This loss could be the start of the collapse (schedule talk)

dayman

Call them one game at a time.  I picked Cleveland because of their talent in skill positions and the fact it was do or die for them.  Miami is the key game IMO.  Daboll has to take the reins off Allen and design a game plan that plays to his strengths.  

Just now, Nextmanup said:

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.

Today was a bad loss because, for the first time this year, we lost to a bad team. 

As long as we continued to beat the bad teams and lost to the good ones, we should have had our 10 win season, if not more.

We definitely made things tougher now.

I'm not that concerned, though, because this a one and done playoff team anyway, should we actually make the playoffs.

Playoffs?

The collapse is already here. We just lost against the Browns. If we somehow squirrel our way into the playoffs we will lose the 1st game. 

I’ll give Allen a few more games to prove himself but Allen is missing on so many wide open WR’s. 

On Thanksgiving every Bills fan should be betting on Dallas and making at least 300$ like me. If you have Zeke in FFL you are basically guaranteed a win. 

Bills will win few of their remaining games because the offense is putrid. Daboll is a complete fool, they don’t run the ball very well, and have no WRs after Brown and Beasley. They might be able to handle MIA and NYJ et home. Denver would be the other possible win after those two. That’s 9-7 at best and not good enough for a playoff spot. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

There has to be a process though, and a drawn out one to get them to where they need to be.

A company as big as the Bills employs hundreds of people, that all need to be pulling in unison towards a common goal. 

The results are measured in seasons, not games.

Our first season with this regime was the most succseful in 20 years.

The next season, we started a rookie QB and shed salaries to get out of cap hell. Finished stronger than we started and entered this year with optimism.
This year, they started better than they have in 30 years. They lost to a talented team on the road by a field goal. The next two games are winnable, and Buf will be favored. Even splitting them has us at 7-4, needing to finish 2-3 down the stretch to (likely) make the playoffs. Again, probably sitting better after 11 games than we have in a quarter century.

Look around the league, watch other games. We're right there with every team that isn't New England (although they got rolled up on last week) as good enough to win, enough weaknesses to lose. That's how the league is designed, by the way.

If I'm being honest, I'm extremely skeptical as to whether not Josh Allen is the answer. I did not like the pick initially. He played far better as a rookie than I envisioned. He showed marked improvement at the beginning of this season. Over the past several weeks, there just hasn't been the type of progress I'd expect to see from a 2nd year QB. He's completely stagnant. There are a plethora of other folks involved; the OC, the OL, the receivers. But if the OC isn't the answer, what does that say about the process? We're talking about McD's second offensive coordinator in 3 years. So we fire Daboll and bring in a THIRD? That doesn't seem like a well oiled machine. 

The bottom line is this; if Allen doesn't get better, the process won't work. I'm not saying he WON'T get better. I am saying I'm skeptical. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, MDH said:

I see WRs running open down field and across the middle and the QB missing by a mile on long throws and throwing consistently low and behind WRs over the middle. He’s almost always a split second slow on his throws as well. This last critique I’ll forgive because he’s a young QB and the game moves fast for young QBs.

The inaccurate throws aren’t a product of being young.

I agree. He still has the same issues that he had in college. He has never been an accurate qb. Seems like it’s an uphill battle for him to improve 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Nitro said:

Call them one game at a time.  I picked Cleveland because of their talent in skill positions and the fact it was do or die for them.  Miami is the key game IMO.  Daboll has to take the reins off Allen and design a game plan that plays to his strengths.  

They are clearly afraid to do that because when the reigns come off and the throttle goes to the floor, Allen turns the ball over.

Just now, LSHMEAB said:

If I'm being honest, I'm extremely skeptical as to whether not Josh Allen is the answer. I did not like the pick initially. He played far better as a rookie than I envisioned. He showed marked improvement at the beginning of this season. Over the past several weeks, there just hasn't been the type of progress I'd expect to see from a 2nd year QB. He's completely stagnant. There are a plethora of other folks involved; the OC, the OL, the receivers. But if the OC isn't the answer, what does that say about the process? We're talking about McD's second offensive coordinator in 3 years. So we fire Daboll and bring in a THIRD? That doesn't seem like a well oiled machine. 

The bottom line is this; if Allen doesn't get better, the process won't work. I'm not saying he WON'T get better. I am saying I'm skeptical. 

I agree, I’m very close to turning on Allen. I’m afraid to rewatch the game my usual 3 times because Allen might make me sick. If there is a QB in FA or the Draft we need to pull the trigger.

1 minute ago, pop gun said:

Should this happen and they miss the playoffs after starting 6-2 McDermott and the whole coaching stuff better be fired.

