Bills problem in a nutshell

Big Turk

They leave themselves too small a margin of error on a week to week basis.

What i mean is that the team isn't able to give themselves enough breathing room to overcome many screw-ups...whether its turnovers, lack of offensive production, lack of defensive turnovers, bad special teams play, etc...

They always seem to find themselves in close games even against lesser opponents. Today they lost because they missed 2 FGs and because the kicker doesn't have enough of a leg anymore, realistically a 3rd because he forced McDermott to go for it on a 4th and 4 instead of trying a 50+ yard FG that 90% of the league would try.

They can't have a kicker who isn't ultra reliable. It just isn't going to work...they don't score enough points to overcome 2 or 3 FG misses in a game...

Ultimately the team just doesn't do enough to give themselves enough breathing room and that will likely be their downfall...either by missing the playoffs or they will lose in the playoffs due to it likely in the first round...

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

Well, to boil it down....their defense isnt as good as everybody thought they were, and the young QB is still a work in progress, and he may turn out to be a dud. And, oh, today, clock management by the coaches was horrible at the end of the game. WHY on earth was a TO called coming off of the 2-minute warning break?

• Like (+1) 4

This is McDermott's coaching style, it's why he rarely has any blowout wins and has too many blowout losses all the while only beating bad teams. He's a play not to lose coach. Play to not lose teams never win anything meaningful.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

This ultimately comes back to lack of offense.

A defense cannot allow negative points.  The best they can do is zero, and I consider anything under 20 a pretty good performance.

But if the offense is always struggling to score more than 20, then games are ALWAYS going to be close.

• Like (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, wvbillsfan said:

Well part of that is the offenses inability to score points. Whatever you believe that reason to be, its hard to give yourself a margin of error without points on the board. 

I believe the lack of deep ball success plays a large role...its a lot harder to score when you have to drive 10 or 12 plays than it is when you can pick up 50 or 60 yards on a single play and turn those into 5 play drives.

If i had to bet i would say the Bills are top 5 highest in percentage of drives entering opponents territory that result in no points. They move the ball well until the opponent 40 or 45 yard line many times and then stall out...or get penalties...or self destruct some other way...

They also seem very successful at getting themselves into "No mans land" where its 4th and under 6 and too close to punt but too far for a FG. Surprisingly McDermott has been very aggressive at going for it there but i think this points to a bigger picture of losing confidence in Hauschka's ability to even reach that distance on  50+ yard FGs now let alone make them....

Edited by matter2003

1 minute ago, matter2003 said:

I believe the lack of deep ball success plays a large role...its a lot harder to score when you have to drive 10 or 12 plays than it is when you can pick up 50 or 60 yards on a single play and turn those into 5 play drives.

If i had to bet i would say the Bills are top 5 highest in percentage of drives entering opponents territory that result in no points. They move the ball well until the opponent 40 or 45 yard line many times and then stall out...or get penalties...or self destruct some other way...

They also seem very successful at getting themselves into "No mans land" where its 4th and under 6 and too close to punt but too far for a FG. Surprisingly McDermott has been very aggressive at going for it there but i think this points to a bigger picture of losing confidence in Hauschka's ability to even reach that distance on  50+ yard FGs now let alone make them....

The aggressiveness by McDermott on 4th down is a breathe of fresh air and why he can’t be consider Dick Jauron but it’s just not being repayed by the offense. 

• Haha (+1) 1