Josh Allen - week TEN report card

rayray808

18 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because when you draft a Quarterback 7th overall by his 20th game he has to be a big part of the offense. People can blame the playcaller. They are running from the unavoidable truth. It is time now for Josh to step up. He HAS to start playing better when the team needs him to. 

All I can say is not to hold your breath on Allen getting much better, no matter who is designing the offense or calling plays. Look at Lamar Jackson and how he has been improving by leaps and bounds as a passer this season, we're not seeing any of this from Allen. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look, this isn’t rocket science.  Some of the best QBs in the game today either sat for a couple of years, or spent their first few seasons leaning on a strong run game.  That would include Russ Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady.  Others took 3-4 years to develop.

If you draft a project QB, don’t put it all on his shoulders before they’re developed enough to take it.  If you don’t want to follow that strategy, don’t draft a project QB.  Mortgage the farm to sign Cousins or something.

With a project QB a year/ two years down the line

- with all the practice and further physical / mental experience the project QB gets, they are of course going to be further evaluated to get you closer to the answer of you what you didn't know when you drafted him -

Whether he is good enough or not. Whether he will fulfil the potential to be good enough. 

There is an argument also to put it on their shoulders to see if they have it. 

I don't see anything close to Wilson, rothlesburger or Brady at this point. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

If you are hiding your QB after 20 starts the chances are you drafted the wrong Quarterback. 

For me it's not about hiding the QB. It's about playing to the strengths of our offense. IMO our line is better at run blocking than pass blocking and Singletary makes plays happen even when they're not there. We don't really have anyone catching passes that can do that. Any time you are throwing to Andre Roberts you need to reevaluate your offense's identity. We have a starting veteran TE that I'm pretty sure has net negative yardage this year. I don't want to hide Allen, I want to hide most of the players around him.

• Like (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

On a positive note I am quite impressed with the 20 yard lasers today.  He made some great throws but seems like playcalling was a big issue when it counted. 

He actually played well today.  If we win he gets game ball.  Not sure who watches the games 

Interesting. I definitely watched a different game. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

McD trusted a kicker who has been horrible more than Allen. Either Allen isn’t good, McD is clueless or both. I’m losing confidence in both more each week

I think this is the conversation we should be having. Do McD/Daboll trust Allen to win/not lose the game? Consistently, they have been very conservative when it comes to handling Allen in game situations.

I find the end of this game very telling about where the coaching staff thinks Josh Allen is. Seriously, if you’re not willing to let your QB win the game then either you or the QB is the problem. Which is it?

Edited by eanyills

57 minutes ago, Real McCoy said:

McD this week in practice should pair Smoke and Foster  and throw 100 deep balls until they hit consistently. I have no idea wth is going on with his deep passes?

It needs to get fixed as I stated earlier. 

I don’t see what happens in practice, but if Allen is struggling in practice as well having him miss 100x would be silly.  If his QB coach and Daboll can’t see what the issue is they need to get an in-service from a Guest QB Guru.  As I understand it Tom Brady has gone to House in the middle of the season for a technique tune- up.

If Allen is making the throws vs air in practice but not in the game, then the issue isn’t technical but mental and they need to go there with it.  It may be something as simple as he’s too afraid to throw a pick, and his coaches need to tell him as Romo said he was told “I want you to risk throwing 1 or 2 picks a game on those long throws”

5 minutes ago, london_bills said:

With a project QB a year/ two years down the line

- with all the practice and further physical / mental experience the project QB gets, they are of course going to be further evaluated to get you closer to the answer of you what you didn't know when you drafted him -

Whether he is good enough or not. Whether he will fulfil the potential to be good enough. 

There is an argument also to put it on their shoulders to see if they have it. 

I don't see anything close to Wilson, rothlesburger or Brady at this point. 

You don’t see anything close to the run game or the rest of the team they had around them either, so, there’s that.

• Like (+1) 2

I think even Allen will tell you he doesn’t deserve that high of a grade.  He was off on a lot of this passes, even many that were caught.  Receivers had to slow down or reach back for the ball on quite a few plays, which also killed a drive

• Thank you (+1) 2

About as fair an assessment as you are going to get here.

Mixed bag today. Some poor throws early, some poor play calls or blown execution, some drops, some pressure in his face today, some great throws where he stepped into them.

Ball chopped out of his hand from behind so more ball security drills in his future.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look, this isn’t rocket science.  Some of the best QBs in the game today either sat for a couple of years, or spent their first few seasons leaning on a strong run game.  That would include Russ Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady.  Others took 3-4 years to develop.

If you draft a project QB, don’t put it all on his shoulders before they’re developed enough to take it.  If you don’t want to follow that strategy, don’t draft a project QB.  Mortgage the farm to sign Cousins or something.

I completely agree; it was completely irresponsible to give Allen no help last year and start him behind an offensive line of practice-squad level talent. Many of his problems stem from how he was forced to take the game on his shoulders and try to do it all last year with zero help or mentorship. They’ve done well in addressing the roster since then, but throwing him into the fire last year was completely irresponsible and will continue to have repercussions on his development. Even Mahomes would have struggled on last year.’s team. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

He actually played well today.  If we win he gets game ball.  Not sure who watches the games 

?

he didn’t play well by most standards.  260 yards on 41 pass attempts, zero TDs, 14 total points on offense. That’s not good. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Hebert19 said:

On a positive note I am quite impressed with the 20 yard lasers today.  He made some great throws but seems like playcalling was a big issue when it counted. 

People even ones who know football are pathetic today because they lost

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

For me it's not about hiding the QB. It's about playing to the strengths of our offense. IMO our line is better at run blocking than pass blocking and Singletary makes plays happen even when they're not there. We don't really have anyone catching passes that can do that. Any time you are throwing to Andre Roberts you need to reevaluate your offense's identity. We have a starting veteran TE that I'm pretty sure has net negative yardage this year. I don't want to hide Allen, I want to hide most of the players around him.

Gotta agree.

Allen didn't fail today...he delivered under constant pressure and no run game.

The coaching sucked today.

Defense surrendered a TD drive after Allen got them a 4pt lead.

Kicker missed two field goals that Allen had nice drives to get within range.

People harp on the deep ball too much. It's a low percentage play that doesn't hit all that often. I'd like to see it hit , but it's not the end all be all that many make it to be. I also think he's still working on it and it will come around. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, dubs said:

?

he didn’t play well by most standards.  260 yards on 41 pass attempts, zero TDs, 14 total points on offense. That’s not good. 

Overall, no he didn’t but even the praise-chary McDermott noted that Allen did some good things in the game, including some good throws he wouldn’t have made last year.