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Sweats said:

A couple times there if we had went for the FG instead of going for it on 4th down, we actually would have won the game..........think about that, let it all sink in and tell me again how good this team is.

What makes you think he would have made those?

• Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

*response to #2 above about where I say it's more execution than Daboll and you talk about deep throws and Kroft and Singletary. 

Daboll doesn't call the deep throw. He calls a play with a deep throw option. Allen is the one who throws it. Half the time, the guy is open and he misses. The other half he should have just gone elsewhere.

As for Kroft, he is literally invisible. He sucks. 

Singletary is a fine point but I'll stand by our overall balance on principle. The split between him and Gore needs to change and we could run a bit more for sure...but in general spreading it out and throwing it more is a good thing for this team and we shouldn't think otherwise just b/c Josh isn't getting it done. Ground and pound won't work just because Singletary has space to work with within our current scheme. Get him another 5 touches game by sitting Gore and keep the defense in nickle and spread out. 

Edited by dayman

1 minute ago, Virgil said:

What makes you think he would have made those?

All he needed was to make 1 FG.......just one to tie and 2 to win.

Who do we really think we are by going for it on 4th down twice in one game. It's not like the wind was a factor.

I don't get it.

18 minutes ago, colin said:

The pass to brown I'm 3rd and 4 was supposed to be back shoulder, but brown read it wrong: he admitted as much in the post game presser.

This seems to happen once a week now, John Brown comes out after the game and says he read a play wrong. Not sure if he's just playing the scapegoat for the cameras, but we do have to remember the offense is practically brand new this year. They're going to have some issues with miscommunication.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Sweats said:

A couple times there if we had went for the FG instead of going for it on 4th down, we actually would have won the game..........think about that, let it all sink in and tell me again how good this team is.

So you are sure Haushka would have made those kicks, huh?