When can we start to admit that the process failed?

ShipUPride

12 minutes ago, ShipUPride said:

This team is 100% McBeane's.  They're players, they're scheme, their results.  

I see a QB who cannot hit a throw down field.  Allen is having trouble with that, let me also add that some of our receivers have looked bad on those routes too. Goes both ways.

I see a QB who struggles to hold onto the ball.  Not sure what you are talking about here. Are you talking about the running plays Allen does?

I see an offensive scheme that is either too conservative or too aggressive, but rarely balanced. This I agree with. I do not understand what we are trying to do on offense.

I see draft picks not living up to either their potential our their drafted position.  Could you be more specific? Whom are you singling out?

I see a run defense that has had multiple 200 yard games against them. Yes, and that's troubling. However, they made adjustments last week and today, where it did not affect them in the long run.

I see a defense that doesn't take the ball away. This is becoming frustrating, especially after how they looked last season.

I see below average special teams units Are you singling out Hauschka here, or are you talking about the entire Special Teams unit? Because Bojorquez is playing better, in fact he played great today. Also Andre Roberts has been a solid/strong returner for us.

Overall, I see a plan that is failing.  I think you are overreacting.

• Thank you (+1) 1

McD just needs to start being honest.... interior defense needs to start stepping up vs “gotta look at the tape, maintain gap responsibility “.... gotta get after the QB. On offense they gotta start off faster, have more of a killer instinct and start using more of our weapons in a better fashion.

Cause the execute, maintain responsibility and wishing for plays back is starting to get old.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

"I spy with my little eye........................................a brutal week of threads".

Question:  What were most peoples preseason Bills record predictions?

If all you want to talk about are results and not the details of the game why come to a message board at all. It would just be a bunch of threads titled, “6-3!” And a bunch of responses “6-3!!!”

Fun.

• Like (+1) 2

This team starts and ends with whether or not they have picked the right QB.  I see regression in Allen since week one.  His clock is broken.  He rarely hits the route on time or in stride.  The worst long ball passer I have ever seen.  Of course the Bills are going to finish the season with Allen, but they may have to draft another one just in case.  

So far this draft is a bust.  The top 2 picks look awful: Ford and Oliver.  A finish of 8-8 or 9-7, whether they make the playoffs or not, is going to raise a lot of questions.  This team may not be as far along as we thought.  8-8  or 9-7 puts them right where they were before the new regime.  

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, dayman said:

Allen could easily be going to the bench next season. Agreed though, he's the only one who is going anywhere (hopefully, the bench). The others are fine, McD does a good job and Bean has done a very good job (minus the QB pick/trade). Even Daboll appears to do an OK job. 

If Beane didnt find the Quarterback then he failed.   Its the single most important part of his job.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

JFC.  Allen won this game for us, and then put us in a position to force overtime after the defense blew the lead he created.  He's going nowhere anytime soon.

All Allen requires to “win the game for us”

is the D holding teams to fewer than 14 points. Otherwise, Ds fault.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Sadly, even if they lost all the rest and went 6-10 McD would be back.  Beane probably doesn't have the authority to fire McDermott.  With this schedule, anything less than 10-6 should be considered a failure.  

I predict the Bills will make the playoffs.  And then I foresee McD and Frazier parting ways.  McD will take over the defensive play calling in the next couple of weeks, maybe even as soon as this week.  Daboll will get another year to develop Allen.  

21 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

6-3.  Lost a tough one today.  The only game we truly stunk this year was Philly.

i understand people get emotional after a loss.  But the reality is this:  Beane is going nowhere, McD is going nowhere.  Allen is going nowhere.  Daboll and McD need to have a heart to heart about using their young RB better.  

Some of your stuff is on point.  Some not.  But the plan is not failing because they lost a close game.

