Bills problem in a nutshell

Big Turk

I think the problem in a nutshell is not enough talent.  There was a column in BN today about how the Bills are ahead of schedule by some amount and they are beating the teams they should beat.  You certainly could argue that would mean a 6-2 team should beat a 2-6 team.  However as many stories and comments that the Bills are the worst 6-2, you could also say the Brown are the best 2-6 team. They lost today to a team that was projected to go deep into the playoffs with more talent.

And that to me is the problem, limited talent.  The 6-2 start has everyone excited however they are still likely a year away mainly on offense and pass rush.

3 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

This is McDermott's coaching style, it's why he rarely has any blowout wins and has too many blowout losses all the while only beating bad teams. He's a play not to lose coach. Play to not lose teams never win anything meaningful.

This is sad but true.    I wish he would just admit he's a defensive guy and the team leader but hand the entire offense INCLUDING go for it or punt decisions to a qualified offensive coordinator to run that entire side of the ball.   McD isn't qualified to run anything tactically on the offensive side.

It worked for Marv.

If Daboll is that guy then great, McD needs to do what all good CEO's do which is to know your weaknessses, and empower the best people in the world to fill in the holes and let them run it better than you ever could.  

4 hours ago, Chill said:

Play Jauron ball and most games will be tight.  We have to get the bounces and calls to succeed, which we usually do not. 

Margin of error is too tight to be consistently successful. We need a coaching change. 

So going for it twice on fourth down and FAILING wasnt enough to convince you he should have done it 3 times ??

5 hours ago, dayman said:

Bills problem in a nutshell: QB is not good enough to consistently apply pressure on the opposing team throughout the game and often hurts us. 

/topic

/season

If that’s the case, why don’t they run the ball more?  Isn’t that what McD said they needed to do?   The RBs had 14 carries and averaged 4.0 yards per carry while Allen had 41 pass attempts. I don’t get it.

11 hours ago, matter2003 said:

They leave themselves too small a margin of error on a week to week basis.

What i mean is that the team isn't able to give themselves enough breathing room to overcome many screw-ups...whether its turnovers, lack of offensive production, lack of defensive turnovers, bad special teams play, etc...

They always seem to find themselves in close games even against lesser opponents. Today they lost because they missed 2 FGs and because the kicker doesn't have enough of a leg anymore, realistically a 3rd because he forced McDermott to go for it on a 4th and 4 instead of trying a 50+ yard FG that 90% of the league would try.

They can't have a kicker who isn't ultra reliable. It just isn't going to work...they don't score enough points to overcome 2 or 3 FG misses in a game...

Ultimately the team just doesn't do enough to give themselves enough breathing room and that will likely be their downfall...either by missing the playoffs or they will lose in the playoffs due to it likely in the first round...

They don't have a QB, the defense sucks, the offense sucks, the kicker sucks.

The Bills problem is we are not using the best O weapon in Singltary nearly enough! This O should run through him with a little bit of Josh passing sprinkled in. He is the home run threat on the team, and we decided to make try and Make Josh do it all. JA is progressing. But if you want to win these games you go DS until they stop him, then throw a screen, then do an end around, Then run DS some more. Then after we are up 2 scores, start passing the ball. Take the pressure of Josh.

And stop the damn designed QB runs. Let Josh Run on busted plays because he excels at that. The damn designed runs are going to get him killed!

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, Bandito said:

As I posted before in a thread, this team isn't very good. We've had one of the easiest schedules in football. I want to be optimistic, but it is hard when you lay an egg against a 2-6 team. Quality playoff teams don't do that. I wouldn't be surprised if we lost to Miami next week.

The Baltimore Ravens beg to differ

1 hour ago, Buffalophil1948 said:

Game planning.  41 passes to 20 runs. Wtf, we are not going to beat anyone that way. Attacking a teams weakness in the 30th ranked run defense should be a no brainer.  

This is it.  The analysts and coaches make football out to be on par with physics.  Sometimes it's just as simple as exploiting obvious weaknesses and exerting your will and talent upon others.  Successful  teams make others adapt to their game plan and style of play, not the other way around.  This team is built for the run to open up the pass game.  This reminds me of the A. Reid Eagle teams post SB appearance in 04, pass 65% of the time against no matter what.  Why do the obvious when you're smarter than everyone else?  Reid was 4 games above .500 the remainder of his Eagles tenure, after 04.  McClappy was witness to all of it.  The one thing I don't understand though, is J. Johnson the DC of the time was aggressive.  Where is Sean's killer instinct?  The fact Singletary was not featured in the game plan is negligent.  Even as a rookie he's a minimum 15 touch a game guy.   

Edited by YodaMan79