Josh Allen - week TEN report card

rayray808

35 minutes ago, dubs said:

?

he didn’t play well by most standards.  260 yards on 41 pass attempts, zero TDs, 14 total points on offense. That’s not good. 

0 turnovers and 2 rushing TDs.  Those dont count???  

He once again put us in position to tie or win the game.  He made throws when it counted.  You guys need a new talk track. 

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Overall, no he didn’t but even the praise-chary McDermott noted that Allen did some good things in the game, including some good throws he wouldn’t have made last year.

Where I thought he took a step back today was his passes on the move where I felt that he had been excelling at his ball placement.

Allen has me baffled at times particularly when he makes some of the easier passes look hard - like the 8-10 yd drag routes. But I think it all comes down to someone whose muscle-memory has been trained to throw heaters to a spot vs dropping passes with anticipation in front of his moving target. I have seen him throw some beautiful deep ones down the sideline last year that were in and out of the hands of his receiver so I don't know if he is over-thinking the mechanics right now, but it's not there.

I have seen some improvement with a variety of Allen's passes and folks can agree to disagree, and I think because of his arm strength the passes Allen struggles to make makes sense as they are things I would expect him to struggle with. So this is where I think he is at: Come-back routes - money, receiver finding a spot and sitting in a zone - money, deep outs where he is throwing it outside a hash on a timing route - pretty good to very good if receivers can hang on, slants and posts - getting better, throwing a running receiver open on a drag or go route - long way to go still.

And I think the reason our screens are not working is because defenses are playing disciplined trying to keep Allen in the pocket, that means that they are not going to run up the field with abandon. The ends stay home and they can easily sniff those out - they may not ever work very well for us.

R

• Like (+1) 1

If play designs are resulting in WRs wide open for game-changing touchdowns and your QB can’t hit it, that’s not on the OC.  In fact, the OC should be praised. 

I’ve seen this before.  First the OC gets blamed, until the kool aid drinkers realize it was the QB all along.  

JA is going to be a bust. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Buffbills123 said:

If play designs are resulting in WRs wide open for game-changing touchdowns and your QB can’t hit it, that’s not on the OC.  In fact, the OC should be praised. 

I’ve seen this before.  First the OC gets blamed, until the kool aid drinkers realize it was the QB all along.  

He may be a bust.  But if what you need is 4 yards to move the chains and you go for a deep bomb, that’s a Bad Decision by someone.

The reason the WCO and EP systems gained popularity over the vertical passing systems is because the long deep passes have always been low percentage throws - for every QB

• Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Blame Daboll.

We should, horrible play design for 3rd & 4 when you knew they would bring pressure. Daboll, absolutely 0 situational awareness...And why isn’t a Brown breaking off that route when they are rushing 7? Plenty of blame to go around here...

Edited by Meatloaf63

2 minutes ago, Buffbills123 said:

Bern like that for 15 years. Blame the coaching. Then when you get new coaches. The first thing they do is turn over the roster. Then the story becomes how were we expected to win without talent

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

He may be a bust.  But if what you need is 4 yards to move the chains and you go for a deep bomb, that’s a Bad Decision by someone.

The reason the WCO and EP systems gained popularity over the vertical passing systems is because the long deep passes have always been low percentage throws - for every QB

Mckenzie was wide open.  It was a great decision.  What am I missing?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Um, let’s be straight, there is no “we” here.

No there definitely isnt. The we was refferring to the majority of the board. Still doesnt change the wash rinse repeat of the blame the coaching staff routinely gets

I can't be the only one who sees the irony that  3/4 of this board used to piss and moan that we didn't throw the ball enough as we led the league in rushing and scored roughly 24/25 points a game.  Now we still have a QB who's probably more of a scoring threat running than passing and average under 20 points a game.   I still think Allen will get better.  I thought the problem then was horrible pass catchers  and  no defense and the problem now is mediocre OL talent and growing pains at QB.  Hauscka choking in all the close games (NE and CLV) isn't helping.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Maine-iac said:

I can't be the only one who sees the irony that  3/4 of this board used to piss and moan that we didn't throw the ball enough as we led the league in rushing and scored roughly 24/25 points a game.  Now we still have a QB who's probably more of a scoring threat running than passing and average under 20 points a game.   I still think Allen will get better.  I thought the problem then was horrible pass catchers  and  no defense and the problem now is mediocre OL talent and growing pains at QB.  Hauscka choking in all the close games (NE and CLV) isn't helping.

The problem with those offenses is we were mostly one dimensional. We couldn’t pass when we needed to. Our running game had to carry us on a weekly basis and it’s why Tyrod was shipped out of here. 

The deep ball throws are frustrating on all sorts of levels. But its almost as if he's afraid to throw a catchable ball downfield.

This season its got to be pretty darn close to every deep throw of 35 yards or more where he overthrows the WR by 5+ yards.

Once or twice i'd say he was just over excited or misjudged it. But he misses by too much far too often for it not to be something systemically wrong he's doing with those throws.

Only thing that makes sense is that he's too concerned about throwing a pick or something. And thats either from coaching or just whats going on inside his head.

