This loss could be the start of the collapse (schedule talk)

dayman

No... not a collapse.  Mistakes were definitely made in this one but they'll bounce back. This lost doesn't make me feel differently about our team 

Edited by Scorp83
  • Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, MDH said:

I see WRs running open down field and across the middle and the QB missing by a mile on long throws and throwing consistently low and behind WRs over the middle. He’s almost always a split second slow on his throws as well. This last critique I’ll forgive because he’s a young QB and the game moves fast for young QBs.

The inaccurate throws aren’t a product of being young.

Bad mechanics and if they are not fixed by now they most likely won’t be.  Same problems he had in college.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

Bad mechanics and if they are not fixed by now they most likely won’t be.  Same problems he had in college.

I love the kid and think he is great for the community.  Just like JP Losman who planted some trees in the City of Buffalo.  Unfortunately is doesn’t make you a franchise QB.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills could win any of the games left on their schedule, including at New England.

I love this team, they're young, hungry, and could have won today. Haus missed some long field goals, but we're talking a few yards difference between winning and losing. Hey, if Chubb doesn't cough up the rock vs New England, the Browns could have beaten them too. Talented team on both offense and defense, tough game on the road, Vegas saw us as 3 point dogs and what do ya know, 3 point loss.

At the moment, the Colts are losing to the Dolphins. Early line is Buf -7.5 at Miami next week.

In my opinion, any team could beat any team in the AFC this year, hell, the NFC too. No dominant teams means any given Sunday...

Chubb absolutely didn't kill us today. A few big runs but not consistently gashing us like before. The D came to play, they did great. Josh played well, a few over throws and that fumble was almost killer.
Eh, IDK, that was a good game for me. 

Not trying to be the eternal optimist, but I saw that 9-7 Giants team in 08 catch lightening in a bottle and run the table in the playoffs with a defense built to rush 4 and shut down wideouts. They would get gashed on occasion too, and had a QB who could do a little bit more, but avoided the big mistakes like Josh does.

Bills should be favored in the next two, which means they have the inside path to 8-3. 

Dal-Bal-NE decides the season, likely, and 2/3 of those will be nationally televised. Depending on how Thanksgiving goes, maybe the Baltimore game gets flexed.

Hey man, it's the NFL, the truest thing Jauron ever said was that it's hard to win in this league. It is. Bills are winning at a 2:1 ratio. Losses are gonna happen. 

Even if they go 8-8, they've shown me more than enough to bring back the entire front office, coaching staff, and QB for the next 2 years, but if Pegula came out and said tonight he wanted to keep them for 3 I'd celebrate.

I believe in what they're doing, I believe in what I'm seeing. They look like any other GOOD NFL team--ya win some ya lose some. Enjoy the ride.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 hour ago, dayman said:

Not going to complain (in this topic anyway) about all the specifics that were so wrong with this game but the short of it is that today really highlighted all of our shortcomings in 1 game and resulted in us losing against a bad football team. Sure, the Browns added talent but they showed exactly why they don't win today very clearly and we basically out-Browns'd them anyway. 

So, to put in context how important this loss was to us: 

@Miami - Almost beat us at home recently and plays much better with Fitz at QB. We'll probably win but could easily lose. 

vBroncos - 50/50 at best...odds are the Broncos beat us. They're at least good enough to beat the Browns. 

@Cowboys - Obvious loss

vRavens - Obvious loss

@Steelers  - 50/50 at best, not a game we are likely to win on the road. 

@NE - Obvious loss

v.Jets - Again, we could easily lose. Probably win though. 

Bottom line is we're looking at a 9-7 records assuming we take care of business against Jets, Miami, and spit with Broncos/Steelers. We have to do that AND either sweep the Steelers/Broncos match-ups or beat one of the vastly superior teams (Ravens, Pats, Cowboys) to get to 10. 

Today was a terrible loss. 6-3 for now but the cakewalk schedule is about to heat up. 

I agree about the next few games. I think we land somewhere between 7-9 and 9-7. 6-10 would not surprise me, 10-6 would be a shock. 

1 hour ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

Could be. If the coaching on offense doesn’t improve every game is 50/50 at best. We also have a HC who plays scared and afraid to allow his offense win a game. 

