Josh Allen - week TEN report card

rayray808

1 hour ago, Chris66 said:

No there definitely isnt. The we was refferring to the majority of the board. Still doesnt change the wash rinse repeat of the blame the coaching staff routinely gets

You switched pronouns from “you” (accurate) to “we” mid post.  Just wanted to clarify.

It’s a paradox.  On the one hand, a constant coaching carousel is a recipe for continual bad to mediocre teams.

On the other hand, as the Demotivator says “Consistency: it’s only a virtue if you aren’t a screw-up”.

I would like to believe that McDermott and Beane know what they’re doing but a game like this has me totally second guessing that.

2 hours ago, Buffbills123 said:

Mckenzie was wide open.  It was a great decision.  What am I missing?

Situational football

Putting your specific players in position to succeed given their specific weaknesses and strengths

Playing overall percentages

Situational football/playing percentages: We needed 4 yards.  4 yards moves the chains and gets us a new set of downs to take shots on.  A long bomb is always a lower percentage throw.  Miss and you’re off the the field with a defense that has been both amazingly tough at times, but frog-marched backwards down the field towards the goal they’re defending at others.  Get the first down, then take the shot.

Player specific strengths/weaknesses: Allen has been struggling with those passes to the point where it’s gonna become a hang-up with him if it isn’t already.  So why put him in a situation he’s been struggling with, on a key down and manageable distance?  Get the first down, then let him take a shot when he’ll get a re-do.

Look at it this way.  Maybe there’s a situation where a QB draw would be the perfect play.  If your QB is Philip Rivers, who has the mobility of a statue, calling a QB draw will not put him in a position to succeed.  Dial up a different play.  This is my frustration with Daboll.  He doesn’t seem able to look at the players he actually have and scheme to their strengths in a situationally appropriate way.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Situational football

Putting your specific players in position to succeed given their specific weaknesses and strengths

Situational football/playing percentages: We needed 4 yards.  4 yards moves the chains and gets us a new set of downs to take shots on.  A long bomb is always a lower percentage throw.  Miss and you’re off the the field with a defense that has been both amazingly tough at times, but frog-marched backwards down the field towards the goal they’re defending at others.  Get the first down, then take the shot.

Player specific strengths/weaknesses: Allen has been struggling with those passes to the point where it’s gonna become a hang-up with him if it isn’t already.  So why put him in a situation he’s been struggling with, on a key down and manageable distance?  Get the first down, then let him take a shot when he’ll get a re-do.

Look at it this way.  Maybe there’s a situation where a QB draw would be the perfect play.  If your QB is Philip Rivers, who has the mobility of a statue, calling a QB draw will not put him in a position to succeed.  Dial up a different play.  This is my frustration with Daboll.  He doesn’t seem able to look at the players he actually have and scheme to their strengths in a situationally appropriate way.

I am not just referring to the Mckenzie play in my criticism of Allen.  There is more than one read per play.  I do not believe it is fair to cast blame on the OC when the QB misses a wide open layup for a touchdown and there was also underneath options available. 

11 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Situational football

If instead Daboll designed a crossing route that would have gotten us a 1st down but the ball was dropped, you’d blame the receiver and say he needs to make that play right? 

A deep ball is a low percentage play but it was there to be made. It shouldn’t be asking too much of a guy who was drafted 7th overall to hit a wide open receiver running deep. I haven’t seen the replay of the All-22 yet but Allen needs to make those throws. I have criticized Daboll plenty but I can’t blame him when a TD was there to be had.

Edited by Bangarang
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffbills123 said:

I am not just referring to the Mckenzie play in my criticism of Allen.  There is more than one read per play.  I do not believe it is fair to cast blame on the OC when the QB misses a wide open layup for a touchdown and there was also underneath options available. 

Yeah one of the main jobs of the OC is to design plays where people are open. I think he is doing that to an extent. 

5 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

WEEK 7: B

WEEK 8: D+

WEEK 9: B+

WEEK 10: B-

22/41 - 54% - 266 yards, 28 yards rushing, 2 rushing TDʻs

Today is a tough one to grade because of all of the bad things we saw across the board as a team. However this report card is about Josh Allen and not our kicker so here we go:

The good: Stayed poised and never looked like the moment was too big for him. Continues to make the throws necessary to move the chains WITHIN THE PLAY THAT IS CALLED ON THE FIELD. I think that portion is crucial as we had a few third down plays where he didn't seem to have good options to extend the play. On his first rushing TD, he saw that the field was wide open in the middle and took what the defense gave. No INTʻs today. The last pick he threw was in week 4 against the Pats.