But yes, we could use another wr like we could use upgrades at other positions too. And Daboll hasn't been perfect either, but truth is there are wr's open all the time that Allen just doesn't see or he chooses not to throw to. So i'm not one to blame the scheme or Daboll. Its just a matter of dealing with the growing pains with the rawest QB from his draft thats still learning. Even with all that, Allen still put us in a position to win the game & with that, there's still hope.

I'm not ready to call him a bust or anything like that yet

• Like (+1) 1

B- for the Browns game?  No way. 

It is time to stop looking at only at stats and give Josh the eye test.

For today:

Deep ball - F  (not close, not one ball within a foot of a receiver)

Medium range passes - F (no completions over 20 yards today)

Short passing - C

Overall accuracy - D.  I don't care if he completes 60% of his passes when the receiver continually has to stop his route and adjust to catch the ball.  There were drops but most of the time the receiver is forced to adjust, think about the sideline, or think about not getting killed because Josh's passes are off target.  He simply does not hit the receiver in stride enough.  So while his accuracy as a function of completion percentage is good, but when you look at the throws he makes, and the ones he misses, you can see an accuracy problem.  It is obvious. 

Decision making - C+ .  He did some good things sometimes.  Made some key runs, and did not throw any picks.

Pocket Presence - D.  He is blitzed a lot because he shows he cannot read a blitz and react.   Read the blitz and hit the hot receiver quickly, make them pay.  There is still too much running around and too little stepping up in the pocket and letting the ball go.  He is still not adept at making a defense pay for blitzing by a quick read and react --- instead he can sometimes generate a broken play scramble were he uses his incredible athletic gifts to make a play.  There is a controlled way to handle blitzes and at some point he needs to learn this and make the game a bit easier.   

Ball protection - D.  another fumble that could have killed a drive. 

Running - B  Best part of his game.  He should run more designed plays and less improvised plays.  He plays better overall, when he makes plays with his feet.  It gets him flowing better. 

Two minute drill  F - abysmal use of sideline, and time management.  Never has two plays ready back to back.  Never works from no huddle with at the line play calls   (This criticism could be more on DaBoll ). 

Overall = D  Given his performance today, and that of the offense in general, we could have only won  today with great defense, good special teams, and some turnovers.  We got very good defense, poor kicking, and no turnovers so we fell short. 

Note:  I am a Josh Allen fan, and I am pulling for him.  I just am seeing him more clearly after a full season of games over the past two seasons.  He still has a lot to learn, and he needs more help from the coaches and better players around him. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, MDH said:

Throwing the deep ball short of the WR has a good shot at getting the pass interference call or your WR making a play. Throwing it 5-10 yards in front is just a long throw away.

Give your f’n WRs a chance to make a play. It’s so infuriating.

It doesn’t matter if you have a bazooka for an arm if there’s no targeting system.

This, a big arm means nothing if you can not throw accurately, and Josh has not thrown accurately all year with the deep pass

10 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

B- for the Browns game?  No way. 

It is time to stop looking at only at stats and give Josh the eye test.

For today:

Deep ball - F  (not close, not one ball within a foot of a receiver)

Medium range passes - F (no completions over 20 yards today)

Short passing - C

Overall accuracy - D.  I don't care if he completes 60% of his passes when the receiver continually has to stop his route and adjust to catch the ball.  There were drops but most of the time the receiver is forced to adjust, think about the sideline, or think about not getting killed because Josh's passes are off target.  He simply does not hit the receiver in stride enough.  So while his accuracy as a function of completion percentage is good, but when you look at the throws he makes, and the ones he misses, you can see an accuracy problem.  It is obvious. 

Decision making - C+ .  He did some good things sometimes.  Made some key runs, and did not throw any picks.

Pocket Presence - D.  He is blitzed a lot because he shows he cannot read a blitz and react.   Read the blitz and hit the hot receiver quickly, make them pay.  There is still too much running around and too little stepping up in the pocket and letting the ball go.  He is still not adept at making a defense pay for blitzing by a quick read and react --- instead he can sometimes generate a broken play scramble were he uses his incredible athletic gifts to make a play.  There is a controlled way to handle blitzes and at some point he needs to learn this and make the game a bit easier.   

Ball protection - D.  another fumble that could have killed a drive. 

Running - B  Best part of his game.  He should run more designed plays and less improvised plays.  He plays better overall, when he makes plays with his feet.  It gets him flowing better. 

Two minute drill  F - abysmal use of sideline, and time management.  Never has two plays ready back to back.  Never works from no huddle with at the line play calls   (This criticism could be more on DaBoll ). 

Overall = D  Given his performance today, and that of the offense in general, we could have only won  today with great defense, good special teams, and some turnovers.  We got very good defense, poor kicking, and no turnovers so we fell short. 

Note:  I am a Josh Allen fan, and I am pulling for him.  I just am seeing him more clearly after a full season of games over the past two seasons.  He still has a lot to learn, and he needs more help from the coaches and better players around him. 

I'm with you. D grade.looked pretty bad to me.  If you cant accurately hit a reciever deep from time time it's a problem, much less the bad short throws