Josh Allen - week TEN report card

rayray808

Just now, GunnerBill said:

He is right to take this one him. He was a big part of why we failed to win today. The kicker didn't help of course. 

From shoutbox and other, you and I disagree and won’t persuade each other so I’ll leave it at this:

Yes, you are correct Allen is a big part of why we failed to win today, but that simply raises the question of why he was such a big part of why we failed to win today.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, it’s a big mistake.  But with a fullback, a HOFEr, and a rookie who was hot hot hot last week, what does it say if our QB who is struggling with fumbles is the best choice at that point?

He doesn’t have the yips.  They need to fly in House or Palmer for a workshop with him

Allen fumbled and it's someone else's fault? 

He got their only 2 TDs, by rushing. Perhaps he is their best option in that situation.

If a QB throws a ball into a defender's hands but you didn't like the call, the QB didn't screw up?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From shoutbox and other, you and I disagree and won’t persuade each other so I’ll leave it at this:

Yes, you are correct Allen is a big part of why we failed to win today, but that simply raises the question of why he was such a big part of why we failed to win today.

Because when you draft a Quarterback 7th overall by his 20th game he has to be a big part of the offense. People can blame the playcaller. They are running from the unavoidable truth. It is time now for Josh to step up. He HAS to start playing better when the team needs him to. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I am sure the offensive line would appreciate getting to run block a bit more too. I don’t think throwing 44 times with Allen is really the recipe for success right now.

At this point I’d rather just see what we have in Allen. 40 throws isn’t to much for Jones, for Darnold, for Mayfield, for Murray. We need Allen to be able to shoulder a game, with his arm. At this point, I don’t think he can do it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Kemp said:

Allen fumbled and it's someone else's fault? 

He got their only 2 TDs, by rushing. Perhaps he is their best option in that situation.

If a QB throws a ball into a defender's hands but you didn't like the call, the QB didn't screw up?

That’s really pretty far afield, I think, from anything I said.  What part of “yes, that was a big mistake” wasn’t sufficiently clear?

Just now, dubs said:

At this point I’d rather just see what we have in Allen. 40 throws isn’t to much for Jones, for Darnold, for Mayfield, for Murray. We need Allen to be able to shoulder a game, with his arm. At this point, I don’t think he can do it. 

Oh I agree with you - he should be able to handle it. I am not seeing it. Yes, the coaching hasn’t helped at all and penalties on offense have killed some drives. But he appears to show the same few mistakes and bad tendencies every week. 

• Like (+1) 1

How many times was Cleveland in Allen's face immediately?  Maybe Allen needs to recognize that better, but he's still relatively inexperienced.  Think the O-line is still one good stud away from not hurting the team overall.

They also are a long way from having a top level WR core.  Brown and Beasley are keepers and probably Roberts for his ST play, but the rest need a big improvement from.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because when you draft a Quarterback 7th overall by his 20th game he has to be a big part of the offense. People can blame the playcaller. They are running from the unavoidable truth. It is time now for Josh to step up. He HAS to start playing better when the team needs him to. 

I sit corrected.  When the team chooses to trade up and use a 7th round pick on a known developmental project guy they initially plan to sit for his first year, they should absolutely drive his development by his draft status and not by a realistic look of where he is, what they can do to maximize his development and chance of success, and a realistic assessment of the team’s strengths/weaknesses at OL and skill positions.  Got it.

[the above text may or may not contain high doses of sarcasm]

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

Agree. 

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

How many times was Cleveland in Allen's face immediately?  Maybe Allen needs to recognize that better, but he's still relatively inexperienced.  Think the O-line is still one good stud away from not hurting the team overall.

They also are a long way from having a top level WR core.  Brown and Beasley are keepers and probably Roberts for his ST play, but the rest need a big improvement from.

You see I don't think experience will make him a considerably better QB. 