The more I step back and think logically about that last sequence today the less sense it makes. So no, it's not just people being emotional after a loss. Many posters including myself have been concerned with McDermott's decision making for a long long time. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

1 minute ago, MDH said:

If all you want to talk about are results and not the details of the game why come to a message board at all. It would just be a bunch of threads titled, “6-3!” And a bunch of responses “6-3!!!”

Fun.

How come you didn't answer my question?

I personally didn't use a number but at the start of the season I figured the Bills were a strong 8-8 team.

That's about where they are at now so I don't need to get all crazy posting.

2 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

If Beane didnt find the Quarterback then he failed.   Its the single most important part of his job.

Is it?  Or is he peers with the HC and will get the player the HC wants?  I bet the later seeing he was hired after the HC

Just now, Chemical said:

The more I step back and think logically about that last sequence today the less sense it makes. So no, it's not just people being emotional after a loss. Many posters including myself have been concerned with McDermott's decision making for a long long time. 

I agree on the last drive.  Not sure what they were thinking there.  I keep saying let Josh be Josh; he should have just spiked it there.  Don’t know if that was on him or the coaches.

11 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

If Allen goes to the Bench that means McD is getting fired. 

fact is He passed on Mahomes, Watson and Jackson for Allen. So if Allen gets Benched it should absolutely cost McConservative his Job. 

I'm not so sure on that alone. I think high draft picks are still on the Bubble as well that could affect or impact Beane and McD going forward. 

Edmunds looks all pro one play and HS player the next. I pray he gets more consistent. 

Oliver is a huge concern for me as well. I'm not sure what's going on after today. I seen him on the field 1 time today. 

Edited by Real McCoy

15 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

6-3.  Lost a tough one today.  The only game we truly stunk this year was Philly.

i understand people get emotional after a loss.  But the reality is this:  Beane is going nowhere, McD is going nowhere.  Allen is going nowhere.  Daboll and McD need to have a heart to heart about using their young RB better.  

Some of your stuff is on point.  Some not.  But the plan is not failing because they lost a close game.

Yes this is the reality.  I will bet $1,000 that McDermott and Beane get their full 5 years, barring a 1-3 win season next year.  

Also to anyone thinking Daboll is getting fired - that won’t happen either.  McDermott is very safe in his position and he’s not going to make a move.  

Say what you will, but McDermott and later Beane had a plan in 2017 and they are seeing the it through - the philosophy of “win now, win tomorrow.”   Many believe that internally the Bills are looking at 2020 as the big year to make a run.  That’s probably why they didn’t trade a 1st round pick for a soon-to-be FA like AJ Green or Mel Gordon.  

The only thing that didn’t go to plan was the fact that the Bills won too many games in 2017 and made the playoffs.   So they had to basically start their “rebuild” in 2018.  

You can argue they still overachieved by winning 6 games.   And they’ll likely win between 8-10 this year which you can argue is progress.  Even if they win 7 you can spin it as progress.

In 2020, let’s say they finish 6-10.  It’s a bad season but Terry loves McDermott and Beane.  Is he really going to want to start over?  Will he keep Beane and fire McDermott?  NO it won’t happen.  

If they go 6-10 he dusts off the Russ Brandon continuity statement and then McDermott is on the hot seat in year 5.  

But he will get a full 5 years barring some sort of catastrophe 

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

How come you didn't answer my question?

I personally didn't use a number but at the start of the season I figured the Bills were a strong 8-8 team.

That's about where they are at now so I don't need to get all crazy posting.

I thought they’d be 10-6. At this point I’d say they’re more likely to finish 9-7 and struggle to make the playoffs despite and all time cup cake schedule.

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Is it?  Or is he peers with the HC and will get the player the HC wants?  I bet the later seeing he was hired after the HC

It is.  And if he picked a player just because the head coach wanted him then he also isnt doing his job.   Use whatever excuse you want but Beane's job is to get the best players he can, especially at QB.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Hasn't failed, they are a year earlier than they expected. From all tangible reports next year was the full go year.

But next season the schedule already looks way tougher. So Pfffffft, to that “next year stuff.