Hughes non-TD

pennstate10

1 hour ago, cle23 said:

That type of play has become a trend for that exact reason. It's a pass that's basically a run, but if it doesn't connect, it's not a fumble. Every team has some variation of it.

Thank you.

There is a reason why teams run this play in this manner.

The whole thing hinges around the idea that if the "exchange" is somehow botched, it is a dead play and an incomplete pass.

• Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, jamiezzz said:

Jeez.  Not a fumble.  Team is overrated, and no where near a legit team.  Hoping they get there in a couple years, but coaching and QB play is holding them back.

You say not a fumble and then go into some nonsensical offtopic rant about how the Bills suck. Back your argument up. Stick to the thread topic. There are plenty of other threads about if the Bills are good or not out there.

Edited by Bferra13

16 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I selfishly want to argue it didn’t go forward but that play is a point of emphasis and that is exactly why teams are running it this year. Always going to be called incomplete even if it SHOULD be ruled fumble unfortunately.

I understand the play is designed with that intent, but this particular execution of the play was so badly botched that Baker ended up tossing a lateral instead of a slightly forward pass. I’m thinking Hunt came across field further back than he was supposed to and Baker reacted by sending it slightly backwards instead of the design of a slightly forward pass.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, pennstate10 said:

I get it wasn't a fumble. 

Was it a forward pass?

from the views shown, it looked like the ball went straight down, not forward, from the instant it left his hand.

in which case it was a backward pass, recoverable by the defense. 

I was just happy to see that Jerry Hughes has been released by his Iranian captors.  I was starting to get worried.

Letter of the Law - forward pass (which is the only reason we see that play in the first place)

Spirit of the Law - fumble - but it doesn’t matter because by the rule it’s a pass. Stupid but true. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I selfishly want to argue it didn’t go forward but that play is a point of emphasis and that is exactly why teams are running it this year. Always going to be called incomplete even if it SHOULD be ruled fumble unfortunately.

If the qb tosses the ball just slightly forward it's incomplete, which is why the designed play is considered safe.  Baker botched this by tossing the ball straight up.

Now if ppl think the ball traveled forward... fine, but I didn't see a replay angle that showed anything close to justify reversing the call.  What if Baker continued the motion and threw the ball over his head?  Obviously there is a point when this would result in a fumble.. that point is forward vs. not-forward.

12 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I understand the play is designed with that intent, but this particular execution of the play was so badly botched that Baker ended up tossing a lateral instead of a slightly forward pass. I’m thinking Hunt came across field further back than he was supposed to and Baker reacted by sending it slightly backwards instead of the design of a slightly forward pass.

I thought so too but the replay angles they showed on broadcast were terrible 

Just now, Success said:

That was the correct call, by a mile.  I was just hoping for some Music City Miracle karma from the refs, but they called it right.

Example: An overhand lateral towards the sideline that is dropped = a fumble. 

A lateral is defined from the point at which the ball leaves your hand to the point it hits the ground

How is this different?

I'm surprised so many think that was a fumble. This play isn't a new thing this year. This has happened to a lot of teams going back to last season at least and I've heard the in booth ref explain exactly why it's an incomplete pass so many times including today. 

As long as the QB catches the snap he can toss it underhand straight up in the air and it would be considered a forward pass. It does not have to actually go forward. Now if the QB tosses it backwards then it would be a fumble. That is why they never just hand it to the WR, its always tossed so it's considered a pass. 

I was so excited that we sealed the game but as soon as the 1st replay i knew it was coming back. 

Edited by Maybe Someday

31 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

The thing that made it close was that he underhanded it up in the air. If you notice, most QBs, like JA, throw that pass overhand, which is a clearer forward pass.

no they really don’t. Most Push it or flip it just like Baker did. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

I'm not sure why this play has justified 4 pages of commentary.

It really wasn't a very unusual or controversial play.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I'm not sure why this play has justified 4 pages of commentary.

It really wasn't a very unusual or controversial play.

because some are looking for anything to put the blame somewhere besides the team and coaching staff being out coached by the worse HC in the NFL. 

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

by overhand, I meant push. Almost all of them push it— that seems easier to see as a forward pass. He tossed it underhanded straight up in the air. I’m not saying that was “wrong”— but it made it closer to not being forward.