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I sit corrected.  When the team chooses to trade up and use a 7th round pick on a known developmental project guy they initially plan to sit for his first year, they should absolutely drive his development by his draft status and not by a realistic look of where he is, what they can do to maximize his development and chance of success, and a realistic assessment of the team’s strengths/weaknesses at OL and skill positions.  Got it.

[the above text may or may not contain high doses of sarcasm]

What you are advocating just kicks the can. As the Bears are finding out to their cost. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really really like Allen too. And I hope it clicks very soon. I had a ton of hope at the beginning of the year and have liked some of the improvement I’ve seen in parts of his game. Overall though I’m losing hope and patience. At this point I’d hoped to see more than just brief flashes. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

What you are advocating just kicks the can. As the Bears are finding out to their cost. 

Look, this isn’t rocket science.  Some of the best QBs in the game today either sat for a couple of years, or spent their first few seasons leaning on a strong run game.  That would include Russ Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady.  Others took 3-4 years to develop.

If you draft a project QB, don’t put it all on his shoulders before they’re developed enough to take it.  If you don’t want to follow that strategy, don’t draft a project QB.  Mortgage the farm to sign Cousins or something.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

On a positive note I am quite impressed with the 20 yard lasers today.  He made some great throws but seems like playcalling was a big issue when it counted. 

4 minutes ago, dubs said:

I really really like Allen too. And I hope it clicks very soon. I had a ton of hope at the beginning of the year and have liked some of the improvement I’ve seen in parts of his game. Overall though I’m losing hope and patience. At this point I’d hoped to see more than just brief flashes. 

He actually played well today.  If we win he gets game ball.  Not sure who watches the games 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yes, but perhaps until he gets it together, the O needs to take it off his shoulders.  What kind of a “good play calling” OC can’t get a 3rd and 4 without pushing a long ball?  That’s bull crap

Other than Dawkins, Allen, and DiMarco, virtually this entire offense is new to the team. The free agency moves have been hits at good value, and we have space and flexibility next offseason. There will be plenty more lapses in execution. But the offense looks more coordinated each week. No idea why Allen can’t place deep balls even with time and space, and there’s no question that we needed to use Singletary more. I think that fans need to recognize just how bad last year’s offense was and appreciate that there will be growing pains. If we can’t hang with the Cowboys, Ravens, or Pats I’ll be more concerned, but I think there’s plenty to be optimistic about unlike past teams (Whaley’s refusal to move on from Manuel earlier, + the support around our rookie QB thrown into the fire, set the team back tremendously). I don’t think that we reasonably could have done better in the offseason relative to the rest of the league. 

9 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This. John Brown is a very good #2 receiver. Beasley is a solid slot receiver. Not good that our next guy down is a career kick returner and then we have McKenzie as a gadget guy. But I also don't know where we're going to find a top end receiver next year. If Green becomes available I'd sign him as a stop gap and draft a WR in the 1st round.

Our WR corps is admittedly not the strongest and could certainly do with an upgrade. Now that Beane and Coach have passed on a couple of players who could have helped raise the general level (Gordon, Sanders) we will, I assume, have to wait until the draft. But even a top shelf receiver would probably make little difference in this offence right now and there's no doubt in my mind that much better use could be made of the weapons we've already got. I think the Bills get pretty much the best out of their players on D. Much less than the best on O. IMO some of that is on Allen but it's too early to single him out. Game planning and play calling are the more likely culprits. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look, this isn’t rocket science.  Some of the best QBs in the game today either sat for a couple of years, or spent their first few seasons leaning on a strong run game.  That would include Russ Wilson, Ben Roethlisberger, and Tom Brady.  Others took 3-4 years to develop.

If you draft a project QB, don’t put it all on his shoulders before they’re developed enough to take it.  If you don’t want to follow that strategy, don’t draft a project QB.  Mortgage the farm to sign Cousins or something.

Brady threw is 600 times his first full season as a starter (ie the year after he won the Superbowl). That is his 6th highest attempts year of his career. 

If you are hiding your QB after 20 starts the chances are you drafted the wrong Quarterback. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1