Hughes non-TD

pennstate10

18 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

It was the right call. That is why every team runs those plays. Takes the Fumble out of Play. And it was forward Baker was deeper than Hunt and ball went thru Hunts arms 

I'm digging the new avatar.  What was the bet and who was it with?

17 minutes ago, Beach said:

i just watched the replay over and over.  its not the best angle but it looks like the ball initially moves forward after leaving his hand.  so only a or b from the rule definition needs to occur. part a occured.  the call was correct.

If it initially moves forward, unless it is a boomerang or it is the wind, it cannot end up backward when Hunt is touching it - which is what appears to happen. The only explanation can be that the camera was moving.

It is much better to use the line on the field to make the determination of whether it is moving forward or backward.

Edited by IgotBILLStopay

14 hours ago, frostbitmic said:

When I saw it at full speed I thought we just won the game. As soon as I saw the replay I knew it was coming back.

My first two emotions exactly - but now I have watched many times in slow motion and I cant make out at all that the ball is moving forward. I am now more inclined to believe they shoulda let the call stand.

18 hours ago, pennstate10 said:

I don't know shooter. 

In the clip you linked, you can't see the ball the instant it leaves his hand. But it looks like the release point is just over the yard line, and the ball hits the ground just at the yard line. If it's a millimeter behind, then it's a backward pass, by definition. 

How could the officials a be so certain that the ball went forward. Certainly not based on that clip. 

I will go even further. It has to be a millimeter ahead for it to be a forward pass.Parallel is still a lateral.

16 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

If it initially moves forward, unless it is a boomerang or it is the wind, it cannot end up backward when Hunt is touching it - which is what appears to happen. The only explanation can be that the camera was moving.

It is much better to use the line on the field to make the determination of whether it is moving forward or backward.

if hunt touches it then part b of the rule comes into play making it a forward pass

(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

Edited by Beach

5 minutes ago, Beach said:

if hunt touches it then part b of the rule comes into play making it a forward pass

(b) the ball first strikes the ground, a player, an official, or anything else at a point that is nearer the opponent’s goal line than the point at which the ball leaves the passer’s hand(s).

yes and it is not clear that point is ahead of Mayfield's release point