McD won’t be, but Daboll will be gone. They’re just not that good, and when they play teams with more talent they can’t compete. No running game, no WRs besides Brown and Beasley. Offensive design is unimaginative . The defense is pretty good, but not great at pass rush or taking the ball away. 

• Like (+1) 1

With the infusion of talent on the offense, they are only averaging 3 more points per game.  There has to be a culture change and it starts with the OC.  Stop hiring guys with shaky track records. Get a young and bright coach to be the OC.  Daboll bores me.

I want to be optimistic, the team is still 6-3 and there is more talent on the team than there has been in awhile.   I just feel like the main problem is that the coaching gets in it's own way.

Half of me wants to say "relax, the rest of the schedule isn't bad, we will get back on track over the next two weeks and get 10-11 wins.   The other half of me remembers 2008 and 2011, sees Miami currently ahead of Indy late in the game and generally being competitive over the last four weeks and gets a horrible sinking feeling that makes me not want to even watch the game next week.

Edited by dgrochester55

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

McD won’t be, but Daboll will be gone. They’re just not that good, and when they play teams with more talent they can’t compete. No running game, no WRs besides Brown and Beasley. Offensive design is unimaginative . The defense is pretty good, but not great at pass rush or taking the ball away. 

We might have a running game but we will never know as long as a 36 yo Gore who now runs a 4.80 40 is getting majority of the carries. After watching replays there is no ***** way other teams are afraid that Gore will beat them. He can’t beat a DT to the edge on a sweep and looks like he is wearing cement shoes. 

My expectations are extremely tempered. This offense has zero elite talent

27 minutes ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

The collapse is already here. We just lost against the Browns. If we somehow squirrel our way into the playoffs we will lose the 1st game. 

I’ll give Allen a few more games to prove himself but Allen is missing on so many wide open WR’s. 

On Thanksgiving every Bills fan should be betting on Dallas and making at least 300$ like me. If you have Zeke in FFL you are basically guaranteed a win. 

The Browns also smoked the Ravens 40-25.  They have talent.  I picked them to win today.  Bills seem to be holding themselves back which is annoying.

Holy cow! Folks are going crazy following a loss calling for McD's job? That's crazy talk. We're in year two after a complete team overhaul. We're 6-3 with a reasonable chance of getting to the post season.  We're certainly better than last year.  We may or may not win a bunch more games this year, but I certainly don't see this team collapsing.  We have a promising young QB who is decent and getting better.  We have several winnable games left on the schedule. We have $85M in cap space next year which can be used to help sign an extra play maker or two on each side of the ball and also maintain good depth.  The process hasn't led to 19-0 this year, but it does appear to be working, despite the unfortunate loss today.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Am I the the only one who thought Josh played well with the plays he was given by a suspect o coordinator? His progression is really all that matters in the big picture.

Played well compared to whom?  JP Losman?  Trent Edwards?  Ryan Fitzpatrick when FitzMagic is MIA?  EJ Manuel?  Kyle Orton?  Tyrod Taylor after his promising first season as a starter?  The scariest part of this loss was that it was like a replay of so many crappy losses with any of the above crappy QBs.

1 hour ago, BuffaloMatt said:

It has to be on Dabol. Critical play calling has killed us all year. Key word critical. And I don't want to hear about checking out of plays. Garbage scheme. 

If Daboll is a failure, why does McDermott get a pass???  Daboll is his second OC in three seasons.  McDermott's philosophy -- strong defense, barely functional offense charged with not losing the game -- hasn't been a successful strategy in the NFL in this century. 

25 minutes ago, JohnnyGold said:

There has to be a process though, and a drawn out one to get them to where they need to be.

A company as big as the Bills employs hundreds of people, that all need to be pulling in unison towards a common goal. 

The results are measured in seasons, not games.

Our first season with this regime was the most succseful in 20 years.

The next season, we started a rookie QB and shed salaries to get out of cap hell. Finished stronger than we started and entered this year with optimism.
This year, they started better than they have in 30 years. They lost to a talented team on the road by a field goal. The next two games are winnable, and Buf will be favored. Even splitting them has us at 7-4, needing to finish 2-3 down the stretch to (likely) make the playoffs. Again, probably sitting better after 11 games than we have in a quarter century.

Look around the league, watch other games. We're right there with every team that isn't New England (although they got rolled up on last week) as good enough to win, enough weaknesses to lose. That's how the league is designed, by the way.

Point 1: McDermott and Beane's "process" appears to be the very same one that the Bills have been employing for the last twenty years: the pursuit of mediocrity with the promise of "wait until next year".

Point 2: Take your own advice and watch other games.  Both Kyle Allen and Mason Rudolph are playing considerably better than Josh Allen, not just today but since they've become regular starters.  Give an honorable mention to Jags' rookie QB Gardner Minshew, too.