Huh?!? We've gone for it on 4th down a number of times recently.  Including today.  Our HC is the best we've had in 20 years.  Daboll is doing very well too.  Execution isn't there

1 hour ago, FUTURIST said:

Dallas beat the Eagles.  They are a physical team.  They will run all over the Bills.  The Bills can not beat a physical team.

Yeah, the one team they beat.  They also got demolished by the Jets.  I mean, destroyed.  By the Jets.

Edited by Mark80

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

This team needs a new HC.  I wish Beane was in charge and not McDermott, it means we have to wait another 2-3 excruciating seasons for Pegula to do something about Mcdermott.

Not sure I agree that he *needs* to go at this point.  However, he did get out coached today by arguably the worst coach in the NFL.  

1 hour ago, LSHMEAB said:

That would definitely precipitate a collapse. I think they win. It's not like I'm enthused by any of it. What we're looking at is a typical mediocre, middling season. Are Beane/McDermott/Allen ANOTHER perennial 8-8/9-7 ensemble? That's the worst case scenario. 

That's what makes this "process" so frustrating as a fan. They can always fall back on the notion that this was a long term rebuild whatever that means; and it has SOME merit. But when is enough enough? We're quickly heading into NEXT YEAR is our year territory. Been here before.

There has to be a process though, and a drawn out one to get them to where they need to be.

A company as big as the Bills employs hundreds of people, that all need to be pulling in unison towards a common goal. 

The results are measured in seasons, not games.

Our first season with this regime was the most succseful in 20 years.

The next season, we started a rookie QB and shed salaries to get out of cap hell. Finished stronger than we started and entered this year with optimism.
This year, they started better than they have in 30 years. They lost to a talented team on the road by a field goal. The next two games are winnable, and Buf will be favored. Even splitting them has us at 7-4, needing to finish 2-3 down the stretch to (likely) make the playoffs. Again, probably sitting better after 11 games than we have in a quarter century.

Look around the league, watch other games. We're right there with every team that isn't New England (although they got rolled up on last week) as good enough to win, enough weaknesses to lose. That's how the league is designed, by the way.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, peterpan said:

Huh?!? We've gone for it on 4th down a number of times recently.  Including today.  Our HC is the best we've had in 20 years.  Daboll is doing very well too.  Execution isn't there

Best coach in 20 years is saying nothing. Daboll is not doing very well. Singletary got 8 carries today for 48 yards. 6.0 ypc. If Daboll was some great coach he wouldn’t still be a coordinator.

Daboll outsmarts himself and thinks it’s all scheme. Putting the right players in the right position is just as important as the play being called. Today Beasley was used better but still not great. Beasley on the 3-2 going on a deep pattern was a waste. Use Beasley on a crossing patter for the first down there. 

The problem is the offense. 

1 hour ago, dayman said:

Not going to complain (in this topic anyway) about all the specifics that were so wrong with this game but the short of it is that today really highlighted all of our shortcomings in 1 game and resulted in us losing against a bad football team. Sure, the Browns added talent but they showed exactly why they don't win today very clearly and we basically out-Browns'd them anyway. 

So, to put in context how important this loss was to us: 

@Miami - Almost beat us at home recently and plays much better with Fitz at QB. We'll probably win but could easily lose. 

vBroncos - 50/50 at best...odds are the Broncos beat us. They're at least good enough to beat the Browns. 

@Cowboys - Obvious loss

vRavens - Obvious loss

@Steelers  - 50/50 at best, not a game we are likely to win on the road. 

@NE - Obvious loss

v.Jets - Again, we could easily lose. Probably win though. 

Bottom line is we're looking at a 9-7 records assuming we take care of business against Jets, Miami, and spit with Broncos/Steelers. We have to do that AND either sweep the Steelers/Broncos match-ups or beat one of the vastly superior teams (Ravens, Pats, Cowboys) to get to 10. 

Today was a terrible loss. 6-3 for now but the cakewalk schedule is about to heat up. 

I agree with pretty much everything you wrote here.

Today was a bad loss because, for the first time this year, we lost to a bad team. 

As long as we continued to beat the bad teams and lost to the good ones, we should have had our 10 win season, if not more.

We definitely made things tougher now.

I'm not that concerned, though, because this a one and done playoff team anyway, should we actually make the playoffs.