The bad: The long ball is officially a concern for me. I almost want him to throw one next week that is close to the WR even if it gets picked off. It seems he is so worried about not throwing an INT that he lost the ability to make plays down the field with his arm. 

The ugly: With Josh Allen you can push stats like today aside if one thing happens... we win. When we donʻt win, you look at a QB (and offensive system) that has major things to work on. Yes, this is their first time playing together as a unit this season as almost everyone is brand new. However, in todayʻs NFL you have to be able to put more points on the board if you want to win games. 54% completion percentage just wonʻt cut it. Yes, there were some major drops which again is a sign that our offense needs some upgrades as Josh Allen improves as a QB. Also, I havenʻt begun to process the fumbling issues.

Simply put: Josh Allen did not lose this game for us, but he didn't win it either.

GO BILLS!

I disagree. The moment did look too big for him. The team needed more from that position. 

I just dont understand this grading system. If what we saw today was a B- wtf does an aaron rodgers 400yard 4td no int 25/30 game get for a grade?

This grading system is made up for josh to get good grades.  Teachers pet style. Im not saying he was bad today but B-?!?! Rayray! Come on mang!

• Like (+1) 1

A tad ridiculous how he's seen as a bust. I sure hope he finally connects on some deep balls, that has to be the weirdest and worst element of his play this year. He would have been over that soooooo important (to some of you) 300 passing yards mark in at least 2 games if not 3, had he hit some of those deep throws. Of course he did NOT, but the point is, that it is for Daboll or Josh, they are not as bad as some of you make them out to be. Frustrating? Underachieving? Mind scratching? Below expectations? For sure! But a bust? Are you nuts? The Bills are 6-3 and have not been blown up except the Redskins game. Josh has thrown only one pick in the last 5 games! There are lots of legit points of concern as far as becoming an elite QB, but he's no bust! 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 1

the 29th & 30th ranked QB in passer rating and total QBR gets a big fat "D"

hes a better runner than passer and if he was a RB he'd be cut for how many times he fumbles.

stop with all the excuses about play calling.....hes not executing the ones that are called and still not reading defenses fast enough

• Like (+1) 1

I think Josh's biggest issue right now is pre-snap reads. He's taking way too long to decide where to go with the ball. Too many times you'll see that a receiver is open early, only to run into coverage during their route. Also, where are all the NE style quick slants? I thought that was why Beasley was brought in for.

52 minutes ago, MikeSpeed said:

I think Josh's biggest issue right now is pre-snap reads. He's taking way too long to decide where to go with the ball. Too many times you'll see that a receiver is open early, only to run into coverage during their route. Also, where are all the NE style quick slants? I thought that was why Beasley was brought in for.

Criminally underused... check the last play on offense where he is wide open for 1st down and probably 10-15 yards.

On 11/10/2019 at 6:06 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That’s really pretty far afield, I think, from anything I said.  What part of “yes, that was a big mistake” wasn’t sufficiently clear?

I think it's the part that Allen IS their most successful rushing option, so there is nothing wrong with him rushing it. It's also not anyone else's fault that Allen's rushing has been far more successful than Allen's passing.

Maybe if Allen was better at passing, the Bills would have better options than Allen running.

Bills were three point underdogs at kickoff last week for a reason.  After the coach deferred to get his defense on the field, the D proceeded to allow a drive straight up the field for an easy score, putting Allen and the offense in an immediate hole.  Despite that Allen did enough to put his team in position to win.   That is not the same as putting the team on his shoulders and getting the win on the force of his will. But that is a lot to expect from a second year QB..Doing enough for your team to win feels like a B to me. 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

You are being incredibly generous with those grades. I'd hesitate to grade Allen a B- on his best days. Some folks just refuse to believe their eyes.

Just rereading this thread again, I think B- is a bit much for the Cleveland game.

I suppose it all depends how your grading him, what your comparing him to etc. 

He didn't have an effect on the team that could propel them to a win. There wasn't the presence there that I would want. I see good throws on the highlights but I never got the sense he would win the game for us.