Josh Allen - week TEN report card

rayray808

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Overall, no he didn’t but even the praise-chary McDermott noted that Allen did some good things in the game, including some good throws he wouldn’t have made last year.

I totally agree. He did do some nice things. But it feels as if he’s plateaued.  I don’t know, maybe I’m expecting too much at this point. 

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

They will have to make a decision on Allen at some point. 

Pegula will have to do that IMO, McDermott and Beane are not going away from Allen. When Allen is relieved of his starting QB duties, McDermott and Beane will be gone as well. All or nothing proposal.

1 minute ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Not today and not the people on here making it.

If the shoe fits where it

That's just as well then. ?. No decisions should be made at 6-3.

If it's still the case later in the season that Allen, Ford, Oliver, Edmunds are struggling Beane and folks will know their jobs are on the line in the not so distant future. 

9 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

When has a 1st round project QB ever planned out?

Well, early days yet, but Jackson was for reals a project and it looks as though Jackson may pan out.

But they are definitely supporting him and designing an offense to his strengths.

Alex Smith would be another case I guess -a 1st round pick who was felt to be a huge bust until Harbaugh took over and again, designed the offense to his strengths - using the same OC who is now working for brother Harbaugh with Jackson.

2 minutes ago, london_bills said:

Interesting. I definitely watched a different game. 

In the game I watched I saw some excellent throws, throws that I'm not sure all starting calibre NFL QBs can make. I also saw today, as I have in the past, a number of passes to open receivers that, while catchable, had placement that was bad enuf to unnecessarily increase the degree of difficulty, resulting in incompletions and lost YAC opportunities. And as for his long ball, I really don't know what is going on there. But I think there is a dearth of QB friendly throws that could also be productive with too much weight being placed on Allen's shoulders to execute an aggressive pass happy attack. Neither Allen nor his complement of skill position players are capable of that right now. This is not the greatest show on turf. Allen may never make it but Daboll and McD are not doing him any favours.

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

McD trusted a kicker who has been horrible more than Allen. Either Allen isn’t good, McD is clueless or both. I’m losing confidence in both more each week

The feeling I get is that the game plans are geared toward what the other defense does rather than the strengths of Allen.  It seems the offense is playing with the parking brake on.  This is a reflection on the head coach.  With an easy schedule for the first 8 games, the offense rarely tried to put a team away.  Coach cautious is a buzz kill

3 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

Gotta agree.

Allen didn't fail today...he delivered under constant pressure and no run game.

The coaching sucked today.

Defense surrendered a TD drive after Allen got them a 4pt lead.

Kicker missed two field goals that Allen had nice drives to get within range.

People harp on the deep ball too much. It's a low percentage play that doesn't hit all that often. I'd like to see it hit , but it's not the end all be all that many make it to be. I also think he's still working on it and it will come around. 

He needs to do better on the long ball to be a difference-maker. But I think it’s much harder to improve the intermediate throws, footwork, and pocket presence, which he has shown continual improvement in. Once a one or two of them connect, he will feel more confident and natural in that part of his game. The red zone offense (1st in the league), progress in decision making, and his never-give-up mentality show that he can be special. How many 2nd-year QBs have succeeded with 9 new starters on offense?

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

In the game I watched I saw some excellent throws, throws that I'm not sure all starting calibre NFL QBs can make. I also saw today, as I have in the past, a number of passes to open receivers that, while catchable, had placement that was bad enuf to unnecessarily increase the degree of difficulty, resulting in incompletions and lost YAC opportunities. And as for his long ball, I really don't know what is going on there. But I think there is a dearth of QB friendly throws that could also be productive with too much weight being placed on Allen's shoulders to execute an aggressive pass happy attack. Neither Allen nor his complement of skill position players are capable of that right now. This is not the greatest show on turf. Allen may never make it but Daboll and McD are not doing him any favours.

Fair comment

5 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

I would never say there were not SOME great throws in the game. 

It's the rest that drives me nuts. 

Edited by london_bills

30 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you are hiding your QB after 20 starts the chances are you drafted the wrong Quarterback. 

I just looked at the Packers/Panthers box score. Packers have passed the ball 22 times and ran the ball 23 times. Bills today ran the ball 20 times and passed 41 times. Packers aren't hiding their QB. They're game planning against a weak run defense. That is what we needed to do today.

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

This is pretty much how I see it.  Part of the issue to me is that when I watch other teams, I see passes with that degree of “off placement” routinely hauled in.  I know that Dalton especially his first years was off on those kind of throws and AJ Green saved him.  Without AJ Green he doesn’t make it to his 3rd year IMO.  Similar kind of dynamic with some other QBs including some of the rookies pressed into service.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Haters should take a look! Do I think he plays well enough? Nope. But damn some of his critics on here are delusional. Not every 2nd year QB is like Mahomes nor plays like a veteran Brees/Rodgers.

some 2nd year QB’s are like Jackson.  And almost all can hit open WR’s deep

Allen remains our playmaker on offense. The Bills refuse to lean on Singletary and the WR corps is poor to say the least. We have a TE that has potential but is very raw and learning on the job. John Brown is nice but he is a #2 or #3 on any other good offense in this league. Beasley is a nice #3 if used right but the Bills don’t have a viable #3 wr let alone a #1 wr. There are no dynamic playmakers in the wr corps and if you watch other games there are plenty more options that other quarterbacks have. Heck, the Mayfield has Landry and Beckham as well as Chubb and Hunt in the backfield. Think about that for a minute and here in Buffalo we continue to trot out Frank Gore for long stretches of the game (nice story but he is no longer a playmaker and should have an extremely limited role on any above average offense). Too bad Beane did not add a WR at the deadline as the Bills desperately need a better weapon.

He tends to play his best when it matters the most.

Obviously, there are quite a few aspects to his game that he has to tighten up - but we have to stop pretending that a 2nd year QB is going to be this fully developed thing.  I hate to sound old, but I am - it used to be that rookies HAD to sit for a year or 2, and then it still took time to "get it."  The expectations are too big, too early.

I still think that class will be excellent - Darnold, Mayfield, Allen, obviously Jackson.  It takes time - Allen is improving, and we need to be patient.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, rayray808 said:

I would be upset with Allen if he played like this and we established the run... but we didnʻt.

He doesnʻt call the plays, he does the best with what is called.

Daboll needs to really think about his gameplan for Miami

The offensive game plan isn’t executed in isolation.  The DCs also scheme for the opponents weakness.